Football XLI - The end of an era

baxus

They're calling themselves a firm? How embarrassing.

Green Street is not an instructional film...

Yep, it's dumb. Unfortunately we have a few groups like that who think patterning themselves after all that is a good idea. San Jose's 1906 Ultras think they're a bunch of fucking tough guys too; I personally know someone who called their bluff and, hilariously, they ran away, which is what I was referring to earlier in that post.

Neither group really deserves the time of day.

Like I said it doesn't require a boatload of effort and PEDs to make very good strength gains, especially for a beginner. Add to that that he is a pro athlete with access to personal nutritionists, top equipment etc and he plays a sport that is not highly physically confrontational and in which a high percentage of players don't ever bother improving their physical strength.

You're right that Bale's physique doesn't require PEDs, but given your other point, it's sort of irrelevant, right? If athletes usually use PEDs to recover from injury rather than add strength or bulk, then Bale is just as likely as any player to have juiced. More, probably, due to his high number of minutes.

You're right that Bale's physique doesn't require PEDs, but given your other point, it's sort of irrelevant, right? If athletes usually use PEDs to recover from injury rather than add strength or bulk, then Bale is just as likely as any player to have juiced. More, probably, due to his high number of minutes.

Yeah I guess, no one can have no idea who is using what to be honest I was just stating that Bale's strength increase are nothing out of the norm so to shout PEDs in this case was a bit silly :)

Yep, it's dumb. Unfortunately we have a few groups like that who think patterning themselves after all that is a good idea. San Jose's 1906 Ultras think they're a bunch of fucking tough guys too; I personally know someone who called their bluff and, hilariously, they ran away, which is what I was referring to earlier in that post.

Neither group really deserves the time of day.

I'd like to see what they thought of a real 80's 'firm' from some boozer in the depths of bermondsey.

Bunch of jokers.

I don't mind Johnson, but he still doesn't quite have the cadence yet. He's only been calling footy games for, what, a year? He'll likely improve as he gets more experience.

He's actually only been doing it for about two months, I think. The Real Madrid - Manchester Utd Champions League game was his first (in February).

Hmm, looking into it, I think that he did some Earthquakes' games over the radio last year also. But I think one of the things that'll really inform his voice (other than listening to other commentators, which I hope he does) is being in the booth with someone who has a decent understanding of the game - which I doubt he got doing radio for 'Quakes away games.

Yeah, Ian Wright is dreadful. All opinion, no knowledge. The only thing I can give him credit for, as a pundit, is that he's not Stan Collymore.

The utterly laughable inversion of his opinions about a subject depending on whether or not his sons are involved is something to see, though (essentially, any player who leaves a club for a more ambitious/richer one is a horrible backstabbing no-loyalty bastard, unless his surname is Wright-Phillips, in which case how dare Manchester City hold back his development by not letting him go to Chelsea or whichever club they happen to be trying to wrangle moves between? Doubly pathetic because stabbing QPR in the back for Arsenal the first chance he got after they took a gamble on him is exactly what he did himself).

Whenever the BBC's pundits piss me off too much (and seriously, you sack Colin Murray, the only person in your sports coverage with anything remotely interesting to say and replace him with Mark fecking Chapman ... ), I just try and remember that they are still literally the best that there's available out there. Why is football punditry reserved for idiot journalists and those ex-footballers with the most boring personalities?

The thing about the BBC's pundits is that some of them, at least, are perfectly capable of doing better. Stick Alan Hansen on a panel with Martin Keown and you get some interesting discussion and analysis from him. Sit him next to Alan Shearer and you get lazy banality all round. You probably can't expect better from Shearer than 'well, what he's done there is run into the space and just knocked it past the 'keeper, and he'll be pleased with that'. But that's no excuse for Hansen 'phoning it in. The odd sneer when Shearer disagrees with him on a penalty claim is about as interesting as it gets.

I just try and remember that they are still literally the best that there's available out there. Why is football punditry reserved for idiot journalists and those ex-footballers with the most boring personalities?

To be fair, Sky have, for now, scooped a winner with Gary Neville. Time will tell how he goes as his playing career fades into the past, but he does provide actual insight and stuff, especially on Monday Night Football.

What kind of testing procedures do football federations have? Pharmaceutical enhancements have been (IMO rightly, but not trying to start an argument) demonized in the major US sports. Is there such official stigma/witch-hunting in European federations?

Archived