Dexter: The Final Season

Commodore

I found it a little telling that in the scene where you saw the killers hand, it was wearing a rubber glove. I personally believe that is so there is no reveal that the character is a woman because of painted nails.

I think that the killer is actually Vogel and she is going to try and use Dex to further an agenda.

I thought this too, and was hoping not as it would be too obvious.

I personally find it interesting that more than once, Vogel's been surprised by Dexter - ie. You wanted someone to talk to? People like you usually don't..., etc. My thought - wouldn't it be interesting if Dexter wasn't naturally like that at all (the child was just processing the emotional trauma of his history) and she and Harry's training pushed him into thinking he was!

The serial killer Hunger Games scenario is far more interesting to me than her being the killer herself.

I thought this too, and was hoping not as it would be too obvious.

I personally find it interesting that more than once, Vogel's been surprised by Dexter - ie. You wanted someone to talk to? People like you usually don't..., etc. My thought - wouldn't it be interesting if Dexter wasn't naturally like that at all (the child was just processing the emotional trauma of his history) and she and Harry's training pushed him into thinking he was!

The serial killer Hunger Games scenario is far more interesting to me than her being the killer herself.

That would be fucked up if they made Dexter into the serial killer he never was going to be. I've thought Harry was a dick for some time now - this would nail it.

Having only seen Hunger games how exactly is this possibly playing out in Dexter? Vogel's setting serial killers of serial killers against each other? Or she's just setting all her murderous test subjects against each other?

Having only seen Hunger games how exactly is this possibly playing out in Dexter? Vogel's setting serial killers of serial killers against each other? Or she's just setting all her murderous test subjects against each other?

Yes, setting serial killers she's created/moulded/shaped against each other is how I was thinking of it.

Vogel reminds me a lot of Hannibal so far (minus the unconventional tastes in meat)

Especially if she has been programming killers. I was thinking "someone has read the pitch/scripts for Hannibal this year" with episode 2.

Yes, setting serial killers she's created/moulded/shaped against each other is how I was thinking of it.

I agree that could be fun.

You can say all that about Vogel & Harry creating Dexter but at the same time what she said to him in last nights episode was pretty on the money. Dexter doesn't care about Deb the same way she cares about him. To paraphrase, she said that Deb gave up everything she was for Dexter when she killed La Guerta, selfless love. If Dexter was truly capable of the same he would allow Deb to confess, in fact he would confess himself, throw himself onto his sword in the same way Deb did for him. He is clearly incapable of this to the point that he is willing to pull a syringe on Deb in a police station to save his own ass. Everything Dexter does (re Deb) is predicated on what Deb means to him, not on Deb as a human person. Dexter has no conscience. This is the defining aspect of his personality. As for how the season will progress. I like the idea of Vogel pitting serial killers against each other but it's with a purpose. She is seeking to create the ultimate psychopath through Darwinian methodology but she has decided in her own mind that the winner will be Dexter, she has a favourite. I can see Vogel either killing Deb or manipulating her into killing herself in an effort to "free" Dexter & this is what will lead her to her inevitable place on Dexter's slab.

As if it wasn't already, this show is really coming off the rails.

Seriously this show has gone on about 4 seasons too long.

Seems like you have watched it for 4 seasons too long as well. On the brightside it is ending this season so your pain should end soon :)

I'm crossing my fingers that the show is about to retcon the worst thing that has happened in the show - Debs falling in Live with Dexter. I'm hoping it's going to turn out that Vogel blackmailed the other psychiatrist into pushing that idea on to her. It could be that she wanted to see how Dexter would respond. It is far fetched but I think it's still more plauisble than a shrink telling someone to have a physical relationship with their foster brother.

I guess Dexter has always insinuated that Miami has a lot of killers living there but for there to be a cannibal was a stretch, Still hoping it's all Vogel cleaning up her past experiments using Dexter (and a mystery killer).

I take it Quinn saw that Dexter syringed his sister?

Seems like you have watched it for 4 seasons too long as well. On the brightside it is ending this season so your pain should end soon :)

It's still better than most TV shows, so I don't mind watching it. It just doesn't nearly live up to the high standards it set early on. Plus many of the themes are really being overplayed now. For instance, Vogel is the one reveling in Dexter's psychopathy, whereas earlier in the show Dex himself marveled at the person he was.

RE: Quinn, I'm not sure he saw it. Dexter was in the way, but it might be possible.

EDIT: Did anyone else get creeped out by Dexter's look when he was about to kill that cannibal? That was the real Dexter showing himself, and MCH played it to a T. His acting is leagues ahead of anyone else on the show (that's not saying much, but still).

You can say all that about Vogel & Harry creating Dexter but at the same time what she said to him in last nights episode was pretty on the money. Dexter doesn't care about Deb the same way she cares about him. To paraphrase, she said that Deb gave up everything she was for Dexter when she killed La Guerta, selfless love. If Dexter was truly capable of the same he would allow Deb to confess, in fact he would confess himself, throw himself onto his sword in the same way Deb did for him. He is clearly incapable of this to the point that he is willing to pull a syringe on Deb in a police station to save his own ass. Everything Dexter does (re Deb) is predicated on what Deb means to him, not on Deb as a human person. Dexter has no conscience. This is the defining aspect of his personality.

Not sure. Considering this is the last season, it may be foreshadowing to his actually making the "great sacrifice" that would be unexpected of a psychopath. :dunno:

I'm crossing my fingers that the show is about to retcon the worst thing that has happened in the show - Debs falling in Live with Dexter. I'm hoping it's going to turn out that Vogel blackmailed the other psychiatrist into pushing that idea on to her. It could be that she wanted to see how Dexter would respond. It is far fetched but I think it's still more plauisble than a shrink telling someone to have a physical relationship with their foster brother.

I guess Dexter has always insinuated that Miami has a lot of killers living there but for there to be a cannibal was a stretch, Still hoping it's all Vogel cleaning up her past experiments using Dexter (and a mystery killer).

Oh, that would be a great retcon. Let's hope the writers go that route.

And, no, Quinn didn't see it.

What of Hannah? Over copious amounts of bourbon last night MC supposed that Vogel had some interaction with her and possibly she's the gloved killer. Personally, I find that a stretch given she's a poisoner through and through. I can't see her switching up MO so dramatically. Of course, we had been drinking heavily, so who knows.

As an aside, when Angel talks to Matthews, I thought he was going to complain about LaGuerta only meriting a bench.

I'm kind of confused about Quinn. Will this push to get him as sergeant come back around on his dirty dealings last year with the Russians/stripper? Or has that whole thing been dropped the way Ray Stevenson was? I find some of the floating around out there loose ends really annoying. Low hanging fruit that shouldn't be kicking around still.

Yeaah I'm getting the feeling they're going to retcon a bunch of stuff to make it look like Vogel has been pulling the strings of everything since the beginning.

Not a bad idea in and of itself, but it'd be a little contrived.

It's still better than most TV shows, so I don't mind watching it. It just doesn't nearly live up to the high standards it set early on. Plus many of the themes are really being overplayed now. For instance, Vogel is the one reveling in Dexter's psychopathy, whereas earlier in the show Dex himself marveled at the person he was.

I think it's one of the worst cases of a show being spun out due to its success of the last few years. And some seasons have been awful by comparison to the stronger ones. I quit after season 6 but a friend convinced me to give 7 a go. If I could have my time back I'd have never bothered with season 6 at all. It was terrible through and through.

What of Hannah? Over copious amounts of bourbon last night MC supposed that Vogel had some interaction with her and possibly she's the gloved killer. Personally, I find that a stretch given she's a poisoner through and through. I can't see her switching up MO so dramatically. Of course, we had been drinking heavily, so who knows.

The thought did cross my mind as well - although I also discounted it for the reasons you state. Hannah is definitely coming back and it does seem like Vogel is being positioned as the uber villain. Nice that they finally get around to having a female villain and she is the mother of all villains. She probably dated Trinity at some point. Which does lead me to agreeing with this;

Yeaah I'm getting the feeling they're going to retcon a bunch of stuff to make it look like Vogel has been pulling the strings of everything since the beginning.

We'd definitely have to suspend disbelief for this to work but hopefully the execution is good enough and it justifies the incest angle.

I think it'd be a bit weak for Dexter to make some noble sacrifice to prove that he is a good person afterall but I'll settle for any kind of ending at this point.

Eh, I don't think she's been pulling any strings "all along." But she's definitely the "mother" of Dexter the serial killer and I thought that was an interesting bit of origin info to include in the last season.

Vogel keeps inquiring about why Dex cares about Deb and feels guilt. I think they're setting up a possible thread where Vogel realizes she may have pegged Dex wrongly and is going to try and "cure" Dexter.

Archived