[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

teemo

I was listing the things I liked in the episode. For this thread, because I do not want to create a new one, where The Others will like everything :P It is more interesting what people, who disliked the episode in general, liked at least a little. You can tell me :D

I did like:

- Everyone in the BwB being smitten with Melisandre

- Catelyn almost turning to stone already

- Rickon had a line

- The misunderstanding of *French* sleeves afterwards

- Brienne (and somewhat Jaime)

:ninja:

They should have at least one Catelyn/Edmure scene before the Red Wedding, to show why he's going to be upset by her murder; so far they're acting as if they barely know each other.

Agreed. Edmure really has had a rough old time of it this season, would be nice if they explored a different aspect of his character instead of perpetually painting him as a disappointment to his family and Robb. Tobias Menzies has been greatly underused; a scene between Edmure and Catelyn would be much appreciated at this point.

I DID like:

-Ramsay the trumpet player

-Jaime and Brienne and Roose

-View from the top of the Wall

-Varys calling the Iron Throne the Lysa Arryn of chairs :lol:

-NO TALISA

The flayed skin that Roose produces in the letter from his son while at the Twins, is from Theon's left pinky. It is stated explicitly, and in the show it was taken from his right pinkie. Lol. Not really bothered by it but I noticed it as a continuity error.

The show is all kinds of stupid now and has been heading towards this iceberg since S2. I know a lot of book fans enjoy it for sheer popcorn value, and the non-readers don't know any better, but I don't even recognize anything from the source material anymore and will probably be tuning out henceforth. At this stage, any resemblance to ASOIAF is pretty much nominal.

This.

honestly, a lot of the scenes in this season that I've been highly anticipating fell flat due to the lack of emotion/chemistry in a lot of the scenes. I'm worried that the RW isn't going to have the same gravity as it should because of the way the writing is going downhill. My husband (unsullied) called last night's episode "uneventful", even though Ros died, Jon climbed the wall, etc. All of the Tully scenes feel devoid of any emotion, I dont think people will be connected enough to them to really feel the impact of the RW.

its a pity, they did such an amazing job with season 1. Incredible what you can do with an adaptation when you stick mostly to the source material.

Yeah. One of the biggest instances of this I felt was the parley between Stannis and Renly last season. Neither acted anything like how they are in the books. They even took out Renly's peach.

I wouldn't get too excited about the Red Wedding either. One of the reasons it was such a hard read was because people like book Robb/Catelyn more. I think many fans at this point just want their TV equivalents gone.

The flayed skin that Roose produces in the letter from his son while at the Twins, is from Theon's left pinky. It is stated explicitly, and in the show it was taken from his right pinkie. Lol. Not really bothered by it but I noticed it as a continuity error.

That's actually a continuity error in the books. It's said to be from Theon's left pinky, but in ADWD Theon has lost his right pinky (the one he has lost so far in the show) as well as his left index and ring finger; and that other thing.

The fact that Cat only got one line this episode makes me want to set fire to something. I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place within me where my hope for HBO's portrayal of Catelyn Stark was once.

:agree:

oh geez I'm saying he wouldn't do it himself. Did he try to kill Bran himself? No he hired an assassin. Did he kill Ned? No he had Ser Ilyn do it.

As a little boy he cut open a pregnant cat like it was nothing.Oh and did you forget, he did shoot crosbows at a bunch of peasants who were begging for bread.

It's been since season 2 that I fear I have been waiting for the RW to put Catelyn out of my misery. She could have, should have, been so much more.

That horse is done good and dead, despite the fact that I agree 100%.

They should have at least one Catelyn/Edmure scene before the Red Wedding, to show why he's going to be upset by her murder; so far they're acting as if they barely know each other.

Agreed. Edmure really has had a rough old time of it this season, would be nice if they explored a different aspect of his character instead of perpetually painting him as a disappointment to his family and Robb. Tobias Menzies has been greatly underused; a scene between Edmure and Catelyn would be much appreciated at this point.

It would seem that the

interpretation of TVEdmure is that of a glory seeking doofus given the treatment displayed on screen. What makes it egregious is that the cannon relationship, IIRC, between Edmure and Catelyn is that he views her as a surrogate mother. Last night we see Cat's single line (! fuck you very much), "You would have us all lose our freedom because you want to hand pick your pretty wife" which would have been rather awesome if anyone had bothered to play up the matriarchal position Cat holds with Edmure, not the least because this is now her second "son" who wants to choose based on love, that love predicated on sexual attraction and beauty. Perhaps her level of anger was meant to suggest this, but as all Cat scenes governed by D&D, it was another epic fail. Seems a shame because, with the benefit of reading, I understand that Cat truly loves Edmure, very much like a son, and treats him much better all around than has been depicted. As has Bryden and Robb.

At this point, Catelyn is so far beyond the reservation in depiction, I'm pissed off that they wouldn't just give her the Westerosi equivalent of, "What the fuck is wrong with all of you fucking limp dicks? You can't figure out why we're losing? Just, everyone fuck off, and leave me to my god damned grief, assholes. Jesus, my kingdom for a penis so I can win this god damned thing already.

You know, I didn't read the books until after season one. Epic fail on my part, and I'll tell you why: After I read them, I was so excited to see what was written on the screen. And then TPTB adapted the books for television, and all the nuances I wanted to see are no longer adaptable to time constraints. So, really, they are entirely two different animals, which ultimately leaves me with the feeling that had I not read the books, HBOGoT really wouldn't be something I would watch as it is presented in adaptational form. It's rather geared towards a simpleton's mentality. I don't mean to offend, but there is simply no other way to put it. It could have been great, but instead, it's flavor of the month television.

The fact that Cat only got one line this episode makes me want to set fire to something. I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place within me where my hope for HBO's portrayal of Catelyn Stark was once.

Is it wrong that I am now image the show writers visibly agreeing with Joffrey's statement of how intelligent women only do what they are told?

You know, I didn't read the books until after season one. Epic fail on my part, and I'll tell you why: After I read them, I was so excited to see what was written on the screen. And then TPTB adapted the books for television, and all the nuances I wanted to see are no longer adaptable to time constraints. So, really, they are entirely two different animals, which ultimately leaves me with the feeling that had I not read the books, HBOGoT really wouldn't be something I would watch as it is presented in adaptational form. It's rather geared towards a simpleton's mentality. I don't mean to offend, but there is simply no other way to put it. It could have been great, but instead, it's flavor of the month television.

Yes, this is exactly my problem with the show post-season one. It could have been up there with the likes of Breaking Bad et al., but instead the show is starting to feel more like True Blood and The Tudors...

As a little boy he cut open a pregnant cat like it was nothing.Oh and did you forget, he did shoot crosbows at a bunch of peasants who were begging for bread.

I did not forget about the cat thing but I surely did forget about the peasants thing. All I think about is him screaming like a little bitch whenever Tyrion slaps him, and that huge bratty temper tantrum he threw at the river in S1 (the situation with Micah and Arya).

That's actually a continuity error in the books. It's said to be from Theon's left pinky, but in ADWD Theon has lost his right pinky (the one he has lost so far in the show) as well as his left index and ring finger; and that other thing.

Ah. Thanks.

I thought it was too.

A missed opportunity with Sam and Puddles the Other. That makes me a sad panda. :( I thought he was lurking in the shadows of the trees ready to spring out! Alas...earwax.

:lmao: This expression...I must integrate it into my lexicon.

"We are fighting for the North - Harrenhall isn't in the North."

Uh, what?? Is Robb no longer King of the Riverlands, or is he just being a stupid fuck? And why would Edmure and Brynden, who aren't Northmen, go along with that?

"We are fighting for the North - Harrenhall isn't in the North."

Uh, what?? Is Robb no longer King of the Riverlands, or is he just being a stupid fuck? And why would Edmure and Brynden, who aren't Northmen, go along with that?

Because TV Robb is a total dick, who quite frankly deserves to be put over Catelyn's knee.

Huh. That's a good point. The whole reason Robb refuses to go North is that once he settles that, his men may not want to continue fighting in the south. But now Robb is defining the whole Casterly Rock exercise as a means of... fighting for the North, riverlands be damned?

Sloppy.

Huh. That's a good point. The whole reason Robb refuses to go North is that once he settles that, his men may not want to continue fighting in the south. But now Robb is defining the whole Casterly Rock exercise as a means of... fighting for the North, riverlands be damned?

Sloppy.

I wonder if the actors ever notice these inconsistencies when they read the lines. If I was playing Robb I don't think I could hold my tongue - I would say something to the director about how it makes no sense. Not the actor's job, I know, but still

Archived