The Lord Regent of Westeros

SeannieWanKenobi

Cersei becoming regent was a matter of "might makes right"; Ned was the lawful regent, according to Robert's will.

Now that Cersei has no power or prestige left, she has no might, so she has no right, either. She has no legal right to be the regent, and she has not the power to take the regency by force, as she once did. I guess the Council would be the one to nominate a new regent, and the Council is controlled by the Tyrells.

Cersei becoming regent was a matter of "might makes right"; Ned was the lawful regent, according to Robert's will.

Now that Cersei has no power or prestige left, she has no might, so she has no right, either. She has no legal right to be the regent, and she has not the power to take the regency by force, as she once did. I guess the Council would be the one to nominate a new regent, and the Council is controlled by the Tyrells.

She is Tommen´s Mother and Robert´s widow it´s legal for the widow of a King/Lord to be regent until the heir comes out of age. Lysa did the same in the Vale and Cersei was the regent before. She is the Lady of Casterly Rock and rules over the Westerlands now so she has still some power left. I am not sure if it is enough to become Queen regent again, but she will definitly try it again. Lord Tyrell will try it, too.

They controll the council now, the council members who are are stil loyal too the Lannisters aren´t poweful. Maester Pycelle is dead and the master of coin is probably on his way to Bravos right now.

So the Tyerlls have really good chances too name Mace Tyrell Lord Regent.

But the Martells are moving too and they will not like a Tyrell as Lord Regent and a council which is ruled by the Tyrells.

I think their will be more chaos in the realm and Aegon and Dany will benefit of it.

There are many people who will try to seize the position, Cersei will try if Ser Strong can defend her, Mace will try, and he would be especially successful if Marge marries Tommen, the surviving Lannisters with the exception of Jamie will try too.

She is Tommen´s Mother and Robert´s widow it´s legal for the widow of a King/Lord to be regent until the heir comes out of age.

I'm not sure the mother of an underaged king has to be the regent in Westeros; they don't like ruling queens too much there. If the previous king didn't arranged it in his will, the Council will probably have to select one.

1. Marg is in the Red Keep where there are Lannister guards.

All the girls, Margaery and her retinue, are in Randyll Tarly's custody. Tarly's a seasoned soldier, unlike Cersei, with a huge army, again unlike Cersei. She's no more likely to overpower Tarly, than she's to outsmart Littlefinger.

2. The problem with that dialogue is if Tyrell had Tarly do that, he would be having the Tyrell girls lose their heads for his lack of cooperation, that is what hostages are for.

Even assuming for the sake of the argument that Cersei had those hostages, that's hardly enough to force the Tyrells to give up the kingdom. "You give up everything or risk losing a handful of second and third cousins"? Sorry, Mace will sooner see their heads fall off. BTW, can you, without looking up, name the girls and their parents? I surely couldn't.

It's King Regent, not Lord, and it's the Small Council that chooses it, therefore it will be Mace Tyrell. Logically speaking, it's simply impossible to be someone else.

But it's Lord Regent. "I do hereby command Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King, to serve as Lord Regent and Protector of the Realm..."

But it's Lord Regent. "I do hereby command Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King, to serve as Lord Regent and Protector of the Realm..."

The usage of the title regent just gets paired with whatever title the regent already bears - Queen Regent, Prince Regent, Lord Regent, etc. In the extremely unlikely scenario that an untitled minister is appointed regent, they'd probably either address him as 'lord regent' as a courtesy, or just style him, Ser Alvin Marbrand, Regent of the Seven Kingdoms or something..

If I was Cersei, I would get my ass so fast to Casterly Rock ... With her brother gone walkabouts, it is completely vulnerable. She wouldn't leave Tommen, though, and I agree that she's in no position at all to take back the reins of power. Mace will make himself Regent and Tarly will become Hand under the might = right rule, methinks.

I don't think we've seen the last of Cersei but in the immediate aftermath of Kevins death I think Mace will name himself regent and give hand of the king to Tarly. Then when Cersei wins her trial and something else crazy happens like Mace getting killed by Aegon or Tarly defecting to Aegon we will see Cersei make her move.

All the girls, Margaery and her retinue, are in Randyll Tarly's custody. Tarly's a seasoned soldier, unlike Cersei, with a huge army, again unlike Cersei. She's no more likely to overpower Tarly, than she's to outsmart Littlefinger.

Even assuming for the sake of the argument that Cersei had those hostages, that's hardly enough to force the Tyrells to give up the kingdom. "You give up everything or risk losing a handful of second and third cousins"? Sorry, Mace will sooner see their heads fall off. BTW, can you, without looking up, name the girls and their parents? I surely couldn't.

Tarly won't be in KL forever, and he'll go out to deal with Connington and later join him.

You think Mace Tyrell would risk the life of his only daughter? Cersei wouldn't be asking the Tyrells to give up the kingdom, which they never had in the first place; just to follow her agenda in the council of Tommen, who is married to Margaery and supported by the Tyrells. The other girls are Elinor, Alla, and Megga Tyrell, Lady Alysanne Bulwer of Blackcrown, all relatives to Mace Tyrell. He isn't that heartless to risk all those girl relatives.

Tarly won't be in KL forever, and he'll go out to deal with Connington and later join him.

You think Mace Tyrell would risk the life of his only daughter? Cersei wouldn't be asking the Tyrells to give up the kingdom, which they never had in the first place; just to follow her agenda in the council of Tommen, who is married to Margaery and supported by the Tyrells. The other girls are Elinor, Alla, and Megga Tyrell, Lady Alysanne Bulwer of Blackcrown, all relatives to Mace Tyrell. He isn't that heartless to risk all those girl relatives.

So Cersei has Margaery, too.

Why not make things simpler for her and give her as hostages Mace Tyrell and Randyll Tarly as well?

I'm suspecting Cersei will be back in that position as soon as she can manage it. Something will happen in the plot, and she will reclaim her dominance over her son Tommen.

It would have to be someone older and related, but with Kevan's death, Mace Tyrell does not really have a proper claim to it. He's Margaery's father, so as long as Cersei is alive, her claim to it is better than his. Only death or imprisonment can really deny it to her.

Someone mentioned the Faith, and I think one intriguing possibility is that they would appoint Lancel Lannister as the new regent (he is older, a relative, and faithful).

Does anyone really have a claim to Regency? It's not like being the eldest family member makes you the regent. For example, Robert named Ned Lord Regent until Joffrey came of age. He is obviously not a Baratheon or Lannister, but the one Robert felt would best do the Job. I'd imagine the small council wold be the one who names the regent.

So Cersei has Margaery, too.

Why not make things simpler for her and give her as hostages Mace Tyrell and Randyll Tarly as well?

She could need them in the field while Margaery is required to stay in the Red Keep. Cersei still has a few tricks up her sleeve, and she's not above anything. She could keep them as hostages when Mace and Tarly are away in the field with their armies.

She could need them in the field while Margaery is required to stay in the Red Keep. Cersei still has a few tricks up her sleeve, and she's not above anything. She could keep them as hostages when Mace and Tarly are away in the field with their armies.

It's not her dedication I'm questioning, it's her ability.

Let me put it this way: I do not fear for the Roadrunner's life.

It's not her dedication I'm questioning, it's her ability.

Let me put it this way: I do not fear for the Roadrunner's life.

I'm not a Cersei fan, but still you shouldn't underestimate her. Ned did, and look what happened.

Archived