Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spring Bass

White-Luck Warrior X: X Marks the Slog

There is something I'm thinking back on from WLW which confuses the Hell out of me, and I can't remember if we've discussed it or not.

I might be reading something the wrong way, but it seemed to be implied in turns both that The Consult was trying to protect Mimara and that it was trying to replace her w/ a skin spy. Did anyone else get that impression? If so, what gives?

I think that may be right. I think I remember the thing showing up with her face on it a couple times, but they also seem determined to protect her. I liked WLW a lot, but I really feel like it didn't answer anything that was left hanging at the end of TJE concerning Mimara and her new role in the "pantheon."

ETA: I also wonder if Arthmail would be happier if The Slog of Slogs! replaced EAMD as the go-to catch phrase.

Well, we know that it showed up more than just once in the text! :lol:

Slog of Slogs doesn't have the same cliched nature, as it doesn't show up in the first trilogy. I think Raidne hit the nail when she said the thing that gets old is the feeling the author thinks your mind should be blown by the EAMD stuff.

I think the first trilogy was fine in this regard, as it's all about Kellhus's manipulations. The second is where the bon mots get stale.

On a more serious note, Bakker mentions his TUC schedule:

Still working on it, every morning seven days a week. This is a different schedule for me – having a kid completely precludes vanishing for weeks in fits of manic creativity. Add to that the fact that I can only work on it part-time… It’s up to 150 000 words, maybe three quarters or so done. I’m VERY happy with it so far. Beyond that, I don’t know what to say. Sorry Mike. This is completely new territory for me!

eta: issues with link, removed it. anywho it was on his blog comments.

That sounds encouraging overall. I would think that early 2013 is still the earliest-case scenario, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it slides into Summer or Fall.

I just hope that it's 2013.

Nah, if he is at two thirds now, then early 2013 is out of the question. If he could finish the book before the year is out, which I would imagine could be a goal for him given how far he is, it'll be August-September at the very earliest.

Nah, if he is at two thirds now, then early 2013 is out of the question. If he could finish the book before the year is out, which I would imagine could be a goal for him given how far he is, it'll be August-September at the very earliest.

Well, he did say 3/4 and not 2/3. That makes it seem to me like finishing in 2012 is hardly out of the question.

Is it usually about 6 months to get to market once the author submits their final script?

For GRRM yes. But he's an exception. What I can tell you is that the time between handing in the manuscript for White Luck Warrior and it's actual US publication, was 11/12 months.

So in Bakker's case, if he manages to finish before the end of the year, a Fall release date is sadly the best that can be hoped for, which will make it 2.5 years since WLW was released.

Not an expert on this, but grrm handed in the final thing on april 20th, which was 3 months before publication. I know this was superfast and most of the editing was already done, etc.. But isnt 1 year a bit on the long side?

I would think that summer is still possible. But i guess it depends how he deals with his new time schedule

Does he have a contract with a publisher to make the final books in the series after Unholy Consult? I remember that being a potential issue.

The turnaround time is largely out of bakkers hands regardless. If a publisher has a slot open it'll come out then. If not, he'll wait. He's not like Martin where he'll just get everyone to move things completely out of the way. He has to wait some.

And that can mean a year - or more.

But to think that it’s only year 8-of-the-Darkness-that-Comes-Before.

Good point. But Bakker should realize there's only so much time to convince the Kingdoms of Men that the Non-God is due to rise and we must raise an Ordeal to New Jersey Golgotterath to stop this...

Does he have a contract with a publisher to make the final books in the series after Unholy Consult? I remember that being a potential issue.

Don't think that that has been disclosed to anyone. I actually suspect that there isn't one, and that they look into that as they go along, reviewing sales and such. The reason I think there isn't one is:

1) Scott's lamentations on his blog, at least back when one could find a non-philosophy post, about sales, going to back to teaching andsoforth. It at no point suggests to me that his writing future has been secured beyond TUC.

2) I remember speaking with Penguin Canada a few years ago about when The Judging Eye would come out, and I got a reply from them there was no new Bakker book under contract at this point, and this was well post- TTT publication. This employee may have been misinformed though, or not, but again it sounds as if they review it as they go along.

I'd be happy for at least this last book in the trilogy to come out myself, that would be a sigh of relief. Similar to Winds of Winter.

R. Scott Bakker is not your caste-menial.

In this case I think it is fair enough he is taking longer. He's had to start a day job again and he now has family committments.

With regards to contracts for the final two books - I'm sure it's fairly normal for them not be contracted until nearer the time (I was staggerred that Adrian Tchaikovsky's book 10 had only just been commissioned and that's when he was turning in book 9 of a series that was always proposed as a 10 parter).

I'm not sure what the working environment in writing in Canada is like but from authors I've met in the UK, you pretty much have to have a day job unless you hit big with a series (Abercrombie) or write enough books, screenplays etc to get by (Chris Wooding). While it's a crying shame that Bakker's series isn't big (and I'm convinced one day it will be) it doesn't surprise me that he can't make a living solely off the writing.

Hopefully he can adjust to the different approach and I'll be happy to wait longer for the books to eventually turn up.

Fingers crossed he considers self-publishing if he doesn't get a contract for the duology. Digital distribution should be relatively cheap and I'd hope there's enough of a fanbase to encourage him to finish.

I think Wert had mentioned in the past that the UK sales were solid enough that they'll keep publishing the books. It's just the US publisher that has been troubling. If worse comes to worse (and Bakker decides to keep going), we can always pay to have the book imported.

I think Wert had mentioned in the past that the UK sales were solid enough that they'll keep publishing the books. It's just the US publisher that has been troubling. If worse comes to worse (and Bakker decides to keep going), we can always pay to have the book imported.

To be fair, his books are on most shelves of bookstores in the UK. Maybe we have better taste or like alien attacks.