Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

Going back to Emma Thompson

I'm always just so impressed that Keef is still alive. His memoir is really good although he never directly addresses to the blood cleaning thing. That doesn't count as being makeup-related, technically.

I've been using the Garnier BB cream instead of foundation for about a year now and I really like it. It feels very light when applied but it does even everything out.

I used Dermalogica products on my face since I was in my early 20s and I had my very first Dermalogica prescription facial, but two years ago I switched to using Boots No7 Protect & Perfect range instead as it is £20 a pot rather than £40 (Dermalogica prices).

My pro-tip for younglings is for crying out loud use a moisturiser with SPF in it. Don't wait til you're in your 30's before worrying about sun damage. The skin on your face is exposed EVERY day! I received this good advice from my beautician when was about 23. I do wonder if this is why some of my younger friends have more visible wrinkles than me. Keep the sun off your face. :)

Not null

The face scrub I bought yesterday is lush! Makes my skin feel all soft. I'm dossing round the house today but because I have housemates I still like to put make-up on. I've just got foundation and a bit of mascara on. I feel naked :lol:

My problem now is my eyebrows. If left to their own devices they turn into giant hairy caterpillars. Since I started university I've been getting them waxed every so often at the salon, but I guess my skin is pretty sensitive because the area always turns really red. A slice of cucumber over each eye usually sorts it out though. I've tried keeping on top of them myself but it seems like I go a day without bothering and they're back again! Being a girl sucks sometimes :P

Aw Bai :kiss: I wasn't fishing, it's lovely of you to say.

Dracarya: I had horrendous eyebrows with hair nearly all over the top fold of my eyelid. I swear by threading. It is painful and you do come out looking like you've been slapped around the face with a wet haddock. But my eyebrows now when they've grown out aren't anywhere near as hairy and in fact I don't need much maintenance on them now at all.

N

Like, the opposite of Keith Richards. No amount of moisturizing cream is going to do anything to that guy.

On a related note, my daughter saw a picture of Iggy Pop last night and said "that looks like a zombie." she wasn't too far off. And yeah, we're an Iggy Pop kinds house.

Dracarya: I had horrendous eyebrows with hair nearly all over the top fold of my eyelid. I swear by threading. It is painful and you do come out looking like you've been slapped around the face with a wet haddock. But my eyebrows now when they've grown out aren't anywhere near as hairy and in fact I don't need much maintenance on them now at all.

N

Oh I had that done once when my salon wasn't doing eyebrows during the week and I wasn't around on the weekends, and they grew back even more wild! I guess you have to keep at it, but it was a horrific experience. It was in the middle of Superdrug and my make-up was half down my face due to my eyes watering. Then I had to walk through the city centre to get back to my car and drive home, weeping. Thank the gods it was sunny enough for me to justify wearing sunglasses :lol:

Threading >>> waxing for facial hair. It was envying Chaldanya's eyebrows that made me try it in the first place. If I get my face waxed the skin would be red for days after. With threading it looks pink for maybe a couple of hours tops afterwards. Plus, they do such a good job of shaping my brows that I barely need to touch them myself in the 3-4 weeks in between threading sessions - because a few stray hairs and some regrowth above/below doesn't even notice that much once the overall shape is good.

I do like threading for eyebrows. For the longest time I was terrified too much would be removed via waxing and I'd constantly looked puzzled or angry. But my esthetician I trust implicitly so I eventually switched to waxing. It's faster, is essentially painless and the regrowth at this point isn't too bad. My brow arch is pinky red for a bit afterwards but usually gone in a few hours.

I don't touch my eyebrows at all. They're thick, but nicely shaped and I'm afraid trying to 'improve' them would result in a disaster.

I love makeup but I can never be bothered to use it. I don't use anything daily, I don't have a special moisturising lotion (when I put on heavier makeup, I just use facial cream), and concealer is the only thing I put on my face more than once a month. This thread actually made me wonder whether I should be using moisturising lotion on my face daily :dunno: I'm 22 and have no skin problems.

I do have proper brushes and everything for those rare occasions when I put on some heavier makeup. I love Urban Decay's Naked eyeshadow palette, but otherwise I just use whatever I have on hand that's not too expensive but not too crappy when it comes to ingredients. That's one thing I'm really looking forward to in the US - having access to better makeup. :)

Yeah, if you like waxing your brows then no need to switch to threading just for the sake of it. My skin is stupidly sensitive to waxing though and reacts so badly that if I wanted to get my brows done before a night out I'd have to get them waxed about 3-4 days before just so that the skin would look normal again in time! With threading I can go the day before and and my face doesn't look all pissed off.

I'd suggest that you put something on your face every day that will protect it from sun damage. You won't notice any difference at age 22. But by the time you're in your 30's you'll be glad you did. If only there was something you could do in your 20's that would stop your metabolism from slowing down in your 30's...

I tweeze my eyebrows by hand only. I am allergic to lavender which is always in wax and I like the precision of one hair at a time

I do too. I used to get them waxed but they were always too thin or I didn't like the shape. I like doing it myself. Much cheaper too.

I tweeze my eyebrows by hand only. I am allergic to lavender which is always in wax and I like the precision of one hair at a time

Wait, what. I'm allergic to lavender too. Could that be why I react so badly? Though after a few hours it all goes down, especially if I put cucumber on it. I'll ask at the salon the next time I go in to get my hair done.

It could be, my allergy is pretty severe so I'll end up with open sores the next day, but for a milder allergy it would go away much faster as long as you weren't clawing at it. Pretty much anything they'd use at a salon (and really every cream, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, detergent, and soap you can find) will have lavender either as an ingredient or part of the fragrance, which doesn't need specific listing.

All you makeup people might be interested to know that I've got a tube of skin bleach (my freckles ain't cute anymore) and Retin-A.

I'll let you know how it works out. :leaving:

Back to report in. My face is a "nice" rosy color and it's peeling in places. I think I may give it a day off. :uhoh:

I wax my eyebrows. I am so happy that I didn't fall for the 1970's super thin brows. My Mom did that and her brows never grew back properly. I have read that thicker brows make people look younger. Mine are in between.

Back to report in. My face is a "nice" rosy color and it's peeling in places. I think I may give it a day off. :uhoh:

Tears, Retin-A is great, but the skin bleach on your face? Freckles are beautiful. Are you using hydroquinone as a bleach? I know Obagi makes a product that contains it, and it's relatively gentle. It's also popular for bleaching elsewhere as well.

Archived