Dexter: The Final Season

Commodore

I've been a loyal Dexter fan all along. Heck, I don't even find the notorious season 6 that bad.

But this season has begun as the biggest disappointment in the history of the show. The story seems to be running in cirlces.. Deb hates Dex, Deb forgives Dex, Deb is mad again at Dex, now they're friends again. There's one candidate for the Brain-whatever killer, oops he's just a cannibal, oh there's another possible candidate, oh he's probably just a psycho who likes to break bones.

I hope a show like that will end on a better note

My information comes from people I know that actually worked on the filming of the show. While I was not told details, I do know that they didn't get their pink slips until Les Moonvies made the announcement that the show would end. That was a month or two before this season aired and the show was in the can. That tells me that it was written in a way that it could have been picked up for another season.

With this knowledge in hand, I understand why this year has not been the finale that we expected.

So it was cancelled then? I've heard a few spoilers that could leave the show on an open end (which would not be my preference). Did they say why they got pink slips, or has the show lost that much of its following?

On a whim we drove to the beach for an evening stroll and drove by the street that they film Angel, Vogel's and Quin's homes. It's so crazy how they make everything look so different when they film. The people that make sets and locations don't get nearly enough credit.

Oh shit it just got interesting. Hannah plus apprentice. Okay then.

Sucks to hear about this being a cancellation and not a finale. WTF Showtime.

I agree, I think the season is progressing very nicely. It is definatley more enjoyable than last season.

I dod not hear about the cancellation and I find this news upsetting. I was looking forward to a resolution. I hope they reshot the finale to include one. I will be gravely disappointed having invested so much into the show (which includes keeping my Showtime subscription for it). They gave Weeds a propper send off, Dexter deserves more than the same.

My information comes from people I know that actually worked on the filming of the show. While I was not told details, I do know that they didn't get their pink slips until Les Moonvies made the announcement that the show would end. That was a month or two before this season aired and the show was in the can. That tells me that it was written in a way that it could have been picked up for another season.

With this knowledge in hand, I understand why this year has not been the finale that we expected.

Fair enough. I'm still not entirely convinced this doesn't mean it was written with an ending in mind as they did say they'd write it as a conclusion but with room for an ending. As far as we know the extended season could be for his new apprentice to take over with Debs as his "finder" and Dexter in prison or dead (I'm guessing prison if they wanted to keep the show going).

It's just not going to be a perfect ending which is ridiculous as the studio should have given them a season's notice as this was billed final season long before it even aired.

Hannah turning up at the end was a genuine surprise. Hope they bother to tell us how she got out of prison at least.

They could always have Dexter in prison like Hannibal and consult him when they have a hard-to-catch serial killer on the loose.

If Zach were more interesting, I wouldn't mind the end being Dexter on Zach's table, but they'd have to do a bit of work to make that my preference.

If Zach were more interesting, I wouldn't mind the end being Dexter on Zach's table, but they'd have to do a bit of work to make that my preference.

I agree here. He seems nothing like Dexter, who was (early on) calm, calculated, objective. Zach is instead very full of emotion, completely subjective in who he kills,

Why is Deb so glorified? I don't find her attractive (Khloe Kardashian anyone?), her personality would turn me into a serial killer, and she has basically no self control. But somehow the show treats her as being able to get any man, and being most men's dream girl.

Hannah's return is so deus ex machina. If we stay true to Dexter's character, he would know when/if she got out of prison. She did try to kill his sister and she does know his biggest secret. I liked her character last season but I think if the show turns her into another mad villain it will fall flat.

I really don't like what Vogel's role is seeming to be--a segue for Dexter to take an apprentice. From the start, I saw her as a creator of madness, as someone who was destined to be plastic wrapped and dumped into the bay. I thought she was taking killers and applying rules to their killing so that she could use them as case studies, and that Dexter was always the most interesting because he had a sort of apathetic-empathy that allowed him to be moral, while still avoiding guilt and insanity.

I don't give a damn about Masuka. :bang:

I was holding onto hope for this season, but the last episode made me feel like a fool. :dunce: There are far too many forced story lines going on, and side plots that are awful (Angel, Masuka, neighbor-girl). Season one had the perfect idea of a side plot--Deb and Brian/Rudy dating, turning out to be a major manipulation by the villain.

Yeah I hope they don't gloss over the fact that the apprentice killed an innocent. Dexter hasn't done that. He has killed a ton of people who don't fit the code (as they have totally forgotten the "if the police/justice system can't catch them" which should be addressed now Vogel is here) but the new kid is a killer. Hopefully it all goes wrong anyhow. I think/hope Quinn is all over the kid and this creates conflict for Dexter.

It's like they decided they had to squeeze in a pointless Masuka storyline as he's the only one who hasn't been ruined by such things.

Dexter has a charming personality as a mask for his true self. Zach is weird 24/7, so either he develops the cover like Dexter did or that will be his downfall.

If they want to go the contrived route, then Hannah's new husband could be the brain surgeon, or she could be in league with the guy.

But the mention of Vogel's husband has me thinking he's the brain surgeon. It could be very possible that the 2 Vogels are a deadly team.

Dexter has a charming personality as a mask for his true self. Zach is weird 24/7, so either he develops the cover like Dexter did or that will be his downfall.

If they want to go the contrived route, then Hannah's new husband could be the brain surgeon, or she could be in league with the guy.

But the mention of Vogel's husband has me thinking he's the brain surgeon. It could be very possible that the 2 Vogels are a deadly team.

Yeah that's a good theory - the mention of her husband was a bit of a sledgehammer so there's something to it. For a horrible moment I thought it was going to turn out her husband was Trinity if they were going to be super contrived. If that was the case then Hannah may as well be their secret lovechild.

But husband as brain surgeon seems good. I mean they can't seriously have ended the brain surgeon case can they? Did the police just leave it as another unsolved case for that matter?

Archived