Why "silly" is the f*ing dumbest adjective in the English language

Guest Raidne

British use of 'silly' is a bit different than the American isn't it? Since I am not either of, I'm not completely sure, but I have heard it in England and I thought it was sometimes used as a positive, like 'funny' which can be used both for something/someone fun and/or weird. What Paddington says basically.

I find this thread rather ironic. To hate a word so strongly is utterly silly, and for someone to have such visceral feelings for the word "silly" must require their life to have such a vast. impenetrable dearth of sorely-needed silliness. A silly person would never make such a thread, unless they did so facetiously just because of how silly of thing it is to do.

Silly is one of my favourite adjectives, it's multipurpose nature is part of its appeal. It's condescending without being rude, dismissive without being hostile. when used in the negative it has a certain halcyon aroma that somehow sweetens its bite. When used in the positive, the word contain a mirthful flavour that is very affecting, and not easily found in any other single word. It's an elegant clotheshorse of a word, that can take on whatever colour and weight implied by the context and project it with subtle force.

Twee is another favourite word of mine, though utterly unrelated, and for completely different reasons to silly.

I have no problems with "silly" myself.

What does surprise me about this thread is to see Americans using the word "cheeky". Until recently this was purely a British word. One of the personality trait tests I give to my students in psychology classes was developed in England and has a question with the word "cheeky" in it, and I still have to explain what that means to my students in Nebraska.

P.S. On the other hand, come to think of it, I'm not sure "cheeky" is really being used here exactly as it is in England. The question on the test I use is "As a child were you ever cheeky to your parents?", which means did you ever talk back to them in an insolent way, as I understand it. I'm not quite sure how that meaning goes along with the phrase "cheeky and fun." I can see how something could be considered insolent and "funny" at the same time, but "fun" and "funny" themselves don't have quite the same meaning for me in this context, and it's hard for me to see cheekiness as being "fun".

It's far more jokey and playful than any of the others.

When something is silly it's not really bad, or stupid its just funny in a sort of childish giggly sort of way. When I refer to some one as being or doing something silly, I mostly expect them to grin along with me.

This. In my mind, silly means "goofy," as in the behavior of my hell-spawn when they are doing something to get a laugh out of their parents.

it's a good pejorative for a three-year old to learn, as it does not necessarily imply discrimination against persons born with a mere two standard deviations or less above the mean on wechsler.

My 3-year olds are quite fond of the word. I believe they use it appropriately.

This. In my mind, silly means "goofy," as in the behavior of my hell-spawn when they are doing something to get a laugh out of their parents.

Well, exactly. Or our behavior when we are trying to get our 3-year olds to laugh (that usually ends with them saying "Mama, you're silly". True. Whatever I was doing was entirely silly.

Cheeky is a word that has changed meaning over the course of my lifetime and is now multipurpose. When I was young, giving your parents cheek, or being cheeky, was indeed being insolent and was a serious charge. But over time it came to be used more to mean slightly, but not excessively, irreverent in a funny way. It is also used to describe, jokingly, relatively inexpensive, but surprisingly tasty, wine.

:dunno:

Goofy is the equivalent I was thinking of too.

Cheeky is a word that has changed meaning over the course of my lifetime and is now multipurpose. When I was young, giving your parents cheek, or being cheeky, was indeed being insolent and was a serious charge. But over time it came to be used more to mean slightly, but not excessively, irreverent in a funny way. It is also used to describe, jokingly, relatively inexpensive, but surprisingly tasty, wine.

Thanks a lot for the explanation! :)

I use silly at times, but it means playful and whimsical when I use it.

I love the word nice. I use it a hundred or so times a day on the job.

'make it nice' is a personal mantra. I tell my chefs, cooks and sometimes even my spouse that whenever I am in the kitchen.

It means 'give it your everything. Give me perfection. Let the ingredients be respected and loved. Don't fuck this up. Don't fail me.'

Make it nice.

I think it means pretty much the same thing, doing something impertinent. It's just that there's more tolerance for things that are mildly bad manners than there used to be.

I think the problem with nice in the UK is that it's seen as a filler and not a real commitment type word.

Nice could mean, good/bad/indifferent. It's used alot when you are not complaining, so a nice cup of tea really means it's not a good cup of tea. It's distinctly average cup of tea, or I am trying not to be rude.

edit:- Or maybe I am not trying to embrass my host with being over complementary

Archived