US Politics - Let the Recount begin

Howdyphillip

I'm moving to Australia, because their president is a Christian and actually supports what he says.

Heh.

Perhaps she actually meant HM QEII well known for her family values, hats and love of going to church?

Question to the Americans: Where can I find a concise account of which important states went which way, and why it was a suprise (or not). I can see the result of course, but I can’t find the drama. I’d like an account along the line of “One hour later, swing state Lothorien with its 25 electoral votes was declared a win for Obama, giving him a projected 262 votes, not including the contested states of East Hamshire and North Hufflepuff.” All live blogs are shut down already (or extremely long and contradictory.)

Didn't she push a pregnant Diana down the stairs? Or was that Charles and good queen Bess II just watched?

pfft. Even if she had she knew that her daughter-in-law would be in breach of the seventh commandment at some point and therefore administering reasonable chastisement in line with Christian principles - spare the stairs and spoil the child.

They tried to destroy the world economy.

Like, this is not an exageration, this is 100% what they did and they didn't change their minds on it, they just lost the competition. They haven't learned anything.

They won't though. Did you miss the entire Republican campaign from primary till today? They are doubling down on old white people. They've been loosing the demographics race for awhile now but they haven't changed. Instead, the Tea Party came about and went even whiter. They are already spinning Romney's loss as "too moderate".

Some people may see the writing on the wall, but the party as a whole is wilfully blind and there is no indication that will change any time in the near future.

They won't do it cause it's sane, they won't do it to save their party and they certainly won't give Obama the victory. Unless a fundamental change we have never yet seen occurs, that's how it's gonna be.

I agree that they probably won't want to give Obama the win, however it's important for Obama to push for it anyway. If they want to hand from the noose that they create from the life-line that Obama throws them, so be it.

However, had Romney,won, regardless of what he said in the campaign (which should be taken with a healthy tablespoonful of salt) he and the moderates in the party would have done the sane thing and push for it themselves to save the party. Romney was a walking paradox by the end anyway. I fully think they would have at least considered it. With that said, the Tea Party just had a bad night. Who knows how far the rest of the GOP chooses to go down with that ship. As soon as they see the Tea Party's legitimacy further worsen, they may eventually give them the final push over the cliff and be done with them. They clearly are no longer as useful a constituency now as they were in 2010.

HE.

You can try this one.

But I'm afraid that they will all essentially follow the same pattern

Ohio too close to call

*insert gin here*

Ohio too close to call

*insert gin here*

Ohio too close to call

*insert gin here*

Ohio too close to call

*insert vodka here*

Ohio too close to call

*insert vodka here*

Ohio too close to call

*insert vodka here*

Ohio called

*insert more gin here*

Karl Rove cries

Nate Silver does the happy dance.

I enjoyed it but I did have good gin.

I agree that they probably won't want to give Obama the win, however it's important for Obama to push for it anyway. If they want to hand from the noose that they create from the life-line that Obama throws them, so be it.

However, had Romney,won, regardless of what he said in the campaign (which should be taken with a healthy tablespoonful of salt) he and the moderates in the party would have done the sane thing and push for it themselves to save the party. Romney was a walking paradox by the end anyway. I fully think they would have at least considered it. With that said, the Tea Party just had a bad night. Who knows how far the rest of the GOP chooses to go down with that ship. As soon as they see the Tea Party's legitimacy further worsen, they may eventually give them the final push over the cliff and be done with them. They clearly are no longer as useful a constituency now as they were in 2010.

And you base this wild supposition on ... what exactly? If we assume Romney is untrustworthy, why are you assuming he's lying in exactly the direction you want?

The House GOP is not gonna pass any immigration reform without a fight and there's no reason to think Romney would make a difference or even give a shit about the issue had he won. This isn't a realistic scenario.

So, do reelected presidents generally perform better during their 2nd term? Oh and WW3 averted once again...congrats Saci !!

No. Everyone always says "yeah I know they didn't live up to x campaign promises (in Obama's case a staggering amount) but think of what they can do with a second term when they don't have to worry about re-election!"

This goes for both parties. They never shift anymore right or anymore left. Re-election isn't the problem.

And the best part of my evening was since I live in South Carolina I could vote Green without it hurting Obama.

Thank you for having the sense to vote third party since you live in a non-swing state. Your vote is more meaningful that way and not wasted.

HE.

You can try this one.

Thanks for the response, but this is far too opaque for a non-American. I need less of the banter, and more of the facts with background about which things were exciting, surprising, contested, etc. For an outsider, it’s impossible to make sense of.

I understand that CA and TX are done deals, and that OH and FL were important swing states. But beyond that, it’s hard do gain much insight.

Some boarder may be able to summarise what happened tonight; I’d be very grateful.

It came down to Virginia, Ohio and Florida. All three are tricky buggers, as they all report early but take forever, votes dribbling in. FLorida is neck and neck the whole way, flipping roughly every eighteen seconds. In the other two have a stark urban/rural divide (particularly Virginia) with the large cities only reporting in the full tally at the very, very end, so it looks like it's going R, but everyone knows theres still a reserviour of O votes out there but no one is sure and the margins are slim. To complicate matters, actual voting seems to have still been going on well after the polls closing due to long lines. At some point the gap between what's reported in Ohio and what can potentially be left to be reported grows too stark in the O direction and it's called, thus ending the thing, but not before theres a kerfluffle where the R's don't acknowledge that for a while. Then Virginia straggles in by a tooth and a nail with the DC suburbs finally all counted and then it's down to watching Florida trickle like some sort of schroedingers state. Romney leads the popular vote all night, but west coast makes up for it eventually. Other items of interest was watching the rape-happy republicans handily lose their races in Missouri and Indiana and following the only ballot initiatives that anyone seems to care about: Marijuana legalization and gay marriage. All 4 latter ones seem to have passed, though Washington is still too close to call. That was pretty much it.

Archived