US Politics: Voting Tales and Victory Ales

Arlingzen Bill

AP,

Not voting because you refuse to endorse any of the candidates running is as valid a political choice as any other. Further, claiming that you lose the right to express political opinions because you haven't voted is absurd.

I disagree, at least show up and vote a NOTA or blanco (when we had machines here they had a specific button for blanc votes, which I actually used on one utterly useless referendum). At least that way you show your opinion.

I am very, very disappointed in you, Tormund Midgetsbane. <_<

In 40 years I have missed but one election, which was a municipal election where the mayor won in a landslide and I couldn't be bothered to come out and vote. And felt so guilty I never missed another election.

And that is the reason why I too, along with the others upthread, will likely be a volunteer at a polling station when old and decrepit (not there yet).

ETA: And if it's that bad, start working for a candidate you can support, Even if they are 3rd party. By not voting, you allow the corrupt to win.

2nd ETA: Sorry for the rant. I really believe in voting and the power of the ballot box. If the candidates are such shit, spoil your ballot, or do a write in.

" It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even the most enormous wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support. If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders. I must get off him first, that he may pursue his contemplations too. See what gross inconsistency is tolerated. I have heard some of my townsmen say, "I should like to have them order me out to help put down an insurrection of the slaves, or to march to Mexico; — see if I would go"; and yet these very men have each, directly by their allegiance, and so indirectly, at least, by their money, furnished a substitute. The soldier is applauded who refuses to serve in an unjust war by those who do not refuse to sustain the unjust government which makes the war; is applauded by those whose own act and authority he disregards and sets at naught; as if the state were penitent to that degree that it hired one to scourge it while it sinned, but not to that degree that it left off sinning for a moment. Thus, under the name of Order and Civil Government, we are all made at last to pay homage to and support our own meanness. After the first blush of sin comes its indifference; and from immoral it becomes, as it were, unmoral, and not quite unnecessary to that life which we have made." - Henry David Thoreau, Resistance to Civil Government

I love election day!

Indeed, but just like any other it carries with it the responsibility of accepting the results. The idea that 'you can't blame me because I didn't vote' is just as absurd as saying that you can't complain if you don't vote.

Wait a second. The result of the election is the exact same whether or not I (1) vote (and coincidentally, regardless of who I vote for) (2) don't vote or (3) show up and spoil my ballot. So regardless of what I do, I have the same responsibility of accepting the results? Heads I win, tails you lose - apparently.

Mormont,

Did I say non-voters are above criticism? I said they have as much right to political opinions as anyone else. That's all.

Seli,

NOTA is not possible for me and many others in the US. The best we can do is write in nonsense which is promptly disregarded as a "spoiled ballot".

TGU,

The only non-candidate question on the ballot for me today was the burning issue of whether or not the Lt. Governor of SC will run on a ticket with the Governor or in a seperate election. It would have been truely earth shattering if my voice had no been heard on this crucial issue.

There are other things to vote for besides political candidates such as state questions or judges. It's just silly to not participate in at least those type of direct democracy votes, even if you can't be arsed to support particular candidates.

Local politics matter.

Our village has a property tax hike proposal for improving our parks. One or two votes truly could swing the outcome. So while I'm pretty sure Obama's going to win Illinois and every Republican will win whatever seat they are running for in our red district, I'll be heading to the polls primarily to have my little voice heard on the local bit.

If you don't like your choices, vote a write-in.

i dunno, man. i have a crazy aunt in ohio who attempts to persuade people that every vote counts. maybe in ohio. in david duke country, where a near-supermajority will vote romney, it really doesn't fucking matter, and leftwing votes, or center-right votes (i.e., democratic), or whatever will be swallowed by the EC tally.

sure, my SEP/SWP vote counts in a vague ontological way, in the manner of pure mathematical abstraction, for those who actually count votes--but the oddity of our EC-duopoly is that actually counting actual votes does not matter. weird way to run an election, but, hell, ITS AMARICA!!1 LUV IT OT LEVE IT!!1 &c.

I voted this morning. I arrived at the polling place 30 minutes before they opened and the line line was wrapped around the building already. I read my kindle for 2 hours before I voted. The line was as long after I voted as it was when I arrived. 2 hours this year isn't that bad, I waited 4 hours in 2008.

AP,

Not voting because you refuse to endorse any of the candidates running is as valid a political choice as any other. Further, claiming that you lose the right to express political opinions because you haven't voted is absurd.

It's been answered better than I ever could already, but I'll give it a shot anyway:

You can express whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want it. But if you come in here and brag about not voting I'm going to express my opinion that your opinions matter about as much as a frozen dog turd.

Heh. I don't participate in professional wrestling either. It's oddly similar to the political process. I still get to call it stupid and those who follow it intellectually shallow.

Since you've been participating in these political threads for years, that makes you not only intellectually shallow but a hypocrite as well. Congrats on your double whammy. Now, please, go count your guns or something.

for 2 hours before I voted

it is an abomination that anyone should be forced to wait two hours to cast a vote. what a shithole the US is.

:agree: Why does this happen? Can't you people open more polling stations? Whenever I watch US elections this always astonishes me. Why do you people put up with this shit?

Archived