[Possible Spoilers] Five Worst Actors

indignant mushroom

The only thing that disappoints me about Melisandre is the way she looks. She doesn't look wild or exotic or foreign in any way.

And I'm not sure why red contact lenses were out of the question.

D&D didn't want any actors to have contacts in the show, because it distracts them from acting how they normally would. Hence why Daenerys doesn't have purple eyes. They mentioned that in the commentary for S01E01. "Actors act with their eyes, and [the lenses] really hurt the emotion."

EDIT: Apparently Daenerys and Viserys originally had contacts in the original version of the pilot, but it was changed for the reasons stated above.

And that's what they seem like. They have a tendency to over act. I see that a lot when actors and actresses come straight from the theater to the screen. Acting in front of the camera is a much more subtle game than stage acting. Less is more guys.

That's true. European actors tend to do that a lot because they often come from the theater and go back there between film projects. That alone has sunk many European films in my mind, they just don't have the ease and don't sound as natural as Hollywood actors, always speaking for the last row instead and pausing too much, pronouncing every word too clearly and not the way someone would speak casually. But I didn't notice that with Kit Harington. His voice just always sounds sad and somber. I've seen a clip of him in the London play of "War Horse" and he sounded exactly the same there. I always think he'll start crying any moment. Still, I think he is excellent and maybe the role calls for just that somberness. With both Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington, I've noticed their eyebrows move a lot. They pull them up in the middle for that pained or surprised expression, and they sometimes do that in interviews too. Looks very cute.

Harrington and Clarke aren't bad actors they're just not strong enough to give their roles enough justice. They along with Dinklage Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner to me have the hardest roles to play and because of The latter threes excellence the former 2 don't look as good as they would if compared with a smaller role. Like many people have said there aren't really any weak links its just that some are a lot stronger then others

Glad to see I am not alone with my very unfavourable view of Emilia Clarke's acting talent .... it was noticeable right away, from her first scenes with Viserys in Illyrio's mansion to her "wedding night" with Drogo. It was downright jarring ... just no expression at all, and somehow she always seems to think about what she is doing with her arms. No natural movement or gesticulation, she just keeps them totally still. Very weird. Like someone at drama school once told her "don't move your arms to much it will distract people" and she is sticking to that religiously.

She seem to be getting a bit better though, I have noticed. Some scenes are still cringeworthy, like at Qarth or her monologue before the Spice King, but to be fair she was given some real dumb lines too.

Emilia Clark: She's insufferably bad. An expressionless, passionless, shrieking mess. She's about as emotive and subtle as bass drum.

Kit Harrington: Just as bad as Emilia only without the shrieking and with a lot more face scrunching.

Eugene Simon: Can't find anything good to say about his performance. A simpering, whimpering reed of a screen presence.

Not quite bad, but just not very good is Aidan Gillen: Not a whole lot of nuance in his portrayal of Littlefinger . I've seen Aidan on stage and on screen, and he's usually a much better actor than he's managing to deliver here.

My personal top (or rather bottom) 5:

Sibel Kikelli

Oona Chaplin

Emilia Clarke

Aiden Gillen

Kit Harrington

The last 3 are way above Sibel and Oona but I just felt Aiden's accent was a bit all over the place in S2 and Kit and Emilia have a bit of trouble expressing emotion (Emilia too much, Kit not enough.). But those 3 are decent, just not up to the standards of the rest of the stellar cast. Oona and Sibel though, I just cringe every scene they're in.

I don't thnk Emilia is a bad actress at all. I think the problem is that she's been given some really cheesy lines. "I will take what is mine with fire and blood, I will take it" repeated over and over again.

Kit's just got to work on his facial expressions. He has had ONE facial expression since the show began, that stoic look. The ONLY other look he's given is when in Season One, Same told him he always wanted to be a wizard and Jon laughs.

As far as I KNOW, Jon is the only one who has read all the book, so we know he's at least trying to get an understanding of his character.

Sibell Kekill (sp?) could use some classes.

I can't name any more. And it's not really that these people are bad actors, it's just that GoT has gotten such seasoned actors (Bean[even if it was only 1 season], Cunningham, Dinklage, Dance, Fairley, etc) that for all the other actors, their skill can easily become flawed in comparison.

And even though this is a board for bad actors, I just want to mention how fantastic the kids on this show are. Maisie and Isaac are great!

Peter Jackson got to him.

That's not true. In a blog post the actor stated that it was HBO's decision and that he would be happy to return if they wanted to. Look it up.

I reeeeally love Emilia Clarke, I think she's ethereal and charismatic, but she could do with a few more classes of acting, IMO.

And again IMO, the problem with Carice isn't that she's a bad actress, but that she doesn't seem to be trying at all.

Emilia isn't a bad actress. She was given some cheesy lines, as well Kit. There is no much you could do about it.

I think I agree with this. Emilia isn't a bad actress, her lines are awful and repetitive. And I just hope to the old gods and the new that she does not go on any more "I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN..." tirades this season.

Oh, I have to say this one and it'll probably be unpopular: Sophie Turner. I think she's awful. Maybe it's just the scenes that she has provided for her but I sometimes wonder if there is any range to the emotions she can visually display with her face/body. And, again it could just be that there's not much variation for her as of yet, but I don't think she can even control her voice well. One scene that she was able to break out of her meek/timid character was her scene with Shae last year and she was better but not good.

Kit's just got to work on his facial expressions. He has had ONE facial expression since the show began, that stoic look. The ONLY other look he's given is when in Season One, Same told him he always wanted to be a wizard and Jon laughs.

As far as I KNOW, Jon is the only one who has read all the book, so we know he's at least trying to get an understanding of his character.

And here you briefly mix up the actor with the character. Can't be so bad then.

I'm going to list them by their character names.

Bad:

Ros and the rest of the prostitutes

Everybody from Qarth

Lancel

Shae

Talisa

Sansa

Bad, but not as bad as the others, and may have more to do with crap writing than acting: Robb, Dany, Littlefinger

On Jon: He is pretty damn emo and grumpy in the books, other than when he is around Arya and Sam. So, looking like he is constipated all the time is oddly fitting for how I imagined his character.

I think the best actress on the show is Maise Williams.

Seriously.

The fact she's only 15 in such an epic story like this and I and many others think that is quite telling about how gifted she is. I'd be really surprised if she doesn't go on to have an extraordinary career.

As for Kit Harington? Eh, I like him. I'm not sure what it is with him, but he's not employing any aggression at all into the Jon role. Granted, Jon isn't the most aggressive character to begin with, but Jon is coming off like a scared little puppy in the TV series. This is not really the case.

Top 3 in the show for me are:

Charles Dance

Maise Williams

Peter Dinklage

I would put Liam Cunnigham and Stephen Dillane as honorable mention right after those 3.

The rest? I think they're all fine. None of them are bad.

There is no bad actor in the series for me. I can tell when I find acting bad because I normally cringe and tend to turn the volume down. Never have I done that with GoT.

I agree. I think the whole cast has been great. Some actors portrayals have been a little different from the characters from the books, but I think they are all good actors. Imo its pretty hard to say anything negative about this cast. HBO usually has the best casting on tv.

As for people dissing Emilia, you know who they wanted to cast for the role first? Tamzin Merchant. Think on that when you're unhappy with Emilia. It still makes me shiver.

Yes. Emilia is a great actress. I'm so happy Tazmin Merchant was recast. She was horrible in the Tudors. I hated het character, because of the way she acts., ugh.

I think the show has a great cast and i really dont understand that people are complaining about kit!

Archived