[Book spoilers] Dracarys!

Superb moment, loved it.

However, show-Dany has clearly known valryian before if you pay attention. She talks to a slave hung up in the walk of punishment.

But the slaver(s) didn't know that. Their reactions to her addressing the Unsullied was one of the most priceless moments of the series. :bowdown:

Apart from this scene being immensely awesome and epic, there's one small detail that really stood out to me.

Whenever Krasnyz speaks it sounds like he's essentially raping the language, forcing it to convey whatever he means to convey.

When Dany spoke however, the language sounded smooth, playful, majestic and commanding, like a free soaring dragon.

High and Low Valyrian.. As a linguist, these tidbits make me immensely happy :,)

Absolutely nailed it! So happy with this episode, feel that they got everything right.

An interesting note is that I watched this episode with my father (Who hasn't read the books) and the first thing he said was that she should've left some troops in Astapor. Mistake number 1 by Daenerys even being recognised by only show watchers.

I'm still rewatching the scene I honestly can't stop.

The execution of her lines (the Valyrian sounded PHENOMENAL), the fucking SPECTACULAR MUSIC, the widened eyes of the slavers as they realise shit is about to go down. The sound before Drogon blew that initial badass flame. The stamping of the spears. The ''holy shit'' look from Missandei, the three dragons in the air, the marching from the city, the nonchalant way she flings the slaver's whip aside and the amazing music all the way through oh god DAMN I SAID GOD DAMN that was fucking spectacular. A real treat to watch.

I read Jorah's and Barristan's reaction to Valyrian not as a surprise that Dany speaks Valyrian - both of them would know - but as a surprise "She just proved she undersood all the time and uncovered her cards... Midden is going to hit the ventilator". And both got ready to draw... While Missandei's surprise was quite puzzled and Kraznys was completely out of his depth.

I'm still rewatching the scene I honestly can't stop.

The execution of her lines (the Valyrian sounded PHENOMENAL), the fucking SPECTACULAR MUSIC, the widened eyes of the slavers as they realise shit is about to go down. The sound before Drogon blew that initial badass flame. The stamping of the spears. The ''holy shit'' look from Missandei, the three dragons in the air, the marching from the city, the nonchalant way she flings the slaver's whip aside and the amazing music all the way through oh god DAMN I SAID GOD DAMN that was fucking spectacular. A real treat to watch.

You sort of summed up my reaction. I was actually shaking when the credits came on. And the High Valyrian was epic. I want to learn it.

Yeah I noticed that. Was that Dany speaking proper Valyrian?

Yes. She was speaking High Valyrian.

And Kraznys was speaking Low Valyrian with a Ghiscari accent.

You sort of summed up my reaction. I was actually shaking when the credits came on. And the High Valyrian was epic. I want to learn it.

I was actually shaking aswell and the music was beyond amazing and just THEY NAILED THIS SCENE.

Oh man, I could listen to High Valyrian all day.

It was a combination of this scene and the dragon hatching scene that made me like Daenerys. Such badass, amazing, powerful scenes. :bowdown:

Both made even better by music... anyone else notice how this scene had that awesome "Finale" version of the main theme from the dragon hatching scene, but with chanting added that made it a bit darker?

Yeah I noticed that. Was that Dany speaking proper Valyrian?

It was proper High Valyrian, yes. You should read David Peterson's blog (dothraki.com) - everyone should! It will get you excited about friggin declensions. One fascinating thing is that Dany uses the Ghiscari word for slave, buzdari, but the High Valyrian word for slave is dohaeriros, because she wanted Kraznys and the slavers to understand her. Read more here.

Archived