Britishisms invading American English

Ormond

Bicky and brekky - correct.

Leggy and Wetty = Legrope and Wetsuit. I could also have offered Rashy - meaning a rash vest.

Doughy = Doughnut = To perform circle work with one's vehicle.

The modern usage of Billy = contraction of Billabong = to smoke marijuana. Context: "Comin' over for a few billies later mate? We could have some bickies I made and go chuck a few doughies."

There are people who talk like this, and I'm not takin the piss.

I got Wetty whilst away; and I stand by Leggy being leg-spin (or at least, a leg-break); a leg-rope means nothing to me, even since being told. Doughy and Billy make sense I guess (Ausies always were a fan of rhyming slang)

I got Wetty whilst away; and I stand by Leggy being leg-spin (or at least, a leg-break); a leg-rope means nothing to me, even since being told. Doughy and Billy make sense I guess (Ausies always were a fan of rhyming slang)

In fairness, leggy can mean leg spinner. In the same sense as offy can mean off spinner, quicky can mean fast/medium, innys can mean inswingers and outys can mean outswingers.

Bicky and brekky - correct.

Leggy and Wetty = Legrope and Wetsuit. I could also have offered Rashy - meaning a rash vest.

Doughy = Doughnut = To perform circle work with one's vehicle.

The modern usage of Billy = contraction of Billabong = to smoke marijuana. Context: "Comin' over for a few billies later mate? We could have some bickies I made and go chuck a few doughies."

There are people who talk like this, and I'm not takin the piss.

See even though I didn't know billy or leggy, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that you aren't taking the piss. I know this lovely young Sri Lankan lady from Liverpool that certainly is found of doughys and durrys.

She broke her ankle 6 months ago after jumping off a petrol bowser.

Somehow I knew what 'wellies' were even though we don't really use that term in the states. Seems like a nice natural term for what it is, for some reason. 'Brill' was the most recent one that tripped me up actually. I had no idea what that meant until it was explained to me.

I thought I was getting good with the Scottish accent overall, but it turns out that I'm only fairly good with folks who go to the university and some other local folks around there. But when I go off in Glasgow on my own theres a good chance that I won't understand anyone.

Just today I had a guy approach me on the street and start pouring his heart out to me about something and I couldnt understand a god damn word. And the other day there was this old man at a pub I like to go to who was trying to tell me about something in a newspaper he was reading... couldn't understand him either. I thought I was pretty good at the accent, but I think I'm only good with the people with milder accents or people who immediately recognize that I'm American maybe and tone it down for me.

See even though I didn't know billy or leggy, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that you aren't taking the piss. I know this lovely young Sri Lankan lady from Liverpool that certainly is found of doughys and durrys.

She broke her ankle 6 months ago after jumping off a petrol bowser.

I'm English-well mostly and have no idea what a doughy,durry or a petrol bowser even is!!.

Glaswegian is British, don't really know if it can be considered English.
Hmmm. Interesting point. I found it really amusing that in New England some people struggled to understand my boyfriend's Northern Irish accent - weird, when every other person there seems to consider themselves 'Irish' in some way or other. On the west coast of the US this was never a problem. :dunno:

I thought I was getting good with the Scottish accent overall, but it turns out that I'm only fairly good with folks who go to the university and some other local folks around there. But when I go off in Glasgow on my own theres a good chance that I won't understand anyone.

Just today I had a guy approach me on the street and start pouring his heart out to me about something and I couldnt understand a god damn word. And the other day there was this old man at a pub I like to go to who was trying to tell me about something in a newspaper he was reading... couldn't understand him either. I thought I was pretty good at the accent, but I think I'm only good with the people with milder accents or people who immediately recognize that I'm American maybe and tone it down for me.

There's not really a single Scottish accent, or even a single Glaswegian accent so it's not too surprising that you'll encounter people who you won't understand easily. To be honest, despite being Scottish I've sometimes had problems understanding people with really strong Glaswegian accents as well. I think some Glaswegians might have had one of the most difficult Scottish accents for foreigners to understand, although rural Aberdeenshire might be even worse since they could have entire conversations without using any 'standard' English vocabulary.

Glaswegian is British, don't really know if it can be considered English.

I know some people do claim that Scots is a separate language from English, although I tend to think that's exaggerating the differences.

Archived