US Politics - Let the Recount begin

Howdyphillip

Oh, looks like North Dakota and Montana may pick up Dem senators. I don't even know what that means, I just like watching colored shapes at this point. ND is tight, but all of the votes appear to be in. Is it tight enough for a recount or what?

Oh, looks like North Dakota and Montana may pick up Dem senators. I don't even know what that means, I just like watching colored shapes at this point. ND is tight, but all of the votes appear to be in. Is it tight enough for a recount or what?

North Dakota: An election was being held to replace retiring Democratic Senator Kent Conrad. As North Dakota is a solidly Republican state, this was thought to be a near-certain gain for the Republicans (open seats are more vulnerable than contests against incumbants). Surprisingly, the Democrats appear to have held on. Note that while the margin is slim, ND is a small state anyway, so it might look tighter than it is.

Montana: Democratic Senator Jon Tester is seeking a second term. Was seen as highly vulnerable given Montana's Republican lean. Again, the Democrats appear to be holding on.

HE, another interesting point in understanding the result of the elections might be found in the (CNN) exit polls, which gives an insight in the voter group appeal (http://edition.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president#exit-polls).

ie More women voting than men; women, younger people and ethnic minorities more likely to vote democratic.

Yep Couldn't unseat Bachman, but Nolan won the seat, turning the 8th Blue. MN voted no on banning Same Sex Marriage and the Democrats retook the State Legislator. So, Bachman is the only smudge on an all and all good day in MN.

I Blame Nate Silver, he said Bachman had a 90% chance of winning.

Yes the demographics are interesting. The Republican typical voter is an older white protestant man and since that's a declining demographic they need to appeal to some new groups.

I'm interested that despite contentious issues the Democrats continue to have strong backing from Catholics.

Yes the demographics are interesting. The Republican typical voter is an older white protestant man and since that's a declining demographic they need to appeal to some new groups.

Poor Lesbian Black Jewish Republicans FTW! (seriously, I wonder how many of those there actually are. At least with Rich White Evangelical Gun-owning Men from Mississippi a couple might vote Democratic on the basis that it's the way their grandfather voted).

Yeah, in broad sweeping terms this is a vindication of Texeira and Judis' Emerging Democratic Majority hypothesis of a few years back. The voting trend among Hispanics and younger voters is giving the Democrats inroads into the Southwest and down the Eastern Seaboard, while the Republicans are getting less competitive in the Rustbelt and parts of the Midwest.

In cultural terms this period has also been a big win for social liberalism - in eight years gay marriage has gone from conservative countermobilizing force to a mainstream position, and just look what the GOP's embrace of the extreme pro-lifers did tonight. This is a generational shift and the Democrats are on the right side of it.

The ray of light for the Republicans on social issues is that very success will start to work as a point of friction between socially conservative democrats who think things have gone far enough thank you and the progressive vanguard. Not just on abortion and glbt rights but drugs, net neutrality and the security state as well. Along with the national security deep state Obama has proven himself a willing heir to the War on (some classes of people who use some) Drugs, which makes tonight's legalisation win in WA and CO another potential fracture. I think it's very possible that a real liberaltarian alliance could start to coalesce over drugs, drones and downloads, particularly if the Republicans start to show signs of being less terrible on social issues generally.

OK America, now the real work begins - reclaiming "clear eyes, full hearts" for everyone. Because I will be DAMNED if the philosophies of Coach Taylor are going to be tainted by political hacks.

Seconded. Some things are too important to lose.

I'm just amazed she managed to get literally nothing correct in that sentence.

She even managed to misspell New Zealand.

Apart from California retaining their right to murder, I'm quite happy with the results of most of the ballot initiatives that I care about.

Too bad about the re-election of Bachman and Stalin, but nobody really expected them to lose. Lets hope that this election will put some juice into the Tea Bagger movement, they have been way too quiet this past year.

Enjoying a little FOXNews schadenfreude, it is funny watching them try to spin this. Obama won by running one of the most negative campaigns ever and Romney simply ran a decent, moral one and was unable to overcome the blatant lies apparently.

It is also funny to read about O'reilly lamenting the death of "traditional" (re; white) America and Obama's victory being attributied to minorities who are all looking for handouts.

She even managed to misspell New Zealand.

Which is more likely to have stuck in her memory: Bush's old pal John 'Man of Steel' Howard or the blizzard of charisma that is John Key?

Archived