Football XLI - The end of an era

baxus

Was amused by Luiz's evil smile as he lay on the floor after goading Rafael into kicking him , then I became afraid of some Fergie Time antics. ..

The reaction by Man United fans has been hilarious (that I've read else where). Think that win was a needed one. Shouldn't lose to Spurs at home - and I think with our superior goal difference it might be enough.

The Everton/Liverpool game was fucking dull, too. Pity Everton had their goal denied.

The reaction by Man United fans has been hilarious (that I've read else where). Think that win was a needed one. Shouldn't lose to Spurs at home - and I think with our superior goal difference it might be enough.

The Everton/Liverpool game was fucking dull, too. Pity Everton had their goal denied.

Fergie had this weird spiel about them damn foreigners and South Americans and their diving, I lol'd. Rafael kicked out right in front of the assistant, whether Luiz was happy that he got someone in trouble or not is besides the point.

Am I the only one coming increasingly to the conclusion that playing Bale is somehow cheating?

Well as Alex Ferguson remarked over the weekend, he was a gangly streak of piss who got knocked over all the time and then suddenly came back looking like a light heavyweight boxer.

Something isn't quite right, but apparently there are no PED/steroid problems in football so I'm sure its nothing.

yeah, and ferguson is the one to talk of steroids in football.

i mean, it's not as if his player avoided doping tests, which resulted in an 8 month ban for the player.

Well as Alex Ferguson remarked over the weekend, he was a gangly streak of piss who got knocked over all the time and then suddenly came back looking like a light heavyweight boxer.

Something isn't quite right, but apparently there are no PED/steroid problems in football so I'm sure its nothing.

Lol is this a joke? Bale is still small. It doesn't take a lot of effort to gain some muscle/strength especially if you have never trained for it before.

I'm sure there is a lot of PED use in football but Gareth Bale would be the last person I would look at.

Lol is this a joke? Bale is still small. It doesn't take a lot of effort to gain some muscle/strength especially if you have never trained for it before.

I'm sure there is a lot of PED use in football but Gareth Bale would be the last person I would look at.

which footballers do you think are juicing?

Sheffield United have failed to be promoted via the playoffs. Again. Well done, Yeovil... though I'm not sure where they'll play if they get promoted, as only two of Huish Park's four stands are all-seater.

Compared to whom? Arnold Schwarzenegger? Jon Jones? Gareth Bale isn't a bodybuilder or world's strongest man contestant or NFL linebacker. He's an athlete who probably runs more than 10km every day.

which footballers do you think are juicing?

Probably a lot mate. For some reason the general public seems to think that PEDs and steroids in particular are primarily for size/strength gains, which is a misinformed opinion. One of the main benefits of testosterone is your recovery from training is greatly enhanced which would obviously be a big boost to footballers playing 50+ games a year.

The Scottish player of the year was arrested for assault in a nightclub shortly after winning his award.

Since one of his fellow nominees is awaiting trial for shoplifting, it's now clear where the Celtic players were making their mistake. A quick brush with the law is obviously the short-cut to the Player of the Year shortlist in our fine nation. ;)

Compared to whom? Arnold Schwarzenegger? Jon Jones? Gareth Bale isn't a bodybuilder or world's strongest man contestant or NFL linebacker. He's an athlete who probably runs more than 10km every day.

I have no idea why my original response was deleted but Gareth Bale is about 170lbs I would guess at 6 foot odd. That's not big by any standards.

I have no idea why my original response was deleted but Gareth Bale is about 170lbs I would guess at 6 foot odd. That's not big by any standards.

6'1 and 178lbs, and yes, that is fairly big for a soccer player. It's quite unusual to see a player weigh more than 170-180lbs.

And the original point was not that he was 'big', anyway, it was how he seems to be able to resist physical confrontations now.

Today in MLS supporters' news:

Minor Houston Dynamo supporters' group the Brickwall Firm -- yes, it's a stupid name chosen by people who desperately want to be 1980s European football hooligans -- have gotten themselves more than they bargained for with this tweet:

Donovan is a faggot.  Brickwall don't give a shit about PC.

https://twitter.com/Brickwall_Firm/status/331248575608664064

Which rather calls to mind Stewart Lee's famous diatribe against, well, exactly these sort of people.

Faced with widespread negative reactions to their dumbshit antics, they appear to have doubled down with this tweet, and also attempted to invoke Louis CK in their defense:

https://t.co/Fc4tg4j9hL. For the record, Brickwall loves homosexuals...but hate faggots. If that offends you, you're probably a faggot.

https://twitter.com/Brickwall_Firm/status/331425800719052802

The rest are having none of it, of course. FO action is likely, at minimum an official de-sanctioning of the SG. Which will probably just make these dipshits feel like martyrs.

The San Jose Earthquakes, historically the gigantic assholes of the league,* have a new supporters' group, The Faultline. They are apparently optimistic that they can drop fewer outright slurs, assault fewer opposing supporters, and maybe not run away quite so fast when faced with someone who won't take their shit. Even if they manage it, they'll still be supporting the most loathsome side in the league.

* Coincidentally, Houston are pretty much the original Quakes. The former Sa Jose team moved to Houston and rebranded themselves. The current Quakes are version 2.0.

6'1 and 178lbs, and yes, that is fairly big for a soccer player. It's quite unusual to see a player weigh more than 170-180lbs.

And the original point was not that he was 'big', anyway, it was how he seems to be able to resist physical confrontations now.

Like I said it doesn't require a boatload of effort and PEDs to make very good strength gains, especially for a beginner. Add to that that he is a pro athlete with access to personal nutritionists, top equipment etc and he plays a sport that is not highly physically confrontational and in which a high percentage of players don't ever bother improving their physical strength.

Today in MLS supporters' news:

Minor Houston Dynamo supporters' group the Brickwall Firm -- yes, it's a stupid name chosen by people who desperately want to be 1980s European football hooligans -- have gotten themselves more than they bargained for with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Brickwall_Firm/status/331248575608664064

Which rather calls to mind Stewart Lee's famous diatribe against, well, exactly these sort of people.

Faced with widespread negative reactions to their dumbshit antics, they appear to have doubled down with this tweet, and also attempted to invoke Louis CK in their defense:

https://twitter.com/Brickwall_Firm/status/331425800719052802

The rest are having none of it, of course. FO action is likely, at minimum an official de-sanctioning of the SG. Which will probably just make these dipshits feel like martyrs.

The San Jose Earthquakes, historically the gigantic assholes of the league,* have a new supporters' group, The Faultline. They are apparently optimistic that they can drop fewer outright slurs, assault fewer opposing supporters, and maybe not run away quite so fast when faced with someone who won't take their shit. Even if they manage it, they'll still be supporting the most loathsome side in the league.

* Coincidentally, Houston are pretty much the original Quakes. The former Sa Jose team moved to Houston and rebranded themselves. The current Quakes are version 2.0.

They're calling themselves a firm? How embarrassing.

Green Street is not an instructional film...

Archived