Dexter: The Final Season

Commodore

This is why i felt I had missed something, when at the end of the episode, they are throwing out the brain samples and patting each others' backs on a case solved. Considering Dexter's supposed to be "right" when he kills his victims it's very sloppy. I guess they know he is a killer at least but still...

I miss the non-improvised kill rooms and the plastic wrap. The ones that ended in death, not sex or a chase or something. It was the ritual that showed Dexter at his most (mentally psychologically) peaceful moments.

You'd think they could come up with a decent ending arc for the final season without this killer of the week filler crap

Dexter should have been on the run or one step ahead of getting found out by the police the entire season.

And they fake a game changing event but don't follow through. Deb confesses, but not really. Deb kills herself and Dexter, but not really.

It's funny that Season Two had a better potential end of season nail-biter plot than the series 6 years after it. Seriously, work on the finale and make more people suspicious and you'd have a The Shield-esque finale that's more captivating than whatever the fuck is going on here. Maybe they're just taking it slow for now, but I must admit, I find it difficult to care.

But then, is it that bad that they're subverting the popular expectation of Dex on the run/heading to jail (for now)? David Chase kinda has a point about that. Dex was the protagonist for most of the show and now all of a sudden, at the end, he has to go to jail?

I miss Doakes. He was the only member of the police department that wasn't a complete jackass who wasted screentime.

And that's only because he died before they got round to it.

It's funny that Season Two had a better potential end of season nail-biter plot than the series 6 years after it. Seriously, work on the finale and make more people suspicious and you'd have a The Shield-esque finale that's more captivating than whatever the fuck is going on here. Maybe they're just taking it slow for now, but I must admit, I find it difficult to care.

But then, is it that bad that they're subverting the popular expectation of Dex on the run/heading to jail (for now)? David Chase kinda has a point about that. Dex was the protagonist for most of the show and now all of a sudden, at the end, he has to go to jail?

I agree the set up of season 2 was a perfect endgame. Considering the writers have been hinting they were writing for a finale there is, so far, little of it. Maybe it will just be a normal season with an "end" episode tacked on?

I miss Doakes. He was the only member of the police department that wasn't a complete jackass who wasted screentime.

Couldn't agree more. Doakes was great. Masuka has some funny moments, but I find myself not even caring about him anymore. The thing with the daughter, wtf.

And that's only because he died before they got round to it.

I agree the set up of season 2 was a perfect endgame. Considering the writers have been hinting they were writing for a finale there is, so far, little of it. Maybe it will just be a normal season with an "end" episode tacked on?

I am not even sure that we are going to get an "end" episode. This season was written and shot with the idea that they were going to continue the series and then was cancelled.

Couldn't agree more. Doakes was great. Masuka has some funny moments, but I find myself not even caring about him anymore. The thing with the daughter, wtf.

masuka's daughter is another serial killer dexter will find out about and kill.

I am not even sure that we are going to get an "end" episode. This season was written and shot with the idea that they were going to continue the series and then was cancelled.

Really? Then everything makes sense.

But that would be weird considering that they knew they were renewed for two more seasons and shouldn't have expected to go on longer than that.

Could you link me to where you read that? Last I checked (which to be fair was after last season ended) the chief writer said they were writing an ending and that this would only change if they were made to do another season. So last I checked this really was written with the showing finishing.

It wouldn't be the first time producers changed their minds but I'd be surprised.

Could you link me to where you read that?; Last I checked (which to be fair was after last season ended) the chief writer said they were writing an ending and that this would only change if they were made to do another season. So last I checked this really was written with the showing finishing.

It wouldn't be the first time producers changed their minds but I'd be surprised.

This.

Because your post, HP, is the only time I've seen that assertion.

I don't know where you saw that but it's definitly not true. The show was not cancelled and they were writting it as the end.

The reason why things feel like it's not the final season is because they might do a spin-off series so I guess they're keeping some people alive. Masuka, for one.

Extremely disappointed with this season so far. This show definitely went a couple seasons to long. I wish they would bring Hannah back, sooner rather than later, to create some kind of halfway interesting storyline.

It had two good seasons, everything after that was utter crap.

Yeah I'd say seasons 1, 2 and 4 are great, and then there are some middling seasons (3, 5, 7), and then the horrible mess of season 6. I actually kind of liked Brian as the dark passenger, but on every other level that season was a lost cause. Season 7 wasn't all that great either, because the deb storyline kept getting in its own way. Now that they seem to have that wrapped up, maybe the show can tighten up towards a strong finish.

Disappointed so far, was expecting more from the final season (would also like more killings from Dex which would be irrelevant to the main case/antagonist).

Regarding seasons, imo 4, 2, 1 were excellent, 3 was very good, 5, 6 were good and 7 was average. So far season 8 is below average for me. I was expecting at least a "good" one since in the final season they can play with concepts they couldn't earlier. Maybe it will improve.

In order, I think it goes (for me):

Season

1) One--the Ice Truck Killer

2) Two--Doakes/Bay Harbor Butcher

3) Four--Trinity

4) Three--Prado

5) Seven--Sirko/the mob

6) Five--Chase/Lumen

7) Six--Travis/Gellar

The ones I really thought were bad were season five and six. Lumen was a nice foil for a while, but the plot wasn't very good, nor were the antagonists. Season six was pretty awful from the get-go. Contrary to popular opinion, I liked both Sirko and Prado as anti-heroes/villains. They were guys that were on the edge and not just another crazy killer, and they also offered some enlightenment to Dexter.

My information comes from people I know that actually worked on the filming of the show. While I was not told details, I do know that they didn't get their pink slips until Les Moonvies made the announcement that the show would end. That was a month or two before this season aired and the show was in the can. That tells me that it was written in a way that it could have been picked up for another season.

With this knowledge in hand, I understand why this year has not been the finale that we expected.

Archived