[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 6 Preview

GeorgeIAF

You have no idea.

No. I declare myself ignorant and clueless on the matter. Now, can someone tell me what the hell is going on?

Spoiler
I didn't really think that Ros could be Dontos'd. If she disappeared at the same time that Sansa did, just after the PW, people in KL (Varys, Tyrion... etc) would have put two and two together since Ros is too linked to LF. But neither did I expect her to go away this soon (even though it makes sense) I never started to dislike her until the end of the last season when she decided to spy on LF (I guess that was when she signed her death sentence)

WTF??! that is... rather.... wow. How exactly?.. I don't even know what to say. Can someone show me the pics?

Oh, come on, guys. Some of us think spoilers are part of the fun. I for one was thinking this ep was going to be rather dull - the climb does nothing for me as I find Jon's scene's on the show rather blah - but now I'm looking forward to see how this twist is set up.

Well, we're not really avoiding talking about it. We're just giving people the opportunity to not see it if they don't want to. This is a thread labeled BOOK spoilers, not show spoilers. And this is definitely something I wish I hadn't been spoiled for.

It's better than a certain other doctor who forum I used to go on, where the attitude towards spoilers tends to waver between entitlement and bullying of people who choose not to reveal everything they know.

You didn't before? I'm honestly surprised.

Before I just thought they were clumsy storytellers and people I probably wouldn't get on with.

ETA: How is it possible to take this scene "out of context"?!

It's a sexworker being killed for no reason whatsoever. It doesn't reveal anything new about Joffrey, and therefore it doesn't advance the plot. It's the very definition of gratuitous.

Well, we're not really avoiding talking about it. We're just giving people the opportunity to not see it if they don't want to. This is a thread labeled BOOK spoilers, not show spoilers. And this is definitely something I wish I hadn't been spoiled for.

It's better than a certain other doctor who forum I used to go on, where the attitude towards spoilers tends to waver between entitlement and bullying of people who choose not to reveal everything they know.

If you've been spoiled then it's because you clicked a spoiler tag, you've only got yourself to blame. People have been very careful to tag everything.

Before I just thought they were clumsy storytellers and people I probably wouldn't get on with.

It's a sexworker being killed for no reason whatsoever. It doesn't reveal anything new about Joffrey, and therefore it doesn't advance the plot. It's the very definition of gratuitous.

Without having seen the scene you have no way of knowing whether it advances the plot or not. Just off the top of my head, it could be a precursor to the Tyrells abandoning hope of guiding Joffrey and starting planning on the PW, a way for LF to tie up loose ends. The point is, without having seen the episode, you cannot declare that it has not point

I'm so angry.

D&D are, once again, treating female characters like disposable objects. And worse - we're getting more gratuitous torture of a sexworker.

I can now say that I honestly hate D&D.

I don't understand this. I find this show one of the least sexist around, with female characters well fleshed out who are free to be good, brave, selfish, stupid and everything else male characters are allowed to be. It's brutal, yes, but if you think about it that's the whole point. Ros came to KL hoping to improve her life and she's repaid in the most cruel way. Because life sucks. Isn't that what the books have been telling us all along with Ned, Cat and Robb dying? With Arya being close to find her family only to have everything slipping through her fingers? I don't see what it has to do with "women being treated as disposable objects"

Well...

It does tie up a loose end in LF's story - but it is only a loose end because D&D put it there in the first place

It does focus 'evil villain' back on Joffrey and takes it off 'Boy' a bit...

But yeah... the whole 'Ros' thing was a shambles from the start. Shoddily created, shoddily developed and shoddily removed.

I'm so angry.

D&D are, once again, treating female characters like disposable objects. And worse - we're getting more gratuitous torture of a sexworker.

It wouldn't be a week in the life of the show without you going completely overboard and overreacting to something that you don't fully understand. I was wondering where you were....

Honestly, just stop posting and hit up tumblr with all the other crazies... Better yet, it sounds like you just need to stop watching the show.

Whatever it is sounds crazy, dang. I'm glad I didn't click on the rest of those pictures now. This is a good way to get pumped for the new episode in any case.

And yeah, agreed with Sun - unless I've overlooked a blatant post everyone's been very careful with spoiler tags. (Thanks you guys for that~) but I'll probably duck out of this thread now just to be safe

Well you often say how much you hate Ros so I'd have thought that you'd be delighted about this.

You don't know if it doesn't advance the plot, you haven't seen the episode. As for the sexism complaints that seem to prevail amongst your thoughts, it's getting quite tiresome. There's no need to take such offence every time there's a bit of female exploitation in the show; it reflects the society that the show is set in. Women are mistreated all the time in the novels and yet you never complain that Martin is sexist. Honestly, it wouldn't be a week in the run of the show without you needlessly taking something to heart.

I'm so angry.

She's being treated as disposable because she's an invented character and the only major(ish) character who they can do whatever they want with. Did you complain about them killing off the Spice King? Because it looks like a very similar situation except for the fact that we know Ros a lot better. I can't say I agree with the placement of her death, imo it will feel messy to introduce Dontos now, but the only misogyny it represents it Joffrey's.

Without having seen the scene you have no way of knowing whether it advances the plot or not. Just off the top of my head, it could be a precursor to the Tyrells abandoning hope of guiding Joffrey and starting planning on the PW, a way for LF to tie up loose ends. The point is, without having seen the episode, you cannot declare that it has not point

Those things could be achieved without this scene though. That's my point.

So, even if there is a way that this scene is relevant, it's still unnecessary. But I have no doubt it will end up just like the scene last season where Joffrey abused the sexworkers, which was casually referenced a couple of times without having any impact on the plot.

I don't understand this. I find this show one of the least sexist around, with female characters well fleshed out who are free to be good, brave, selfish, stupid and everything else male characters are allowed to be. It's brutal, yes, but if you think about it that's the whole point. Ros came to KL hoping to improve her life and she's repaid in the most cruel way. Because life sucks. Isn't that what the books have been telling us all along with Ned, Cat and Robb dying? With Arya being close to find her family only to have everything slipping through her fingers? I don't see what it has to do with "women being treated as disposable objects"

There is a huge variety of female characters, you're right, but they're not as well-written as their book counterparts and are sometimes sidelined to expand on male characters (Cersei and Catelyn specifically, although the same is true of Sansa).

But the show shows absolutely no respect for women. Female nudity is shown through the male gaze, sexworkers are treated like objects to be used and disposed, etc.

It wouldn't be a week in the life of the show without you going completely overboard and overreacting to something that you don't fully understand. I was wondering where you were....

Honestly, just stop posting and hit up tumblr with all the other crazies... Better yet, it sounds like you just need to stop watching the show.

Stop watching the show? Hahahaha, no way. I'll keep watching and complaining vocally every week.

It sounds like you (and a few others) just need to stop reading my posts.

I "don't fully understand"? LMAO. I know far more about sexual violence, violence against women and the male gaze than you do. So it's you who doesn't "fully understand" why this is such a huge issue for the show.

Those things could be achieved without this scene though. That's my point.

So, even if there is a way that this scene is relevant, it's still unnecessary. But I have no doubt it will end up just like the scene last season where Joffrey abused the sexworkers, which was casually referenced a couple of times without having any impact on the plot.

There is a huge variety of female characters, you're right, but they're not as well-written as their book counterparts and are sometimes sidelined to expand on male characters (Cersei and Catelyn specifically, although the same is true of Sansa).

But the show shows absolutely no respect for women. Female nudity is shown through the male gaze, sexworkers are treated like objects to be used and disposed, etc.

Stop watching the show? Hahahaha, no way. I'll keep watching and complaining vocally every week.

It sounds like you (and a few others) just need to stop reading my posts.

I "don't fully understand"? LMAO. I know far more about sexual violence, violence against women and the male gaze than you do. So it's you who doesn't "fully understand" why this is such a huge issue for the show.

Aren't sexworkers SUPPOSED to be just objects, though?

If you've been spoiled then it's because you clicked a spoiler tag, you've only got yourself to blame. People have been very careful to tag everything.

That's my point, though. I am solely responsible for getting it spoiled. People should have the choice of if they see it or not.

And I meant I wish I hadn't been spoiled because the scene will be different now, not so much because I ruined the surprise. It's just different.

Archived