[Book spoilers] Dracarys!

Why? Because you lose less men. Locking shields with your group ensured quick and easy kills. Just like today's tactics employ movement with covering fire, in which you'd be an idiot to go running out without it, when fighting with spear and shield against men with swords, you're an idiot if you don't lock shields with your squad or section, even if you are only one rank deep.

Soldiers aren't Knights, soldiering is work. It's hard and dangerous work. When you risk your own life unduly you weaken your own forces. Knights fight to win glory and honours while soldiers fight for the men beside them and because it's their job.

You know the saw about there being old soldiers and bold soldiers? You wouldn't get to be an old soldier by not fighting in formation.

From both the show and the books, these are supposed to be Unsullied, who's lives are about discipline and obedience. They've lived lives that sound like they should be able to give Spartans a run for their money. I can't imagine why they wouldn't fight in a formation even if their groups were only 3 men strong. It would be unnatural not to lock shields.

To me, it looked like they chose not to hold formation, since they were THAT numerically superior. And it looked like they were actually surrounding their opponents, thus using a different tactic. I don't think it would have been so hard to tell them "hey lads, in this scene you will kill everyone, while locking shields", so i think it was a deliberate choice.

To everyone:

Sure, sorry but no. I refuse to believe that any slaver could be so willfully blind to the idea that a buyer, particularly one from outside the regular paradigm, would ever try to cross them. It defies my suspension of belief.

Like I said, I'm totally willing to buy into the idea that they wouldn't understand a dragon can't be sold. I'm also willing to buy the idea that they underestimate Dany (they clearly do). And, sure, I'm willing to buy that Unsullied can't be trained to NOT obey whatever order their master gives me. And of course I'm willing to buy that they would do just about anything for a dragon.

What I'm not willing to buy is that would not always have enough other soldiers/slave soldiers on hand to properly defend the city. As is, its like a gun store owner selling a gun and bullets to someone, and not having a shotgun behind the counter in case the customer gets any ideas.

Gun salesmen usually aren't allowed to sell bullets to someone immediately after or while someone's purchasing a firearm, for that reason.

Pretty sure its suspension of "disbelief" and you are definitely allowed to buy bullets when you buy a gun.......

Pretty much. Scene was cringe worthy.

Would've rather had something that didn't look so poorly executed than the 20 second cgi shot of the dragons and the army at the end.

Maybe you should just stick with Harry Potter

The actors playing the Unsullied clearly weren't very good at fighting that way. Training a group (of extras?) to do well enough for one scene appears to have been beyond them, perhaps for budget or time constraints. How could they do the rest of the city?

I was thinking just a few shots of them running down alleyways and putting down slavers / freeing slaves from houses, in accordance with Dany's orders. Don't think it had to be much.

every fight scene, i just tell myself. "there are ten times as much of everything going on right now"

bottom line is hbo is too cheap to do some stuff right

Are you serious? Their special effects are amazing, and they film ON LOCATION which certainly does not ring as "cheap" to me. They put their budget in the right place. They're not "too cheap".

I was thinking just a few shots of them running down alleyways and putting down slavers / freeing slaves from houses, in accordance with Dany's orders. Don't think it had to be much.

The scene was great, if somewhat white-washed. To be true to the book, the Unsullied would have been putting 12 year old boys to the sword, along with most of the adult males in the city.

Fixing Crows and Dragons is the biggest mystery , if they get to season 5.

George has the rest of this year and all of next to finish Winds and I am thinking S5 is going to be heavily dependent on Winds.

If season 3 and 4 will primarily consist of the events in Storm of Swords (which has been confirmed), how in the world would season 5 depend on Winds of Winter? More likely, Winds of Winters plot lines won't come into affect until season 7. I fully expect Seasons 5 and 6 to portray Feast and Dance simultaneously.

As long as people keep watching, this series will likely run for 10 seasons at least.

If I had to make a guess...

1 = book 1

2 = book 2

3 = book 3

4 = book 3

5 = books 4 and 5

6 = books 4 and 5

7 = Books 5 and 6

8 = Book 6

9 = Book 6 and 7

10 = Book 7

Are you serious? Their special effects are amazing, and they film ON LOCATION which certainly does not ring as "cheap" to me. They put their budget in the right place. They're not "too cheap".

oh i do think that they do a good job of using what money they have. hbo should just be giving them more money. in their first seasons, the vikings used 2/3rds as much money as game of thrones. and got is a much more watched, talked about and liked, show. they should be giving them more money to work with.

that way they could have battle scenes that looked realistic. even the blackwater, by far the best of their efforts, looked like 30 guys storming a castle. the sets are often incredible and im glad the money is going there, but frequently, they need more extras, more actors, and really more choreography.

If season 3 and 4 will primarily consist of the events in Storm of Swords (which has been confirmed), how in the world would season 5 depend on Winds of Winter? More likely, Winds of Winters plot lines won't come into affect until season 7. I fully expect Seasons 5 and 6 to portray Feast and Dance simultaneously.

As long as people keep watching, this series will likely run for 10 seasons at least.

If I had to make a guess...

1 = book 1

2 = book 2

3 = book 3

4 = book 3

5 = books 4 and 5

6 = books 4 and 5

7 = Books 5 and 6

8 = Book 6

9 = Book 6 and 7

10 = Book 7

more realistically

1 got

2 cok

3 sos

4 sos with a bit of ffc

5 ff/dwd

6 ff/dwd/wow

7 wow

8 finale, not based on a book at all

winds of winter will likely not be out by the time season 7 but a good chunk of it will be done, allowing them to use it

I don't think anyone is suggesting Season 5 content will have significant TWOW material. Rather, D+D knowing what GRRM plans for some of the characters would presumably affect how the show either portrays and/or changes the storyline for certain characters. It's a bit of the butterfly effect. IE., you can't kill of character X in season 5 if it turns out that they will play a crucial role not easily substituted by another character by the time TWOW rolls around.

more realistically

1 got

2 cok

3 sos

4 sos with a bit of ffc

5 ff/dwd

6 ff/dwd/wow

7 wow

8 finale, not based on a book at all

winds of winter will likely not be out by the time season 7 but a good chunk of it will be done, allowing them to use it

In an age where studios break up a very simplistic book like The Hobbit into three separate 2+ hour movies, you really think they won't try to stretch out this series as long as possible? Plus, I'm sure Martin won't want his ending spoiled by the show. Stretching it out to 10 years will not only give the adaptation more time to squeeze in all of the good details, but it would also give GRRM plenty of time to release the next two books. Well, as long as he releases each within the next 6 or 7 years. He's already had a couple years to work on Wind, so here's hoping he can pull it off.

Personally, I think 10 years for the whole of the series would be perfect. Anything short of that will likely result in a lot of cut/rushed story lines.

I'm really surprised people are actually complaining about THIS scene and I'm all for criticism! But this scene was spectacular, truly one of the best scenes in the whole show and one of my favourite moments of television ever; I can't even describe my reaction watching it.

In an age where studios break up a very simplistic book like The Hobbit into three separate 2+ hour movies, you really think they won't try to stretch out this series as long as possible? Plus, I'm sure Martin won't want his ending spoiled by the show. Stretching it out to 10 years will not only give the adaptation more time to squeeze in all of the good details, but it would also give GRRM plenty of time to release the next two books. Well, as long as he releases each within the next 6 or 7 years. He's already had a couple years to work on Wind, so here's hoping he can pull it off.

Personally, I think 10 years for the whole of the series would be perfect. Anything short of that will likely result in a lot of cut/rushed story lines.

Who's to say he'll live that long to finish the books :bang:

Archived