[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

Like the way the tv show made LF such a badass. The guy is terrific. And frightening. He said to Ros in season he sold one of his "girls" to a customer who enjoyed killing. And his way to say to Varys "haha ya got me now i got you..."

But Ros was a charming character.

And once again, Varys and LF have proven they are not the great schemers they're in the book.

And it proves in a rough way that Joff is probably not able to have a decent, regular sexual intercourse with a woman.

OK he's infatuated with his crossbow...

Woah woah woah eyyyyyyyy, did you just disrespect the bing?!

Yeah, I'm going to half to wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment. After writing many papers on The Sopranos and re-watching the series 10+ times, I can safely say that The Sopranos is above and beyond what D&D will ever be able to achieve with GoT, and very rarely, if ever, did they resort to adding in tits for no real purpose.

The Bing was a perfect place with Sil running it, and sorry - but the girls weren't even overly sexualized in these scenes. They were typically in the backdrop and fuzzy. Sure, we saw them once in awhile - but so what? Mobsters frequent strip clubs. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're being gratuitous In fact, I always felt like 'University,' the episode where Ralphie beat the stripper to death was a sad tribute to exotic dancers. I had chills during the ending scene when they played 'Living on a Thin Line' while showing the dancers on the floor in the Bing as the credits started to roll and fade to black. It actually felt respectful toward women and very poignant. Yes, respectful toward women even after a main character beat a pregnant dancer to death carrying HIS son. That was such a powerful and heartbreaking episode that it justified the entire existence of The Bing without a doubt.

Not to mention, The Sopranos is far too talky and slow-moving to watch for just the tits. There's not enough to justify 6 seasons of watching it, that's for sure. That's idiotic. I definitely don't think there was any nudity quota there, it's not David Chase's style to be told what to do. He wouldn't demean his show to that. It's glaringly obvious and very cheap when it's done, and The Sopranos is above that. GoT on the other hand, it does seem like they have a huge nudity quota - but maybe that's a show decision, not an HBO one.

I liked the character when she was in the north, and enjoyed the joke that she was the pretty girl whom everyone who visited the one brothel in a small town remembered. It was her magically fast journey to Kings Landing and her getting employed by Littlefinger at the very point of the story when we should be realising how big the scale of the series is that bothered me, and her being background to Littlefinger's endless monologues didn't help. I did however think they were doing a better job with her this season and even quite enjoyed her scenes with Varys, I'm not sad she is out of the series but for the character's sake I'm sad about the way she died.

I get that the producers liked the actress - I did too - but I wish they had gone in the direction of making her a more substancial version of Kyra from the winter town. It would really be paying dividends now because they would have been able to make the Theon plot more interesting by using the Kyra sub-plot described in ADWD.

I was suprisingly sad to see Ros's fate. I sort of grew used to her being around. :(

I wonder though, if this is going to have anything to do with the Queen of Thorns' decision to

....poison Joffrey.

We know the Tyrells know Joffrey's a "monster," per Sansa, but apparently they are making plans to continue manipulating him "after the wedding" Marg tells Sansa she'll convince Joff to let Sansa marry Loras "after the wedding," so apparently the plans to kill him AT the wedding aren't in place yet.

It's quite ironic that one of the worst received episodes on this forum features the death of Ros: one of the worst received characters on this forum.

I'm fine with her demise btw. She was a useful character and I never understood the haters. The only thing that bugs me is that the perpetrator is Joff....again. LF's special client could have remained anonymous as far as I'm concerned.

It's quite ironic that one of the worst received episodes on this forum features the death of Ros: one of the worst received characters on this forum.

I'm fine with her demise btw. She was a useful character and I never understood the haters. The only thing that bugs me is that the perpetrator is Joff....again. LF's special client could have remained anonymous as far as I'm concerned.

It was probably Joffrey in order to be a "wow" moment after the revelation that he has been pulling the strings of the noble houses way more than most of them realize.

His hands are everywhere but leaving no prints

I have to say that I've always had issues with Ros. Not with the actress, she is beautiful and very charismatic. I get that she was a blend of several minor characters and mostly there for character exposition and boobs. I just vivividly remember being incredibly frustrated with a few episodes because they had so much left to cover in so little time and then they threw in a Ros scene and I was like, "Seriously?".

That being said at first I was upset with her demise in this manner. I knew she had to go but I thought she had more of a purpose to serve first, either as Dontos or something along those lines. This felt cheap and rushed. After two and a half seasons I guess I thought she deserved a little more.

After reading this whole thread however I'm more or less convinced that it does work fairly well. As an avid book reader I do sometimes take things like Littlefinger's ruthlessness and Joffrey's crazitude for granted. This was a good reminder for non-book readers and also a shock to readers. I also really like the theory that this is the final straw that leads to the PW and that it shows that even having Tywin in KL hasn't tamed Joffery. I was worried that her character was getting more important this season and rising too quickly and to see that that was intentionaul, in order to see what happens to someone who falls on the way up the ladder, gives me back some faith in the producers. It was actually fairly subtle and well set up.

P

As to why they didn't show her murder, what with the uproar about the nature of her death already, can you imagine the backlash if HBO actually showed a woman being tied up tortured and killed. Esch!

Also, whoever said Talisa next. I concur!

People saying it was playing up to fanservice...thats just gross. How can anyone get that impression? The scene was chilling and i did feel bad for Ros. She DIDNT deserve that. Like i said earlier, i think they wrote themselves into a corner with her and couldnt figure out how to get out of it without something really really dumb.

People saying it was playing up to fanservice...thats just gross. How can anyone get that impression? The scene was chilling and i did feel bad for Ros. She DIDNT deserve that. Like i said earlier, i think they wrote themselves into a corner with her and couldnt figure out how to get out of it without something really really dumb.

Exactly! That IS gross, also saying a lot of people saying it was too sexualised? Ummm. Aint nothing sexy about that scene at all. If anything, the sado-sexual element is what helps make it so chilling, she's even clothed, which shows joff is just a pure sadist. But sexualised fan service? no fucking way. it was a brutal and effective way of showing joff's and LF's true colours. also they just needed to somehow rid themselves of the character, though i always assumed she'd take on dontos' role.

Apparently having Ros help her escape would be a bit more obvious than bringing back the questionably acted fool with seemingly no affiliation to anyone, who has reasons to show gratitude toward Sansa. So it could seem like he's working alone as it did in the books and then bam, out comes Leperchaun Batman rasping away on his boat to scoop Sansa away, just when everyone thought he was out of the picture.

I don't believe *this* event will be the tipping point on which the Tyrells decide to poison Joffery, I have a feeling something hugely sadistic is coming (Even for Joffery's level of sadism) and I have a feeling the Show Marg will be involved.

Exactly! That IS gross, also saying a lot of people saying it was too sexualised? Ummm. Aint nothing sexy about that scene at all. If anything, the sado-sexual element is what helps make it so chilling, she's even clothed, which shows joff is just a pure sadist. But sexualised fan service? no fucking way. it was a brutal and effective way of showing joff's and LF's true colours. also they just needed to somehow rid themselves of the character, though i always assumed she'd take on dontos' role.

Someone said it was oversexualized in the rating the ep thread. :ack: and yes thats the impression i got. Poor Ros. I was just hoping she would vanish from the story once her role was done. Like she would end up sorta the Lollys role, where she marries Bronn or some junk and they leave the story for a while.

The scene is framed from the perspective of the male gaze, so it definitely is sexualised. And completely unnecessary too - we already knew Joffrey and Littlefinger's "true colours".

I really don't get why so many people are jumping on the 'over-sexualized' and 'misogyny' bandwagon so much in this series - I really don't, other than the fact that "Rape Culture" is the new flavor of the year platform for many and it's getting over exaggerated in media examples. I am not dismissing there's definitely a ton of sexual overtones in modern American culture and television - but this show is based on a series of books that were far more brutal and sexual and the author started writing over 20 years ago ... so it's stretching things a bit thin to constantly be raging on about the sexual overtones when that's kinda what the books (and the series) were about - along with brutal war and politics. For this particular series and books, they are adult themed and being shown on an adult pay cable channel. This isn't really something people should be nitpicking to death ... otherwise why are you watching (or reading) this epic saga in the first place if you disagree with the overtones of sex and violence? Sorry, not trying to derail the original topic about poor Ros but it's getting hard to intelligently debate many of the topics on this forum with so much of that 'oversexualized' stuff flying around. As soon as anyone disagrees with it, they're accused of being sexist or crude or wrong somehow. There's way too much sex bashing going on for a series that's heavily rooted in that to begin with from the books.

Archived