US Politics: Voting Tales and Victory Ales

Arlingzen Bill

If the footage can be confirmed, so be it; we have a miscalibrated machine on our hands. Obviously a problem, but not a sign of fraud (Although, if the story is true, that poll volunteer should never be allowed to be so again).

My point is that the internet is just rife with unconfirmed reports, fake numbers (FYI: there are no exit polls released before 5pm, and even then very few until 7pm), and so forth. People don't like being without news but there really is almost none until the polls start to close, and everyone's just holding their breath. Naturally it leads to a lot of faked things flying around. Better to be highly skeptical of everything until a high burden of proof has been satisfied.

Can anything tech-based be run without tech support staff? Don't think so. Get rid of the electronic voting machine. Jesus, I've been watching people try to use the U Scans at CVS with zero progress for over a year now.

All this machine switching votes makes me happy for the voting machines we use.

It's electronic with a scrolling wheel and enter button to make selections. Once through the ballot, voter hits the Cast Ballot button and a summary of choices appears to show selections and any places where selections were not made. Good? Alright, hit enter. THEN, a paper copy prints to the side, once again showing all of the selections made. You like that, voter, yes or no? If no, it's scrapped and you start voting again. If yes, you are done and there is a hard copy of the selections that the voter has verified both on screen and on hard copy.

I like this.

If the footage can be confirmed, so be it; we have a miscalibrated machine on our hands. Obviously a problem, but not a sign of fraud (Although, if the story is true, that poll volunteer should never be allowed to be so again).

My point is that the internet is just rife with unconfirmed reports, fake numbers (FYI: there are no exit polls released before 5pm, and even then very few until 7pm), and so forth. People don't like being without news but there really is almost none until the polls start to close, and everyone's just holding their breath. Naturally it leads to a lot of faked things flying around. Better to be highly skeptical of everything until a high burden of proof has been satisfied.

Oh hell no. I love skepticism. But being skeptical demands of me that I be just as skeptical of the knee-jerk "it's not true because I don't want to believe it" reaction as I am of the initial reports, and that I actually spend 5 minutes running a Google search to see if someone's claim of disenfranchisement is true or not before deciding that my fellow citizen is a fraudulent piece of shit.

You are not being a skeptic in concluding that anyone who experiences something that doesn't fit your pre-existing beliefs is lying. You're just being as full of shit as you expected them of being.

ETA: FYI, I'm still maintaining a skeptical frame of mind - all we've got right now is a video and some "interview" material lifted from the YouTube comments, published on Yahoo and Gawker, etc. But I'm going to say the guy spliced up the video, etc. - doesn't seem to be any reason to think that or to defame his character that way.

Reporting in at lunchtime from the Democratic Party office. Reports of a few shenanigans but not much.

I voted this morning, no line at all. There was apparently a significant wait an hour earlier.

So this guy has been clogging up my facebook feed for what seems like forever with political this and that. Today he posts "I can't vote today because I am not a citizen yet. But I hope you all are at the polls!" I had no idea he was Canadian until today. I thought he would have been first in line at the polls judging from the amount of stuff he had on FB. There should be some sort of law that if you are should not be allowed to spew politics unless you can vote.

I managed to submit my ballot despite my issues with stupidity. Just had to put everything in a new envelope and sign the seal.

Quite likely it'll be thrown out since its non-standard but it's not like any of the Dems I voted for were going to win Texas anyway.

I did vote Libertarian Party for a bunch of county offices though (Tarrant County) because they're probably less repugnant than the local GOP, and they might have a chance to win.

There were at least ten local and state offices with Republicans running unopposed. There was no space for write-ins.

Some good inforgraphics if you are following the election:

When numbers will start coming in: http://images.politi...e-2012-map2.jpg

A rough guide to when you can declare Obama the winner: http://www.buzzfeed....on-the-election

Also, most important question of the day, will David Axelrod still have a moustache by tommorow: http://www.doesaxelrodstillhavehismustache.com/

All this machine switching votes makes me happy for the voting machines we use.

I don't see why you need a machine at all. Just use a piece of paper and fill in the area next to the candidate's name. Works fine in Canada.

Honestly, between the ridiculous lines, the crazy and stupid machines and ballots and the desire to choose everything from the coroner to whether a rich guy should be allowed to interfere with the construction of public works, I don't actually think you yanks know how to run a democracy.

When i was a freshman in college, my congressman was sponsoring a bill to require every electronic vote come with a backup paper. I wonder what happened to it.

Our electronic machines do (see upthread). It's a nice to double check onscreen and then triple check on the print-out before formally casting the ballot.

So this guy has been clogging up my facebook feed for what seems like forever with political this and that. Today he posts "I can't vote today because I am not a citizen yet. But I hope you all are at the polls!" I had no idea he was Canadian until today. I thought he would have been first in line at the polls judging from the amount of stuff he had on FB. There should be some sort of law that if you are should not be allowed to spew politics unless you can vote.

The Shryke rule shall be known far and wide.

I appreciate your point, but Canadians are by nature nosy neighbours. We can't help it. U.S. politics is the closest thing we have to a hockey game to watch right now, too, so cut the guy some slack, eh?

I don't see why you need a machine at all. Just use a piece of paper and fill in the area next to the candidate's name. Works fine in Canada.

Honestly, between the ridiculous lines, the crazy and stupid machines and ballots and the desire to choose everything from the coroner to whether a rich guy should be allowed to interfere with the construction of public works, I don't actually think you yanks know how to run a democracy.

This is obvious. There's a fat contract for someone to make voting machines

Archived