Ciarán Hinds is Mance Rayder

Westeros

I think he is about the right age. Mance isn't suppose to be a young guy if he is described with grey hair with lines on his face. This guy can pull it off.

Yeah, I think a lot of people picture Mance as way younger than he actually is. I would picture Mance, in the books, in his late 40s or early 50s. Considering they have aged everyone up in the show, for the most part, I'd say a 60 year old playing Mance is fine.

Plus he is a great actor. I'd rather them get a great actor playing the role than one that looks exactly like the way they are described in the books.

Excellent. They did mention in S1 that Mance was King-beyond-the-Wall more than a decade before the events of the series, so he was always going to be older than in the books. West would have been great, but I think Hinds has the potential to be even better.

I love Hinds, and I think he's a positively phenomenal actor, but I don't like him as The Mance. He looks exactly like someone that could unite the Seven Kingdoms behind him, but not like someone that could use his wit, charm, and prowess to unite the Free Folk, nor someone that could slip past the Wall and blend in perfectly at Robert's feast at Winterfell. I'm sure they'll adjust the character to make him more Hinds-like, but that's a change that I certainly see as a negative. The Wildlings follow fire, he's ice.

If he has the range to prove me wrong then I'll be ecstatic.

Quite a coup.

I am thinking D and D would have loved to have him, same almost A-list type as Bean, but would think the part was offered to some others first.

He may have asked HBO or had his agent.

Maybe a script came his way and like Charles Dance, took the part because he liked the writing.

I wonder what his contract looks like? I mean he is in demand right now, 3 movies, and the Political Animals mini series.

His involvement may have to more than even two seasons.

Lord he has the chops, maybe more than Bean had.

One of the finest actors around right now, gives the whole Wall scenario some real class.

Archived