The Wire: Continued

Reposado

In the end I'd also have to attribute it to luck. I tried coming up with a reason for Namond but I can't. He just happened to act out in class which got him sent to that special class with Bunny, who just happened to take a liking to him. Namond just happened to meet the right person at the right time who had the power to help him. The people who could have helped the other three (Carver with Randy, Cutty with Michael and Prez with Dukie) couldn't do exactly what Bunny did with Namond. Also, maybe because Namond realizes he wasn't cut out for the game after Michael beat the shit out of him and Kennard on separate occasions.

Yeah. Again, it's very Greek. As the vagaries of fate pushes the others further and further down the rabbit hole, a lesser deity descends and saves Namond from a life of crime, murder, and jail.

Curious for you to expand on this, because in fitting with the tragedy/fate theme of the show, the only reason I can tell Namond made it off the top of my head was sheer dumb luck.

Namond has two father figures willingly to go out of their way to look out for him.

Michael has none. In fact, due to the implied sexual abuse, he doesn't trust any that try to come along. His only real father figure of sorts is Marlow and his gang.

Namond is, frankly, a dumber kid then Michael but he succeeds because people take care of him and he trusts them to do it and ultimately they get him the fuck out of the ghetto.

That's why the last shot of the season is Namond looking out on his new neighbourhood. One with no dealers on the corners. Cause that's why he will succeed.

I really got in to the Wire, after watching Homicide : LotS, and reading Homicide: aYitL.

I read Homicide right after watching the wire - meaning I finished it like a week ago. Fantastic book, and highly recommend.

I am surprised about your indifference to season 4. I might be biased as both my parents are public school teachers, but as far as I'm aware most fans consider four one of, if not the best, season .

I am a school teacher and considered this one of my 2 lowest seasons. Perhaps because I teach in the rural midwest and it is vastly different than the school portrayed on The Wire I didn't connect as much. Some of the BS bureaucracy with schools certainly rang a bell though.

I didn't care for the Marlo narrative (even though Snoop and Chris' methods were original) as he's half the man Stringer was.

And the kids. Of all the kids, only one makes it out for the better? I got a bit spoiled up thread (my fault), so I see that Duque will devolve into Bubbles and Michael becomes Omar. Michael's evolution was interesting, if surprising given his initial reservation against Marlo. The treatment of Duque and the "snitch" is just so depressing.

Those on top of the Major Crimes Unit stalling out, the mayoral race, and maybe the lack of McNulty (which turned out to be a good thing for him), just turned made 4th season not as interesting.

Herc's screw-ups were kind of fun to watch, in a slow motion disaster kind of way.

I did like Carver and Prez's development, but they were drowned by the rest.

There were ups and downs for me. Just by the end, I was losing interest in watching.

And Mr. E: You be trollin' The Monkey, yo. :)

Good man.

I pretty much agree with this. The treatment of the snitch was very depressing.

So, my wife and I decided to start going through our large and odd assortment of DVDs we've collected over the years and watch ones we haven't seen in recent memory. The first one we popped in was Singles.

Lo and behold, there was Prez in one of his first movie roles (1992).

That is all. :)

The other thing re; Namond. He has to get out. He can't survive out there. Being Wee Bey's son carried him exactly this far and no further. He isn't smart enough or hard enough and he'll be dead in very short order if someone doesn't get him out.

Neither was Dukie and look what that got him.

Neither was Dukie and look what that got him.

Dukie wasn't being pushed into the forefront like Namond was.

Dukie got it pretty shit, but Dukie still has a chance the way Bubbles had a chance. Namond was being pushed by his mother directly into a row house by trying to turn him into a little Wee-Bey.

Dukie never really had a chance. He may not have been pushed into the drug game specifically, but he was pushed straight off the track to a life not-in-the-ghetto. Cause he ain't got nobody looking out for him.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

FUCK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

I just finished 3x11. WHY THE FUCK DID STRINGER DIE SO EARLY?

YOU LIARS TOLD ME HE'D SURVIVE TILL SEASON FIVE. THANK YOU FOR NOT SPOILING IT BUT SCREW YOU FOR LURING ME INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY.

Now I know what Unsullied viewers of the Red Wedding felt like. For all the talk of GOT killing off main characters, The Wire has probably killed off more of my favourite characters than any other show.

I don't know how to react. It was a terrific piece of TV, but was it a bit too soon? I'm still in the same state of shock that I was when I first read the RW.

FUCK

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

FUCK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

YOU LIARS TOLD ME HE'D SURVIVE TILL SEASON FIVE. THANK YOU FOR NOT SPOILING IT BUT SCREW YOU FOR LURING ME INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY.

Now I know what Unsullied viewers of the Red Wedding felt like. For all the talk of GOT killing off main characters, The Wire has probably killed off more of my favourite characters than any other show.

I don't know how to react. It was a terrific piece of TV, but was it a bit too soon? I'm still in the same state of shock that I was when I first read the RW.

FUCK

Where the FUCK is Wallace?

Whoever said that The Wire was like a locomotive, not a muscle car, was right. I found the first 2-3 episodes difficult, but then I was and am absolutely hooked on it. I've got HBO and HBO GO, and I've binged-watched my way all the way up through half of Season 5 so far.

I think Season 3 is my favorite season. So much High Drama, plus some absolutely fantastic scenes like that stand-off between Omar and Mousone in the alley in the penultimate episode (it's like something out of a Western). Season 4 actually gave me some trouble at first, since it felt so anti-climactic after the end of Season 3.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

FUCK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

FUCK

i remember how it is to feel how you are feeling. it's a shitty place. RIP.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

FUCK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

FUCK

I don't know how to react.

Put the next disc in and get on with it motherfucker! :lol:

It could have been worse. I remember reading on this forum that

Omar was supposed to piss on Stringer Bell after killing him but Idris Elba made it perfectly clear that that was not happening. Talk about adding insult to injury

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

FUCK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

FUCK

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, my plan worked better than I expected.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

FUCK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

FUCK

Who the fuck was this guy?

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

FUCK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

FUCK

I feel your pain, brother.

Archived