[No spoilers] The end credits song - Official poll?

Morrigan

As Cas Stark says it was an artifice, as wonderah correctly describes it, "Totally jarring, vicious. Chop. Scream. Rock. Over. Great stuff." a brechtian technique:

One of Brecht's most important principles was what he called the
(translated as "defamiliarization effect", "distancing effect", or "estrangement effect", and often mistranslated as "alienation effect").
This involved, Brecht wrote, "stripping the event of its self-evident, familiar, obvious quality and creating a sense of astonishment and curiosity about them".
To this end, Brecht employed techniques such as the actor's direct address to the audience, harsh and bright stage lighting,
the use of songs to
the action
, explanatory placards, and, in rehearsals, the transposition of text to the
or
, and speaking the stage directions out loud.

I understand what the producers/show runners were going for, but it didn't really play well for me. In my opinion, It actually lessened the impact of the absurdly great ending of the final scene -- it wasn't so catastrophically bad that it "ruined" the scene, but it did diminish it to some extent. So, yeah, thumbs down from me.

Funny thing is, I watched the episode online and in the version I was watching for some reason the song started playing before his hand was cut off. I was like, "Am I being trolled here?" I didn't even get to hear him scream. :s I don't think it would have bothered me having it for the end credits like it was supposed to be, but literally having it inserted in the middle of an intense and dramatic scene ruined it for me. Obviously, haha.

I don't like the version of the song.. but to complain that it was "terrible" and "too jarring over the credits"? Give me a break. This really just proves to me that people at this site exist only to piss and moan about every little thing that comes down the pipe like a bunch of petulant children.

I don't like the version of the song.. but to complain that it was "terrible" and "too jarring over the credits"? Give me a break. This really just proves to me that people at this site exist only to piss and moan about every little thing that comes down the pipe like a bunch of petulant children.

Yup

I just started laughing because it didn't fit at all

I enjoyed the song, I play on getting it on my iPod. I have been waiting to hear The Bear and the Maiden Fair on the show for sooooo long. The only problem I had was that, as for many of you, it took me right out of the scene. Jaime's hand just got cut off and it was like "Yay now let's listen to Bear and the Maiden Fair." It was strange

Actually, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau acting took me out of the action. Waiting to scream until he realized he got his hand chopped off worked as a WTF moment for me.

And, with the illusion kind of off, I liked the song. A happy music, but more related to the Westerosi universe, would have blended with the scene instead of breaking away that much from it. I also think, though, that Jaime had to scream when he was cut, and not after, for that to happen. But it wasn't the intend, though.

That end credits song redefined th word "flop." I was expecting a cool rendition similar to the ending of Blackwater but instead what we got was a crappy version that ruined an otherwise semi-epic ending of an episode. Everyone that I watched it with even said the song was ridiculous and thought it was a joke, and I was inclined to agree. On top of that, the last version was so shitty that some people did not even recognize it was the same song being song toward the middle of the ep., which is shameful in my opinion. Honestly, I would second what others have said on here that the first version sung was miles better. Locke (or whoever) was singing had a great voice, despite being a potential rapist.

People exist (on this forum) to discuss ASoIAF and GoT, including the creative decisions of the people behind the show. Granted, some people are more put off by certain changes than others, but no need to be a dick.

Funny thing is, I watched the episode online and in the version I was watching for some reason the song started playing before his hand was cut off. I was like, "Am I being trolled here?" I didn't even get to hear him scream. :s I don't think it would have bothered me having it for the end credits like it was supposed to be, but literally having it inserted in the middle of an intense and dramatic scene ruined it for me. Obviously, haha.

CouchTuner!!!!!!! YEHHHHHH #TEAMCOUCHTUNER

Some of us working class can't afford HBO

I like the Hold Steady but it wasn't how I imagined the song to go so I was a bit disappointed at first. I think the American accent put me off since no one in the show speaks with one. But I've listened to it again and it's growing on me. Also Gary Lightbody's version was pretty.

Archived