Getting Older Is Weird

Commodore 64. Atari. Turbo Graphics 16!?* What, nobody has love for ColecoVision?

It might have been because I was "stuck" with an Odyssey2, but I never go into ColecoVision. It may very well have been jealousy based.

Dude, I was a spoiled brat as a kid, I had everything. Well I didn't have a C64.

But I had a Colecovision and I loved that thing. I had the Atari 2600 adapter so I could play all the 2600 games too. For Coleco itself I had Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Carnival, Burgertime, Frogger, Frogger 2, Smurf Adventure, Star Wars, Mr. Do, Mr. Do's Castle, Mousetrap, and Turbo with the steering wheel console controller, it was a steering wheel you plugged into controller #1 jack and controller #2 fit into a slot next to the wheel and it became the gear shift. It also had a gas pedal, but that sucked because it was a pain in the ass to keep depressed with your foot so we ended up just sitting on it whenever we played.

Impressive. But I notice you didn't mention Zaxxon. I'm very concerned.

I also had an Atari 400 game console/computer. It had game cartridges but it also had a cassette drive that could also play games. but you had to be in a real patient mood to play those because they took forever to load.

Dude, I'm almost positive that you are the closest person on this board to being exactly my age that I am aware of and need I remind you we do not speak of the Atari 400! Check your NDA.

It might have been because I was "stuck" with an Odyssey2, but I never go into ColecoVision. It may very well have been jealousy based.

OK THAT I've never heard of. Was this when Nintendo was still making playing cards?

Impressive. But I notice you didn't mention Zaxxon. I'm very concerned.

Dude, I'm almost positive that you are the closest person on this board to being exactly my age that I am aware of and need I remind you we do not speak of the Atari 400! Check your NDA.

Then how do I say it's for that system's cassette drive I spoke of that I had Zaxxon? Believe me I would have preferred if for the Coleco though.

And checking through my NDA's...no sequels to Highlander...check. Heroes only had one season...check. Wales does not exist...check. Got all those but must have missed the one for that particular system. Why do we need one? The keyboard sucked and cassette drive could be monotonous but the cartridge games were great.

look, I've read all your posts, I'm obviously actually older than most of you but I'm just gonna say what I say to my kids, how did you get so big when I just stay the same?

(to my husband i say "you'd have grey hair too if you were married to you")

:cool4: :lol: :mellow: because there is no "in denial" emoticon!

Then how do I say it's for that system's cassette drive I spoke of that I had Zaxxon? Believe me I would have preferred if for the Coleco though.

And checking through my NDA's...no sequels to Highlander...check. Heroes only had one season...check. Wales does not exist...check. Got all those but must have missed the one for that particular system. Why do we need one? The keyboard sucked and cassette drive could be monotonous but the cartridge games were great.

I... alright. I know you're like a few weeks older/younger than me so I'll just chalk this up to old age/youth.

This is something I think about often because I keep getting stomach punched by it.

Because when you watch a lot of sports you're frequently confronted with players your age, who got drafted the year you came out of college, who are treated as geriatric, put out to stud or often clearly in decline with their physical skills. That makes me feel great. Infact the guys I'm putting all my hopes into, across the board, are millenials born in the 90s. They were nurtured on fucking Teletubbies and I'm venturing my emotional well-being on them being leaders of men. One even tweeted he found the latest Wayans Brothers movie to be hilarious which caused me to make this face for a good half hour.

Also thanks a lot 20 year re-release of Jurassic Park! Dicks. Next year it's going to be Pulp Fiction. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Remember the kid from Boy Meets World? He's now 32. So am I.

2. Ralph Macchio is now as old as Pat Morita was when they made the first Karate Kid. FUCK YOU.

Shocking and disturbing. Although sneaky fact: Ralph Macchio was also older than Sensei Kreese in the original Karate Kid. Back me up on this internet!

Also thanks a lot 20 year re-release of Jurassic Park! Dicks. Next year it's going to be Pulp Fiction. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Remember the kid from Boy Meets World? He's now 32. So am I.

1) I was just talking about this movie this morning with a co-worker, who had never heard of it and asked me if it was a new movie. I started to say "It's kinda new," then realized that it came out almost twenty years ago and gulped.

2) Corey is 32?!?! I remember when he was in sixth grade, and saw Topanga in a swimsuit and only Mincus could still make coherent sounds to her!

For me, it's realizing that my students were born in this millenium. As in...they've never, on any level, know the 90s. And another... kids graduating university this year probably have no idea that Will Smith used to be a scrawny, comedy sitcom actor. Not a ripped, distinguished, Oscar-worthy actor.

As someone who is gay myself, one of the things younger gay and lesbian people never had to go through was the feeling that you were the only person in the world (or at least the only otherwise sane person in the world) to be attracted to the same sex. There is no way that a young gay person growing up in a developed country today can feel quite as "different" as people of my generation did as kids.

I think this is probably true for gay and lesbian. Being trans is still weird and poorly known enough to be aware of the existence of trans people, but still think that doesn't apply to you and feel like you are a special unique snowflake. At least that's true for me, and my advanced 30 years still qualify me as younger from your perspective :P

ETA: So in about 30 years, 32k to the massive chips of today. I wonder what you guys in your 20s will see in 30 years...

Well if the predictions of exponential grow continue someone with a brain (ie not me) could probably extrapolate. Another thing though is that if the current pace continues to accelerate, imagine how much weirder the world is going to look to us in another 10 years. The jump from the "theres always been tv" to "theres always been internet" will look like nothing compared to what we see in another 30 years.

This topic crops up in my mind from time to time...I think it's worse for those in that 32-42 range right now. It's not mutually exclusive to that age group, just worse.

I took typing classes for crying out loud. On an IBM typewriter. A typewriter. Less than three years later, those skills were being fully realized on computers and my little brother and sister, for and six years junior to me never saw a typewriter.

Straddling what was and what has come to pass is the lot in life if those who we born in the 70s, grew up in the 80s and came if age in three 90s...and it's sometimes a bitch...

And I have zero issues with Topanga being in her early 30s... :P

This topic crops up in my mind from time to time...I think it's worse for those in that 32-42 range right now. It's not mutually exclusive to that age group, just worse.

I took typing classes for crying out loud. On an IBM typewriter. A typewriter. Less than three years later, those skills were being fully realized on computers and my little brother and sister, for and six years junior to me never saw a typewriter.

Straddling what was and what has come to pass is the lot in life if those who we born in the 70s, grew up in the 80s and came if age in three 90s...and it's sometimes a bitch...

And I have zero issues with Topanga being in her early 30s... :P

I'm cool with Topanga being 30, 32. But Corey's a kid in my mind (even though he was older than me). When I think of Corey, his voice isn't even cracking yet...

I'm cool with Topanga being 30, 32. But Corey's a kid in my mind (even though he was older than me). When I think of Corey, his voice isn't even cracking yet...

Yeah Corey was the quintessential little brother both on the show and to Fred Savage. I swear he started on that show as a 9 year old and though the math doesn't work out I'm standing by that.

This is a picture of the little kid from A Christmas Story

http://www.imdb.com/...?ref_=tt_cl_t11

And here's the little kid from Jerry Maguire who is struggling so badly these days he apparently can't afford shirts.

Anyone remember the Timex-Sinclair 1000? The computer with the membrane keyboard that got so hot you could blister your fingers.

I did my first computing on a Radio Shack Trash TRS 80. Yes that's right youngsters. Radio Shack was once a leader in the computer business.

Winnie Cooper is 38, she's one month older than me :eek:

Linda Cardellini, Lindsay Weir, is playing a mom with a kid in college on Mad Men :bang:

I'm afraid I'm so old I don't know who any of those people are. (I have seen some episodes of MM though.)

When Pink Floyd released their first album I was three years old, fifteen by the time The Wall came out and thirty when their last album was released. Some of you weren't even alive when The Division Bell came out in '94.

For me the worst really is realizing I'm going to have to work hard to keep myself healthy and mobile as the kids start to get older. That's a serious reality check...

I'm turning 24 but I always feel like I'm turning 25 (okay, joke only). I'm astounded that I've been in this world for almost a quarter of a century.

I was devastated that I had to get prescription glasses last week, and thought that this is it, I'm not YA anymore; but I was also amazed that I had my check up and glasses in just under two hours. I used to accompany my grandma to the optometrist when I was a little kid and I remember it taking much longer than that.

Gone are the days when I have boy band crushes too. Now I see them as the model for what my future baby should look like. :P

I love technology, but my main gripe is how it manages to make time fly so much faster. I feel like I've lived 3 years in the span of an actual year. I remember ye old days without the Internet, it was a relaxed period of my life, with many friendship-building adventures and experiences because there was no Facebook to log-on to.

I love technology, but my main gripe is how it manages to make time fly so much faster. I feel like I've lived 3 years in the span of an actual year. I remember ye old days without the Internet, it was a relaxed period of my life, with many friendship-building adventures and experiences because there was no Facebook to log-on to.

That's not technology, that's just getting older.

I remember in highschool 1 hour periods seemed like they would never end and I was constantly counting days til the next holidays. Now that I work a 10 sometimes 12 hour job, a month passes and I'm like "wait what it's summer already? But christmas was yesterday!"

That's not technology, that's just getting older.

I remember in highschool 1 hour periods seemed like they would never end and I was constantly counting days til the next holidays. Now that I work a 10 sometimes 12 hour job, a month passes and I'm like "wait what it's summer already? But christmas was yesterday!"

I think you're right. What I'm getting at originally, is everything is slow because I've got nothing to do. Now there's too many things to do and so little time (that's why I accomplish much when Westeros is down), but now I'm guessing it's also due to getting older and having complicated and more time-consuming tastes.

Archived