Britishisms invading American English

Ormond

I have no idea whether this is used in the states, but my favourite recent phrase to become popular in the UK is 'sacked it off'. To decide not to do something; "I couldn't be arsed with work so I sacked it off".

Also am I imagining it or do Americans say 'pick up your room' to mean tidy up? Swear I've heard that before. Doesn't really make sense, but then there's probably a shed load (how about that one?) of phrases I use that don't either.

We do use "pick up your room." I think it mostly refers to picking the things up off the floor and putting them away.

I assume "to welsh" is to renege on a bet? But, I'd always thought it was "to welch." Hmm. Firefox thinks I'm making words up with that one.

We do use "pick up your room." I think it mostly refers to picking the things up off the floor and putting them away.

I assume "to welsh" is to renege on a bet? But, I'd always thought it was "to welch." Hmm. Firefox thinks I'm making words up with that one.

Welch is used a lot in the US, I'm not sure why, but it is the same as welsh.

I have seen two stories about the origin - the first being that when a bookie took too many bets on a longshot that came in and didn't have the money to pay off his bets, he ran for the hills, typically across the border to Wales, to hide. So to Welsh on a bet meant to take off and hide in Wales. that imaginary country.

The second had something to do with ancient beliefs in the afterlife - so if you didn't have the money to pay a debt in this life, not to worry, you'd pay the debt in the next life.

You know, I don't think it's offensive, because the most common explanation is the one about English bookies doing a bunk. Therefore, no aspersions on the Welsh.

You cannot cast aspersions on the fictional.

You know, I don't think it's offensive, because the most common explanation is the one about English bookies doing a bunk. Therefore, no aspersions on the Welsh.

The Online Etymology Dictionary says the word has been used in this way since 1859, that it was original racing slang, and was "probably a disparaging use of the national name Welsh."

I would imagine some people in Wales might be offended by this whether or not the "run for the hills" explanation is correct.

Archived