Top 3 Books You Read in 2012

Maithanet

I didn't read any books that truly wowed me this year, but I read a lot of solid books. The following are the best three:

1. 11/22/63 by Stephen King

2. Voodoo Heart by Scott Snyder

3. Alpha by Greg Rucka

With honorable mentions for Gun Machine by Warren Ellis, Gunpowder by Joe Hill, Legion by Brandon Sanderson and The Web: Spiderbite by Graham Joyce.

Worst book I read this year was Lawyers, Guns, and Money by JD Rhoades. Most disappointing goes to Black Hills by Dan Simmons.

If we include comic books then Saga by Brian K. Vaughan is #1 easily, with Prophet and Uncanny X-force being up there as well.

These books are the best I've read this year; their ranking is incidental as I found them around equally good:

The Demon Cycle - Peter v. Brett

1453: A Place Called Armageddon - C.C. Humphreys

Crooked Little Vein - Warren Ellis

Honourable mentions are

Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield

Dark Eden - Chris Beckett

Theories of Flight (Samuil Petrovitch 2) - Simon Morden

These books are the best I've read this year; their ranking is incidental as I found them around equally good:

The Demon Cycle - Peter v. Brett

1453: A Place Called Armageddon - C.C. Humphreys

Crooked Little Vein - Warren Ellis

Honourable mentions are

Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield

Dark Eden - Chris Beckett

Theories of Flight (Samuil Petrovitch 2) - Simon Morden

I have nothing to say about your post (apart from that I was a bit disappointed in Dark Eden), I just want to give a shoutout to your avatar. Thorgal ftw.

you read gunmachine already?!?!?! i'm so insanely jealous right now. i may throw a tantrum.

Yeah, I bought an ARC of it off of ebay cause I couldn't wait any longer. I liked it a lot. It was a very subdued Ellis - no Godzilla bukake in this one.

you read gunmachine already?!?!?! i'm so insanely jealous right now. i may throw a tantrum.

I know several stores in Canada released the book sometime last week and I think it may have gotten an early release from some UK stores, as well. Alas, my local B&N here in Kansas failed to do the same. The 1st will be here soon enough.

I've read so many books this year, it's really difficult to just pick 3. I believe I finished ASoS for the first time at the beginning of this year, so that's got to go on the list. I also loved The Captain's Daughter by Leah Fleming, Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel and 1984 by George Orwell.

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks deserves a mention too, and the non-fiction Tower by Nigel Jones as well.

I have nothing to say about your post (apart from that I was a bit disappointed in Dark Eden), I just want to give a shoutout to your avatar. Thorgal ftw.

Always nice to see fellow Thorgal fans. Great series.

Apparently a lot of people read Use of Weapons this year, myself included. Nothing wrong with that, it's a very good book. In fact, as well as being on my list of best books I read this year I'd probably consider it one of my favourite books, period.

Archived