US Politics - Let the Recount begin

Howdyphillip

Mitch McConnell offers his congratulations:

http://blogs.courier...on-his-victory/

“The voters have not endorsed the failures or excesses of the president’s first term, they have simply given him more time to finish the job they asked him to do together with a Congress that restored balance to Washington after two years of one-party control.

“Now it’s time for the president to propose solutions that actually have a chance of passing the Republican-controlled House of Representatives and a closely-divided Senate, step up to the plate on the challenges of the moment, and deliver in a way that he did not in his first four years in office.

“To the extent he wants to move to the political center, which is where the work gets done in a divided government, we’ll be there to meet him half way.

Let the bickering recommence.

The real story for me is the Senate. I don't know if anyone was seriously expecting the Dems to hold their Nebraska senate seat (lost by something like 16 points), and so far the Dems have yet to lose a senate seat that was in contention. Three are still in contention (Montana, Nevada, North Dakota). This is basically what running the table looks like.

Republicans actually managed to lose Dick Lugar's Senate seat. I'm still just ... flabbergasted.

I thought I would be rejoicing in watching the Republicans bring on the Circular Firing Squad after Romney's failure, but I don't really feel it yet.

That said, I'm happy that Democrats in my state held on to some key gains, and that nation-wide not only Obama won, but we have a Democratic majority in the Senate. It will probably be Gridlock Town in Washington for at least two years, but that's long enough for Obamacare to become entrenched - good enough for me.

Been a bad night for the Tea Party. Akin, Murdouck both beat. Allen West is toast. Joe Walsh never had a chance. Closer to home for me, Nan Hayworth is gone, and Linda McMahon still can't buy an election.

And Bachmann's fighting for her political life.

It's a good day to be a liberal. :cool4:

Been a bad night for the Tea Party. Akin, Murdouck both beat. Allen West is toast. Joe Walsh never had a chance. Closer to home for me, Nan Hayworth is gone, and Linda McMahon still can't buy an election.

And Bachmann's fighting for her political life.

It's a good day to be a liberal. :cool4:

Maffei won back his seat from the Tea Party. Are we finally seeing the repudiation of the Tea Party?

The real story for me is the Senate. I don't know if anyone was seriously expecting the Dems to hold their Nebraska senate seat (lost by something like 16 points), and so far the Dems have yet to lose a senate seat that was in contention. Three are still in contention (Montana, Nevada, North Dakota). This is basically what running the table looks like.

Republicans actually managed to lose Dick Lugar's Senate seat. I'm still just ... flabbergasted.

Agreed: the Senate was the key here, with 23 Democratic Senate seats up for grabs, and only 10 Republicans. With Democratic retirees in North Dakota, Nebraska, Virginia, and Wisconsin, and vulnerable incumbants in Montana, and Missouri, this was a gilt-edged opportunity for the Republicans to pick up seats. Instead, they actually managed to lose. Hilarious.

Democrats will have to be careful in 2014 though: there are 20 Democratic seats (incl Alaska, Arkansas, and Louisiana), and thirteen Republicans, with only one (Maine) competitive, and that depends on whether Collins is primaried.

Archived