Dexter: The Final Season

Commodore

I think Vogel is going to come to the conclusion that Dexter may not have been destined to be a sociopahic killer after all, but that she and Harry made it happen. I think she'll admit this to Dexter and he'l kill her for "being responsible" for all those people dying :P

I think that would totally undermine the significance of season 1, where Brian represented what dexter would've been without his code. Or maybe they could do some ret-conning and bring all of that up before the end.

I dunno it seems like a hot steaming mess right now. The show's recent history at handling messes (s5-7) isn't great, so I have my doubts about it being sorted out properly.

What Vogel would need to realise is that he only started caring for these people later in life. When the show started he had no feelings at all for his wife - it was merely a cover. He's always been loyal to his sister and he feels he has to care about his son. Over the course of the show he's become far more human and it's rare that we ever hear about him pretending to care. Maybe this was a combination of Rita, Harrison and Debs or even realising the Trinity killer had a "normal" life (although it turned out to be fake).

The worrying thing is that his code slipped as he became more human. I'd hope they'd make this work int he show as it always bugged me how "convenient" the code became to the point where he killed people who could very easily be caught by the police.

Vogel could easily claim that the code "cured" him but then she'd have a responisbility for him to stop. If the show ends all happy - maybe this will be how Dexter gives up the serial killer life as he knows he has no addiction at all. I'd like a more violent ending though :)

I'd definitely think Dex "evolving" past his sociopathic tendencies would make for a better ending. That's what I meant by Vogel possibly trying to "cure," Dex. In other words, not so much help him suppress his desire to kill but possibly overcome it altogether. Anything they do though is likely gonna beat where the books took him--as being possessed by some demon.

I guess I'm the only one that wants him to remain a sociopath? I don't know, that's much preferable as an ending to me. It's bleak, but I dislike the idea of Dexter "overcoming" his sociopathy through...I don't even know what? Love for Deb and his son? Wasn't the implication in the last episode that Dexter's love is narcissistic and based on what he wants? It doesn't seem like something that is overcome. It just seems...convenient. Especially since Dexter seemed to get worse as time went on.

The show has definitely played fast and loose with his sociopathy, but I'd prefer that they sticked to how early Dex saw himself.

I think the whole series has been about how Dex is not the "average sociopath," so showing him evolving past his sociopathic behavior could be a nice ending for the series, depending on how it's handled. I'm also not averse to having him die off or just continue onward as "normal" either.

I guess I'm the only one that wants him to remain a sociopath? I don't know, that's much preferable as an ending to me. It's bleak, but I dislike the idea of Dexter "overcoming" his sociopathy through...I don't even know what? Love for Deb and his son? Wasn't the implication in the last episode that Dexter's love is narcissistic and based on what he wants? It doesn't seem like something that is overcome. It just seems...convenient. Especially since Dexter seemed to get worse as time went on.

The show has definitely played fast and loose with his sociopathy, but I'd prefer that they sticked to how early Dex saw himself.

I think what's interesting is how he became worse as he became more human. Back in the early days when he was an emotionless killer trying to survive he always followed the code and only ever went after killers who had escaped the justice system. It was probably the writers getting lazy in not bothering with coming up with how the killers escaped the law but it would be nice to tie it in with him becoming more human. I can't think of the last time he killed someone who the police couldn't touch.

Anything they do though is likely gonna beat where the books took him--as being possessed by some demon.

I hope you are shitting me? I guess sometimes the source material isn't always the best.

Here is my theory I posted on a different site after last week's episode:

Vogel is using Dexter to eliminate her former patients, who all have dirt on her because she encouraged them killing with a code, and wants him to take out the Brain Surgeon before he ends up revealing her. Each one has a slightly different code because she was using it as an 'experiment' and she thought she nailed it with Dexter's code. The Brain Surgeon is a former patient (I first thought it was her but that seems like a red herring) who has figured out how she basically used their lives and psychological issues to experiment as well as profit with her books and he is now killing all of the 'code killers' because he has accepted that he is not any sort of 'perfection' or blessing to society--he is just a fucked up killer.

See how she always calls Dexter "perfect" like he is an experiment--the one that she finally got right and that she is proud of.

TOO MUCH DEBRA

That being said, next week's preview looks promising, with Dex FINALLY shoving Debra aside. Now that will be glorious.

Edit: I'm not at all surprised at where they're taking the show, because almost every poster here knew that Dex was a guinea pig. I still don't get the need to hide the brain surgeon for this long, though. That's why I still think it would've been much better if Brian was the surgeon.

I don't see how Dexter can have feelings now considering he never cared about Rita. Maybe his son and Debra? Sounds dumb, but this show has gone off the rails years ago.

He did come to love Rita. It started out as a cover for him, but became real. IIRC, he says so himself.

As for last night's episode, I found Deb to be far less annoying than usual, until the very end. The actress does a good job at playing a broken Deb--very refreshing in comparison to her usual tough, butch, bitchy Deb. I have always disliked Deb, but last night she was tolerable (until the end).

I don't see how Dexter can have feelings now considering he never cared about Rita. Maybe his son and Debra? Sounds dumb, but this show has gone off the rails years ago.

Last part is true, but he did love Rita. I think he realized that at the beginning of season 5 when he lost it and screamed.

He also loved Hannah iirc (not sure because last season was forgettable).

Last part is true, but he did love Rita. I think he realized that at the beginning of season 5 when he lost it and screamed.

He also loved Hannah iirc (not sure because last season was forgettable).

I think the show's quality differs from season to season. Earlier ones were better IMO, but I actually liked Sirko's character. Seasons 5 and 6 were definitely the weakest, though.

TOO MUCH DEBRA

That being said, next week's preview looks promising, with Dex FINALLY shoving Debra aside. Now that will be glorious.

Edit: I'm not at all surprised at where they're taking the show, because almost every poster here knew that Dex was a guinea pig. I still don't get the need to hide the brain surgeon for this long, though. That's why I still think it would've been much better if Brian was the surgeon.

Brian the Brain Surgeon. Sounds like a serial killer in the world of Thomas the Tank Engine :)

It seemed a bit obvious to me that Debs was going to try and kill him. What was a surprise was how quickly she changed her mind and tried to save him. Dexter's response to this is going to be very interesting. Human Dexter should realise how fucked up he has made her. Monster Dexter will be very pissed off.

I thought Angel had cheated on Quinn's exam for a while but it doesn't seem to be the case. More likely is Angel passing him over for promotion now.

Was the Misuka scene just for laughs? (the laughs did make me laugh) Or is it some kind of wrap up for his non-character arc.

Here is my theory I posted on a different site after last week's episode:

Seems pretty plausible. I'd just add the fact that Vogel is still experimenting on Dexter to discover why it worked with him but failed with everyone else. As others have suggested it will end with some rainbow hugging theory of how he was never a monster in the first place.

Brian the Brain Surgeon. Sounds like a serial killer in the world of Thomas the Tank Engine :)

It seemed a bit obvious to me that Debs was going to try and kill him. What was a surprise was how quickly she changed her mind and tried to save him. Dexter's response to this is going to be very interesting. Human Dexter should realise how fucked up he has made her. Monster Dexter will be very pissed off.

I thought Angel had cheated on Quinn's exam for a while but it doesn't seem to be the case. More likely is Angel passing him over for promotion now.

Was the Misuka scene just for laughs? (the laughs did make me laugh) Or is it some kind of wrap up for his non-character arc.

Seems pretty plausible. I'd just add the fact that Vogel is still experimenting on Dexter to discover why it worked with him but failed with everyone else. As others have suggested it will end with some rainbow hugging theory of how he was never a monster in the first place.

I agree with your addition :)

I think Dexter will end up ending himself in some way. I can't see him turning himself in--it needs to be clean for Harrison. I think he will end up killing himself in some way. I have no doubts that he is a "monster" in some form. I mean, the show has been based on his "need" to kill and how he has been drifting away from his clean, moral (using the term loosely) killing. He has been in denial all season about the evil inside him, especially this season. I think in the end, it's going to be very dark for Dexter, and no rainbows will be present.

And I hope the whole thing with Misuka is just for laughs. I could never take him seriously as a character.

Archived