Do people think a Stark on the Iron Throne likely?

JaegrM

@ Dr. Pepper

To be fair, Arthur never desired the throne either

Jon didn't want want to become LC of the Night's Watch either when the election was being held, before he might have when he decided to go to the Wall but he took up the position because he knew he must do what was needed with the Long Night coming. He might assert his claim if Dany was sitting the Iron Throne, and great help was needed at the Wall knowing that he could bring the Westerosi forces and dragons to the aid the dire situation at the Wall as king.

No, I don't think it likely that a Stark will end up on the Iron Throne if there is an Iron Throne still left at the end of the series. I don't think it likely that the remaining Starks will want to end up on the Iron Throne. Sansa does not want it (nor does she have a claim to it), Jon hasn't even thought about it, Arya definitely not, Bran hasn't thought about it, and Rickon is six so too young to tell what he would want.

I rarely even see this idea tossed around and I'll be honest, it's usually those who think the R+L=J theory is only there to serve Jon the Iron Throne. I can see how some might make that connection, but frankly it's not a good conclusion to make. The only other time I've seen people tossing out a Stark in relation to the Iron Throne are 'shipping' threads where they assume Sansa is going to become Queen Consort for Aegon or Harry the Heir or they mistakenly believe she has claims and support in her own right to enough regions of Westeros to create her own kingdom. It's wishful thinking.

:agree:

The Starks are of the North and the Old Gods. Above all else, the Stark kids yearn for Winterfell, not that damn iron chair.

Now, if Jon is revealed to be Rhaegar's son, and if there is enough clamor for him, I can see him sitting the Iron Throne, albeit extremely reluctantly. Much as Maester Aemon warned him when he was first elected Lord Commander, Jon would find no joy in ruling the kingdoms. And it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually abdicated so he could return to his post at the Wall.

I don't think so mostly because I can't see any of the Starks wanting the throne. And IMO to get the throne you have to want it. All the Starks want is to see someone on the throne who isn't evil like the Lannisters.

Or be pushed into it the way Robb was pushed into becoming King in the North. Yes he went along with it but not until after the Greatjon and the others all declared for it.

@ Dr. Pepper

To be fair, Arthur never desired the throne either

Jon didn't want want to become LC of the Night's Watch either when the election was being held, before he might have when he decided to go to the Wall but he took up the position because he knew he must do what was needed with the Long Night coming. He might assert his claim if Dany was sitting the Iron Throne, and great help was needed at the Wall knowing that he could bring the Westerosi forces and dragons to the aid the dire situation at the Wall as king.

Oh yes, every king who's ever been in charge of saving their world is always a reluctant one. Forgive me for being so uncultured, but I do not really find any value in reading this series as a simple retelling of every other kingly story.

No, Jon didn't want to be LC when he was elected but he joined the Night's Watch of his own free will. It was something he chose and he was aware that he could very well take a higher office at some point during his lifetime. Being a reluctant person of an elected office isn't quite the same as finding out one's parentage just at the moment the world was going to end and asserting a claim to a throne he's given no interest in just to start a war in the hopes that he can somehow bring Westeros and the dragons under his control. I'm not a fan of Dany but even I can't pretend that Dany wouldn't take her dragons where they might be needed should the apocalypse strike.

Oh yes, every king who's ever been in charge of saving their world is always a reluctant one. Forgive me for being so uncultured, but I do not really find any value in reading this series as a simple retelling of every other kingly story.

No, Jon didn't want to be LC when he was elected but he joined the Night's Watch of his own free will. It was something he chose and he was aware that he could very well take a higher office at some point during his lifetime. Being a reluctant person of an elected office isn't quite the same as finding out one's parentage just at the moment the world was going to end and asserting a claim to a throne he's given no interest in just to start a war in the hopes that he can somehow bring Westeros and the dragons under his control. I'm not a fan of Dany but even I can't pretend that Dany wouldn't take her dragons where they might be needed should the apocalypse strike.

We'll both see how it turns out when ADoS is released.

I could see Jon on the Iron Throne, if his parentage is revealed and he follows the King Arthur inspiration to its extent.

Yeah same. But dude is so not gonna want it. Its possible he will end up on the Iron Throne but not exactly likely. If he gets a throne, it'll probably be King in the North. I wouldnt mind either way.

Jon Snow will WIN the Iron Throne for Shireen Baratheon as promised to Stannis. Then he will return to north as the King of North to honor the Will of Rob Stark.

Couple problems with this...Shireen is going to die of greyscale & all of Robb's 'dead' sibling are alive. Okay they could be Lord of Winterfell while he is King...but still.

Archived