Why "silly" is the f*ing dumbest adjective in the English language

Guest Raidne

Guest RK Unsmoteable

I am convinced that we should leave all adjective choices and meaning to the Brits.

Ormond, my use of cheeky was just a Supertroopers reference joke. It's this utterly silly stoner comedy.

I was once voted as the "Silliest _____" (with the blank not being important). This was as an adult. How insulted should I feel? I mean, I wasn't stoked at the time, but I also wasn't horribly slighted.

I vote that you should not be insulted at all. You're the good silly kind.

If they meant it in a negative way, their opinion is not worthy of any response.

My Grandma used to call me and my siblings cheeky little sods if we ever had the tenacity to over come her mass cheating at cards and beat her.

I never hear silly said in my circle of friends beyond a rare occurrence of "you silly goose".

Silly is closer enough to my last name, it's as though you all are trying to year me down personally...

Are you that guy Jaxom Sillypants on Facebook?

I think the problem with nice in the UK is that it's seen as a filler and not a real commitment type word.

Nice could mean, good/bad/indifferent. It's used alot when you are not complaining, so a nice cup of tea really means it's not a good cup of tea. It's distinctly average cup of tea, or I am trying not to be rude.

edit:- Or maybe I am not trying to embrass my host with being over complementary

British people at tea time = perfect example of "silly."

I like the word silly. It sounds nice. :leaving:

I started having a real dislike for "nice" in jr. high. It was a non-descript word that would always start a sentence intended to tear someone apart. "She's nice but..." which would then turn into a paragraph's worth of specific, inflammatory, and emotionally charged negative descriptors that the milquetoast word "nice" had no chance of combatting.

I am grateful to the chef for reframing the word for me. :cheers:

Guest RK Unsmoteable

Interesting what people come up with on this forum. Go find some hobbies, people. They won't bite.

What do you think this guy thinks writing the OP in a thread like this involves, exactly?

But the real kicker is like, hi, see that number to the left that says 24,600 posts? But it's this thread, in particular, that makes you think I need a different hobby???

In the spirit of the thread, I'm thinking hard about the proper pejorative for this situation, but I'm really having a hard time putting my finger on the precise type of stupid at work here.

I think the problem with nice in the UK is that it's seen as a filler and not a real commitment type word.

Nice could mean, good/bad/indifferent. It's used alot when you are not complaining, so a nice cup of tea really means it's not a good cup of tea. It's distinctly average cup of tea, or I am trying not to be rude.

edit:- Or maybe I am not trying to embrass my host with being over complementary

Sometimes I just want " nice" though. If I've been to or through the airport, when I get home I just want a nice cup of tea. I want it to be distinctly average. I'm craving a return to normalcy. I don't want spectacular I want comforting and nice. See also a nice open fire, if too high it's too hot and can't be enjoyed.

Re "silly" as others have said, would most often use it in connection with small children, but sometimes use it in relation to a harmless waste of time that had some but not many redeeming qualities, e.g. a team trip to the pub with "team building" games. Yeah, its not the way I'd choose to spend my time, and games are ridiculous, but it wasn't a bad time so I'd describe it to my Mum or partner " it was all a bit silly".

Archived