Comic Books, part 3

haLobEnder

I wouldn't say that... I mean, both companies have over 50 years of material published, plenty to look into without having to buy an issue, wait a month, and rinse and repeat. I've never been a fan of the "always go for what's newest" mentality, though, on anything really. I know, for example, when I'm looking into a band, I tend to start with their earlier work first, rather than just go to their most recent album like some I know.

I just mean if you want a complete story it can be really tricky. If you don't mind just reading an adventure of one of the heroes it's perfectly possible but it's much harder to get a nice arc for a certain title. Some of Marvel's essential titles work quite well, largely by merit of there being around 25 issues in a volume. I guess the Jeph Loeb "colour" series for marvel work in that sense as does his "long halloween" for DC. DC and Marvel's graphic novels seem to be attempting this type of thing with the batman/superman Graphic novels and the "season one" books.

So I'm not specifically saying "go for the newest" as it's tricky to find from any period. If you want to break into a comic series though I guess the implication is that you want to check out the current material too.

Has anyone mentioned yet what a crime against good taste and awesomeness it is that Greg Rucka's stupendous Punisher run is being ended in large part so that he can be on a team (what) written by Daniel Way (really, what)?

It's a damn shame, seeing as it has been one of Marvels most consistently great books. And even worse, Frank is losing the beard!

Oh, yeah, I really don't demand having a complete story in one or two volumes. Something like The Sandman is very nice, but I'm also perfectly fine going for longer stories. I mean, I'm steadily making my way through The Amazing Spider-man, and I think that's something like 650 issues.

And nah, to be honest, breaking into current material isn't really much of a priority, though I have checked out some New 52 material, some good, some not as much. I'm much more interested in exploring stuff that has gained classic status over the years. Or maybe not "classic", but at least good.

I might check out Marvel Now when it comes out, to balance out the occasional New 52 I buy, but I've heard that's going to be following up on X-Men vs Avengers, which itself follows up on a few other events.

It's a damn shame, seeing as it has been one of Marvels most consistently great books. And even worse, Frank is losing the beard!

Well, hopefully Rucka can do something in a similar style with his creator-owned work at Image. Based on his recent interviews he's done with the big two screwing him around despite always doing a good job wherever he's at.

Ben Kingsley is like the resident we want an Asian guy but we don't want to be specific. He's a great actor, so he'll do a great job, I'm sure.

Well, if Johnny Depp can become the go-to guy for Native American roles...

I might check out Marvel Now when it comes out, to balance out the occasional New 52 I buy, but I've heard that's going to be following up on X-Men vs Avengers, which itself follows up on a few other events.

Well, I'm not sure most titles will have a lot to do with it, apart from Uncanny Avengers (whose first issue sucked) and All New X-men.

All you need to know about AvX was that Cyclops was supposed to be the bad guy at it, but they did such a terrible job at it (essentially, his initial plan is exactly the same the Avengers used to saved the day) that Marvel editors and writers are now admitting he was right and Cap. America, Wolverine and the Avengers wrong, and that was the plan- the fact he's in jail and treated as a villain is just a coincidence.

Marvel editors and writers are now admitting he was right and Cap. America, Wolverine and the Avengers wrong, and that was the plan- the fact he's in jail and treated as a villain is just a coincidence.

Whoah, links please my friend - I am mucho interested in seeing this crow eating!

And nah, to be honest, breaking into current material isn't really much of a priority, though I have checked out some New 52 material, some good, some not as much. I'm much more interested in exploring stuff that has gained classic status over the years. Or maybe not "classic", but at least good.

My sleeper hit of the New 52 is, to my great surprise, James Robinson's Earth 2. It's one of the few things that feels like an actual reboot, taking the chance to do something unexpected and different with the characters (like the big swerve in the first issue from what everyone expected the book to be about, but I'm not going to spoil you), and combining the foundations of these Golden Age characters (basically, the JSA) with an updated setting.

Also, young Jay Garrick is totally adorable.

So, Uncanny Avengers #2 was postponed, it'll now be seven weeks instead of five between the first and the next one. Adding that to the 19 (?) covers, wow, Marvel, what a great start! If not for the fact that some of my favorite characters are in this series (some of which were away for too long before that), Rick Remender is writing, and that I actually enjoyed the first issue, I would just give up on it...

I wonder, though, if the delay has to do with Cassaday's speed, or they just realized they were supposed to release a few other comics first for the sake of continuity...

So, Uncanny Avengers #2 was postponed, it'll now be seven weeks instead of five between the first and the next one. Adding that to the 19 (?) covers, wow, Marvel, what a great start! If not for the fact that some of my favorite characters are in this series (some of which were away for too long before that), Rick Remender is writing, and that I actually enjoyed the first issue, I would just give up on it...

I wonder, though, if the delay has to do with Cassaday's speed, or they just realized they were supposed to release a few other comics first for the sake of continuity...

Probably Cassaday's speed- the first issue already felt rushed anyway. Marvel doesn't care about continuity all that much.

Instantdeath99 - are you interested in digital comics at all? If so, and you dont care about staying current, I think the Marvel Digital Online subscriptions are pretty good deals. For about $5 USD a month you have access to a pretty big range of digital stuff. Any regular MU book that's been digitised is up there, and it's current to within 6 months or so (give or take)

It isnt perfect. Max books arent available, for example, nor are Icon books, obviously. All the Ultimate books are up though and the back catalogue is extensive (still some glaring gaps though. No New Warriors v1, no Guardians of the Galaxy v1 :() Ive had an account for 4 months or so and I've gone through about 200 issues already, old and new. The guided view mechanic is poop, but if you have a tablet that wont matter.

My sleeper hit of the New 52 is, to my great surprise, James Robinson's Earth 2.

On your rec I grabbed the first 5 issues earlier today. Strong stuff, really like the feeling of a clean and different continuity.

Probably better than a good chunk of the new DCU stuff for sure.

Instantdeath99 - are you interested in digital comics at all? If so, and you dont care about staying current, I think the Marvel Digital Online subscriptions are pretty good deals. For about $5 USD a month you have access to a pretty big range of digital stuff. Any regular MU book that's been digitised is up there, and it's current to within 6 months or so (give or take)

It isnt perfect. Max books arent available, for example, nor are Icon books, obviously. All the Ultimate books are up though and the back catalogue is extensive (still some glaring gaps though. No New Warriors v1, no Guardians of the Galaxy v1 :() Ive had an account for 4 months or so and I've gone through about 200 issues already, old and new. The guided view mechanic is poop, but if you have a tablet that wont matter.

I didn't realize Marvel still had this service, just assumed all digital comics were purchased through apps like comicxology these days. I remember Marvel used to make a few titles available for free in a much earlier version of this service, and I as a poor student took full advantage.

I'm actually quite tempted to buy a subscription right now. The only problem is the webpage is a bit of a mess and it's still a little unclear to me just how one is granted access to the catalogue. If its still only browser based like it used to be then I'll pass as viewing any browser content on my tablet is more hassle than it's worth.

You'd think given how early they announced it Cassaday should have two in the can already. It may be a delay to shorten the delays for his 4/5th issue. Then again given the idiotic cover thing I wouldn't be surprised if it's been delayed because they are waiting for a superstar alt cover.

If other books are being delayed it may not be directly uncanny Avengers' fault as it may have some reveal meant for another title?

hopefully Marvel has realised how badly they handled the Cyclops thing and are editing things so that he isn't so blatantly evil and hated? Although that seems to be the central premise of "all new x-men" so I don't see that changing soon.

hopefully Marvel has realised how badly they handled the Cyclops thing and are editing things so that he isn't so blatantly evil and hated? Although that seems to be the central premise of "all new x-men" so I don't see that changing soon.

From all the interviews around I don't think Cyclops is really that central to Uncanny Avengers. What he did as the Phoenix might be, but not him, exactly. I think his situation will unfold in Consequences and All New, Uncanny has nothing to do with that.

What I find unbelievable is how they made sure to let everyone know Uncanny was the most important title in Now!, and yet, even before the delay, it would be out less frequently than most other titles. For example, January solicitations, we'd have Uncanny #4, and All New X-Men #6 and #7, if I'm not mistaken.

Cassaday is a great artist most of the times, but it still seems weird to choose someone who can't work that quickly for their main title...

Brady,

No New Warriors v1, no Guardians of the Galaxy v1

You must have grown up reading the same comics I did. I actually had subscriptions to both of those, shortly after the #1's. Fabian Niceza, with Mark Bagley and Darick Robertson for most of the run on NW -- pretty great.

And Valentino's Guardians, while corny in a lot of ways, was generally quite fun (though character designs for new characters were very firmly stuck in the 90s mode -- the Stark were particularly egregious). I admit, when I first heard that there was going to be a Guardians of the Galaxy movie from Marvel, I was excited... only to learn it's for the more modern team. Nothing wrong with that, really, but I haven't followed that one.

From all the interviews around I don't think Cyclops is really that central to Uncanny Avengers. What he did as the Phoenix might be, but not him, exactly. I think his situation will unfold in Consequences and All New, Uncanny has nothing to do with that.

What I find unbelievable is how they made sure to let everyone know Uncanny was the most important title in Now!, and yet, even before the delay, it would be out less frequently than most other titles. For example, January solicitations, we'd have Uncanny #4, and All New X-Men #6 and #7, if I'm not mistaken.

Cassaday is a great artist most of the times, but it still seems weird to choose someone who can't work that quickly for their main title...

It would have made more sense to have an additional artist on board and do 1-3 issue arcs for Cassaday. It's not like Remender won't be able to keep up as he was doing 18 issues a year of x-force and with dropping that and secret avengers his workload should be the same.

It wasn't so much Cyclops being a presence in uncanny but say for example issue 2 says "Cyclops broke out of prison and with a new brotherhood are trying to find Xavier's body" before he breaks out of prison could be one reason for the delay not involving Cassaday.

The main reason I'm giving Cassaday the benefit of the doubt is that Bryan Hitch says he finished "age oif Ultron" a good while ago but Marvel seems to have been happy letting it look like he's the cause of the delay.

Whoah, links please my friend - I am mucho interested in seeing this crow eating!

Formspring of Avengers' editor Tom Breevort:

http://www.formsprin...536177969420926

Of course, it's non-sense considering X-men editor Nick Lowe was suprised by it:

https://twitter.com/...214570300829696

There was also an AvX podcast at Marvel in which both, and Jason Aaron (who wrote the most heavy-handed anti-Cyclops ones, should be said), but I don't have a link, and reports of the Avengers panel in the NYCC convention that even there most fans felt Cyclops was right.

I'm not sure, Bendis seems to actually realize how stupid the event was- he had both Reed Richards and Damion Hellstorm criticizing (or in Hellstorm's case, trolling) the Avengers for their behavior in it. I'm thinking the twist of the arc will be the 05, or at least part of it, agreeing with Cyclops.

Archived