Small questions v.10002

Angalin

Well it's said that Joanna ruled Tywin, from which I infer that she loved him too. I don't think Tywin had issues with women...do you have any supporting evidence from the text?

Thanks for all the answers!

SENO, I also always assumed that she also loved him but thinking back I do not find any conclusive proof in the text. You rightfully argue that she "ruled" him but we also have Oleanna as counterexample who managed her husband just fine without loving him. Or Genna and her Frey husband. Maybe she liked him well enough and was as eager as he was to advance house Lannister (I mean she is a Lannister even without the marriage!) but did not love him the way he loved her?

Probably it will not matter for future books but I did find it rather interesting that Tywin´s love is stressed so often but we get no one saying that they loved each other very much.

Concerning what I wrote about "issues with women", this was a very broad way of saying it, of course. I refered to Tywin and his extreme attitudes towards sex with whores or common women while at the same time we get hints (the connection between the brothel and the ToH) and facts (Shae in Tywin´s bed) that contradict his public image. Besides, Tywin is very ready to dole out extreme sexual punishment at women, yet after all accounts he is ruled by one. actually I think this is a pretty interesting facet of his character.

I'm aware of that, thanks. I was just saying it's funny that they got it wrong.

How did they get it wrong? The show isn't book canon. They aren't going to be able to cover thousands of years of history or family trees. The show just did what worked for the show.

The show isn't the books. In the books, it's a crowned stag even before Robert was king. See the D&E stories.

The crowned stag is definetely mentioned in D&E. I believe in the Hedge Knight when they're at the tourney Dunk describes it along with some other sigils. Ive lent out my books however so I cant quote it.

I have three small questions; this is my first post, and I hope this is the right place to put them. Obviously, I am currently rereading the Bran chapters...

1. Is Bran a warg (albeit one who doesn't know of his identity) from birth? I had assumed that it was an ability he gained only once the three eyed crow visited him during his fever dreams, taking this from Jojen's revelation that he had developed greensight after his childhood illness. But at the moment, I am embarking on a rereading of the books, going by POV rather than the conventional chapter order. Reading Bran's early chapters has made me realize how in touch with nature he seems, in a way that no other character does. His particular way of seeing things - identifying with Winterfell's ravens, for example - seems to me to possibly hint that he was always a warg, or at least had some kind of ability. Can anyone help me make sense of this?

2. When does Bran first warg with Ghost? I can't seem to work out where, in the Jon POV, this incident occurs - yet, in the very final chapter of ACoK, Bran states:

He could reach Summer whenever he wanted, and once he had even touched Ghost and talked to Jon.

Is there a reference to this in the intervening Jon chapters that I have missed, or does it happen off-stage?

3. How does Bran's party discover that Theon and Reek have killed the miller's boys and pretended that they were Bran and Rickon? They are hidden while this occurs, and everyone at Winterfell - who saw the boys' bodies presented as Bran and Rickon's - is dead or gone when they emerge from the crypts. Luwin makes a veiled reference - that he had seen through the deception because the boy's legs could not have been Bran's - when they find him in the Godswood, but not enough that they could reasonably realize what has been done. Yet later on, they seem aware that they are "dead", such as showing no surprise when the northman they encounter in the cave jokes that Bran is meant to be dead. How did they work out what Jojen's green dream (the boys dead at Reek's feet) meant?

2. When does Bran first warg with Ghost? I can't seem to work out where, in the Jon POV, this incident occurs - yet, in the very final chapter of ACoK, Bran states:

Is there a reference to this in the intervening Jon chapters that I have missed, or does it happen off-stage?

This is in either the last or second to last Jon chapter, I think.

Jon is off with the Halfhand and he is inside Ghost in a dream and he finds a weirwood tree and he realizes it has his brothers face and smells death, because Bran is in the crypts, then Bran tells him not to be afraid and he likes it in the dark.

I can't understand how Bran gets inside the tree, since he hasn't been to see Bloodraven yet. Unless Bran is just reaching Ghost through the wall and not in the tree.

How did they get it wrong? The show isn't book canon. They aren't going to be able to cover thousands of years of history or family trees. The show just did what worked for the show.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I assume whoever wrote that episode thought that was why House Baratheon had the crown on it's sigil.

Shireen could use it for her kids. Or one Roberts bastards could be legitimized.

Anything's possible I suppose, but this seems unlikely imho. Who would give the "legitimization proclamation"? That would have to come from the monarch who would basically be creating a rival. As for Shireen using the Baratheon name for her children, are there any examples in the books of females passing on their family names?

Of course we're forgetting about Tommen, who still goes by Baratheon.

Not addressed in the Wiki:

It is VARYS who suggests Barristan Selmy be dismissed to make room for th hound in the Kingsguard. Since he and Illyrio have been conspiring forever I wonder if Barristan's trip to Essos and Illyrio was engineered, with or without his knowledge, ahead of time.

This is in either the last or second to last Jon chapter, I think.

Jon is off with the Halfhand and he is inside Ghost in a dream and he finds a weirwood tree and he realizes it has his brothers face and smells death, because Bran is in the crypts, then Bran tells him not to be afraid and he likes it in the dark.

I can't understand how Bran gets inside the tree, since he hasn't been to see Bloodraven yet. Unless Bran is just reaching Ghost through the wall and not in the tree.

John is dreaming of being Ghost. Ghost sees a weirwood tree ( which Jon then alseo sees). He hears Bran. Bran recalls this in a dream. I thought it was through Summer and the fact that bran can now time travel in the trees. Ghost breaks character and howls. Bran is reaching Ghost through Summer, was my take. And he appears in trees before he gets to Brynden by Time Travel - see his views of his dad and other Winterfell history

1. Is Bran a warg (albeit one who doesn't know of his identity) from birth? I had assumed that it was an ability he gained only once the three eyed crow visited him during his fever dreams, taking this from Jojen's revelation that he had developed greensight after his childhood illness. But at the moment, I am embarking on a rereading of the books, going by POV rather than the conventional chapter order. Reading Bran's early chapters has made me realize how in touch with nature he seems, in a way that no other character does. His particular way of seeing things - identifying with Winterfell's ravens, for example - seems to me to possibly hint that he was always a warg, or at least had some kind of ability. Can anyone help me make sense of this?

1. Yes all the Stark kids are wargs from birth, but it was the wolves that woke that power. Bran's Greenseer was awaking when he was in a coma, but he always had it. Jojen tells his as much. He doesn't truely get the greenseer powers or warg powers until Jojen pushes him into it.

2. Aside from the for mention dream, Bran, and Jon both are shown knowing things about the other Stark kids, that they only know about thru the Warg-net/Wolf Dreams. There is also a dream that Jon has were he sees a weirwood tree with Brans face carved into it, but Bran has 3 eyes.

Archived