Football XLI - The end of an era

baxus

A sad day. Whatever you might think of him personally, Fergie was the greatest manager in British football history, possibly the best anywhere ever.

As a Liverpool supporter I am pleased to see him go. Although, if they get Mourinho my pleasure will turn to despair which I'm fairly used to, being a Liverpool supporter and all.

I wouldn't even be that fussed if they got Mourinho. He's a good manager so he'd probably win some things in the short term but he's toxic so there's no way he'd build the structure for any long term success.

Fair play to Fergie he's a great manager but I'm relieved he's retired as it's undoubtedly going to weaken United, hopefully significantly.

For maximum comedy they should hint to Mourinho he's got it, then when he publicly sacks Chelsea off, give the job to Moyes.

Mourinho = Odemwingie.

Bad news for United. While it is possible to find a replacement who will keep them at the top constantly, it's difficult. Most likely they'll hire someone who'll not be able to live up to Fergie's standards, and we'll get unstability and worse results. I like that part..

That Moyes is concidered saddens me. I'd like to keep him

who is rumoured to be his replacement?

moyes and mourinho have been mentioned already... anyone else?

which great manager is even available this summer?

also, i think utd would go for a younger manager (in his fourties) to try and replicate fergies 27 years stretch of stability.

who would fit that description?

Mark Hughes. Please, God, Mark Hughes. Finally a team which matches his ambition.

Edit: I hear Rafa will be looking for a gig in the Summer as well.

also, i think utd would go for a younger manager (in his fourties) to try and replicate fergies 27 years stretch of stability.

who would fit that description?

Moyes does seem likely. He just turned 50. He's also a Scot. Is considered to have done well with Everton.

Does he have what it takes to manage United. Who knows.

Who would I have liked? Guardiola, but he's gone for something else already.

No Mourinho please.

I understand Roberto Mancini has been making furious calls with his manager, as he was eager to make that step up. Like Benitez, he will not be considered.

Moyes and Mourinho are the favourites because whoever gets the gig will have to work with Fergie's shadow hanging over them: anyone who doesn't get on with Fergie, will not be in the frame.

I was just about to suggest Jurgen Klopp, although my money would be on Moyes. Whoever gets it will have a virtually impossible task, even with United's riches and current squad.

Fergie's achieved a lot and you can't help but respect him for that, but I also can't help but wonder if United will become more likeable after he has gone.

just to point out, i've edited the thread title.

it seemed fitting, with the talk of barca's era ending and especially with ferguson retiring.

we will finish this thread in time for the champions league final so the next one should be about zee germans ;)

on topic of fergie's successor, i don't think either benitez or mancini would ever get position, or even get considered.

i think ancelotti would be a good choice, but he's at psg at the moment, it is rumoured that he'll go to real madrid in the summer so i doubt there would be much chance of that.

moyes didn't come to mind until you guys mentioned him and then he seemed like such a perfect fit.

Archived