Football XLI - The end of an era

baxus

I really hope it's Mourinho, but it's probably not going to be. What do the Everton fans in here think? Martinez seems to be someone who quite a few fans don't seem to want at all. I suppose his teams don't really do anything until the latter half of the season, but that could also be because he tends to lose some of his best players ( Think Moses moved last summer? Can't be sure) Rene Girard was in the papers a few weeks ago saying he wants to manage in the PL, but I have no idea if he would be a good fit for Everton given that I know so little about him. Ah, if only Harry Redknapp could take over. That would be terrific.

The large contingent of Everton fans here (me, myself and I, AFAIK) are saddened by the news. The point I made upthread about it being extremely difficult to take over after Fergie and keep the fans happy? Applies to us too.

We'd have to find someone willing to work on a budget, but with expectations that we should challenge for Europe. After all, that's where Moyes has been, even if he rarely succeded (two EL campaigns and a missed CL opportunity is what he brought). We're somewhere around 10th in the wage league, wages are a too large part of our turnover, and we have the smallest squad in the PL. And we have been 5th to 8th the last 8 seasons or so. To keep that going, we need a brilliant manager.

I fear for next season.

It seems like Moyes is a cert, almost. I'm a bit surprised. I'm not sure how he'll cope being at a very top club. Surprised someone like Klopp wasn't considered. Hoping it won't be Mourinho. As for Moyes, I think it'll either go really well or tits up fairly quickly. There's going to be a fucking immense amount of pressure and scrutiny on him and anything less than winning the league will probably cause a witch hunt. If he buys well (Bring in Fella, baines?) though he'll have a strong squad.

I think Everton have a few options. Martinez isn't a bad shout, someone like Poyet might work as he's done wonders at Brighton imo. And as I said Di Matteo is out of work and a good option.

My mate at work had to leave early today because of a 'family emergency'. Just text me to say there wasn't really one, he's just really cut up about Ferguson leaving.

How embarrassing.

Di Matteo did well at Chelsea last season, haven't seen him work w/ a budget yet. Martinez is too closely associated with Wigan and relegation threats for me - that was us in the 90's.

Who else is there? O'Neill? No way. Hughes? Ditto.

Hmmm. Can't seem to quote from the old, locked thread, but you will just have to trust that I said this on November 23rd, 2012:

As for Moyes: I personally think he'll end up at United, and that this has already been secretly agreed between all parties. I think Ferguson will surprise us all and quit at the end of this season.

/Kreskin.

If Moyes is appointed manager of Man U does that mean the end of Wayne Rooney? After all didnt Rooney sue Moyes over comments in Moyes' book a few years back? If Rooney stays that will make for an interesting relationship

Hmmm. Can't seem to quote from the old, locked thread, but you will just have to trust that I said this on November 23rd, 2012:

As for Moyes: I personally think he'll end up at United, and that this has already been secretly agreed between all parties. I think Ferguson will surprise us all and quit at the end of this season.

/Kreskin.

You still make me sad

If Moyes is appointed manager of Man U does that mean the end of Wayne Rooney? After all didnt Rooney sue Moyes over comments in Moyes' book a few years back? If Rooney stays that will make for an interesting relationship

The other way around. Moyes sued Rooney, who had to edit his book a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes took Phil Neville (as assistant), Fellaini and Baines with him to OT. If he does though, I really worry for Everton next season. I think they would look to either Martinez or Poyet as their best options, but with the heart torn out of their team they might well struggle.

If that happens, Liverpool would be laughing. Periods of upheaval for both their rivals? It would be like Christmas come early.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes took Phil Neville (as assistant), Fellaini and Baines with him to OT.

Think Neville has stated he wants to keep playing for a few more years. That was his reason for not signing a new contract with Everton - he knew he'd be a bit-part player, and he didn't want it.

Of course, that could be a smoke screen to make his exit and return to OT easier.. :dunno:

I think if Moyes was going to appoint an assistant from the OT fold, there are three more likely options that Neville, P. - Giggs, Solskjaer and Neville, G.

If that happens, Liverpool would be laughing. Periods of upheaval for both their rivals? It would be like Christmas come early.

That was my selfish first thought. Our two biggest rivals are being weakened at the manager level even if Everton retain all their players. It would especially be a pity to see Baines go to ManU. I wish Liverpool could prise him away in the wake of Moyes departure.

If Wenger leaves Arsenal too and Bale leaves Spurs, then we could have a much easier path back to the top 4. It could also set up Mourinho for a PL title in his return season at Chelsea.

Mourinho to Manu would be even better in the long run. They'd probably win a lot with him for three years but then spend a decade or two rebuilding.

Moyes seems to offer some of the personality and man-management attributes of Ferguson, but far less evidence of tactical nous, dealing with high expectations, playing in Europe or sustaining consistency sufficient to win a title. The budget limitations from Everton have also provided a safe zone of low expectations, fewer big egos in their squad (although I think he manages that well), straightforward tactics play to limited strengths and very few games against Barca/RM/Bayern/etc. It will be interesting to watch him come to grips with this, and the (im)patience of the fans. Liverpool have been wandering in the desert of transition for almost 25 years.

I think if Moyes was going to appoint an assistant from the OT fold, there are three more likely options that Neville, P. - Giggs, Solskjaer and Neville, G.

I think Solskjær would regard that as a step down. He's not gunning to be an assistant, he's going for manager (though not at OT at this time). The other two - yeah, I'd say they would be more likely.

Archived