[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

Huh. That's a good point. The whole reason Robb refuses to go North is that once he settles that, his men may not want to continue fighting in the south. But now Robb is defining the whole Casterly Rock exercise as a means of... fighting for the North, riverlands be damned?

Sloppy.

Well I guess his strategy is to take Casterly Rock to regain momentum in hopes that the Lannisters will meet his terms? I don't know. I didn't get that exchange at all. Does Robb mean they're not fighting for Harrenhall so sure, no problem, take it Walder Frey?

I'm personally getting tired already of the major and unnecessary changes from the book. Most of the changes don't add anything interesting to the story. This episode in particular seemed to wander so far from the original story that I was getting irritated by it. The writers' rampant need to remove characters from the story because they don't trust their viewers to be able to keep up is ridiculous as well. Unless there's a major shift back to the source material, I may stop watching. I give this particular episode a 4/10. In large part because it wasn't true to the original story, but also because it was boring as hell.

Awful episode. First time I've ever found an episode disappointing. I don't understand why they keep going out of their way to change the canon and over simplify plots yet needlessly drag them out. Nearly everything in the episode was made up and very out of context. I've loved this season so far and I'm very easy to please but this episode was just painful to watch.

The RW is what this season is ultimately building up to but unless we get more emotionally involved with these characters it will lack the impact that Ned's death in season 1 had. The same is going to happen next season when the wildlings forces are smashed at the wall. In ASOS Jon had a huge struggle with his emotions betraying the wildlings when he got to know them and see how just their cause was. So far they are just an invading army that we have no reason to care for.

Okay, I hate nitpicking threads. Hate them. I always think, why cant people just be freaking happy?

This episode has turned me to the darkside.

This episode, all I could think of, was why why why why the fuck is this show making me dislike the Blackfish?

I love him in the books, but in the show, he's just a prick.

He belittles Edmure in their first scene in the show, I realise he's emotional because Hoster is his brother, but he was Edmure's father, and Edmure is, you know, his nephew and all.

And now we have this weeks scene, where for some reason, Brynden Tully is acting like its Edmure's fault Robb broke his vows, like its perfectly reasonable that because Edmure screwed up a chance of killing Gregor Clegane, a landed fucking Knight, not even a Lord, its acceptable to cajole him into being stuck with one of Walder Frey's daughters.

People keep saying the Blackfish is badass, usually citing his punching of Karstark as an example. Karstark was chained. Samwell Tarly could have punched him and had no repercussions.

The show has made the Blackfish a douche.

End Rant.

This episode, all I could think of, was why why why why the fuck is this show making me dislike the Blackfish?

He belittles Edmure in their first scene in the show, I realise he's emotional because Hoster is his brother, but he was Edmure's father, and Edmure is, you know, his nephew and all.

And now we have this weeks scene, where for some reason, Brynden Tully is acting like its Edmure's fault Robb broke his vows, like its perfectly reasonable that because Edmure screwed up a chance of killing Gregor Clegane, a landed fucking Knight, not even a Lord, its acceptable to cajole him into being stuck with one of Walder Frey's daughters.

People keep saying the Blackfish is badass, usually citing his punching of Karstark as an example. Karstark was chained. Samwell Tarly could have punched him and had no repercussions.

End Rant.

You know, I came immensely close to typing out the same thing in this thread but I'm still holding out hope on Edmure and Brynden being painted in a better light.

But seriously, telling Edmure -- the Lord of Riverrun now, lest we forget -- that he will strike him for not going along with Robb's desperate cleanup plans? Pfft.

usually i nit pick with the best of them. usually there is much to pick at besides book deviations.

seems this week all the complaints are that things, big and small, are different.

guess as an episode of television, we finally had an episode that was too good to find genuine complaint with

Okay, I hate nitpicking threads. Hate them. I always think, why cant people just be freaking happy?

This episode has turned me to the darkside.

End Rant.

^This

Basically, what I have grown to dislike about the series as they have unnecessarily made good characters into asses, while whitewashing some of the darker and greyer characters.

You know, I came immensely close to typing out the same thing in this thread but I'm still holding out hope on Edmure and Brynden being painted in a better light.

But seriously, telling Edmure -- the Lord of Riverrun now, lest we forget -- that he will strike him for not going along with Robb's desperate cleanup plans? Pfft.

Exactly, they need to repair the relationship between the two quickly, because what will happen when Jaime comes to finish the Siege of Riverrun?

In the books he sends Edmure in who commands the Blackfish to lift the siege.

The show Blackfish would probably tell Edmure to get fucked, and go stick his head back in Ryman Frey's noose.

And what I dont get is, the Blackfish was in Riverrun during the Battle of the Stone Mill in the show. If he's such a fucking badass genius, why didnt he stop Edmure from screwing up? Why didnt his fist compel Edmure's teeth to not go to the damn mill if it was obviously such a bad idea?

I kind of also think the Blackfish has seemed like a prick on the show, but was he really not a prick in the book?

He was a bit of a prick in the one chapter in the books, but you could tell he loved his family I thought. And he didnt threaten Edmure with violence in the books to compel him to marry. He said something like "far be it from me to tell any man when he should wed".

A big difference to "my fist is about to compel your teeth/face/whatever"

He was a bit of a prick in the one chapter in the books, but you could tell he loved his family I thought. And he didnt threaten Edmure with violence in the books to compel him to marry. He said something like "far be it from me to tell any man when he should wed".

A big difference to "my fist is about to compel your teeth/face/whatever"

That is true. But he was still fairly arrogant IMO and what were the irreconcilable differences between him and Hoster?

That is true. But he was still fairly arrogant IMO and what were the irreconcilable differences between him and Hoster?

Hoster organised a marriage for him, I think maybe a redwyne, and brynden bailed on it. Went to be knight of the gate in the vale instead.

Edit: double post, kooked it

- We don't even know what George R.R. Martin has in mind for Gendry. Now the shows has taken a major departure from the source material. Will Martin change Gendry's story in his future books to fit what happens on the show?-

Supposedly he already has everything all planned out, and I really doubt he would do or change anything to fit the show.

Yes, this is exactly my problem with the show post-season one. It could have been up there with the likes of Breaking Bad et al., but instead the show is starting to feel more like True Blood and The Tudors...

true blood- perfect example of a show where the director took way too many liberties with the source material, and turned it into not just a different animal, but a crappy, different animal. not that charlaine harris is a phenomenal writer or anything, but the books were entertaining enough, the show just got absurd after the first two seasons. I feel, sadly, like thats the direction GoT is heading. next episode = stannis visits the faery night club. I feel like right now the show is unrecognizable from the brilliant masterpiece that was season one. Not to be a purist, but when you have awesome source material....use it!

Saying it's unrecognizable from the books is horribly dramatic hyperbole that shows you have a difficult time controlling your emotions.

In reality some characters are worse than they are in the books, some characters are better, several minor events have changed, but the major storyline is basically the same.

Archived