who would you want as your bodyguard?

tarquinbb

Sandor Clegane, without a doubt.

A close second is Howland Reed. Without him, Ned wouldn't be alive. This let me believe that Howland battled and killed Arthur Dayne. If that is so, then Howland is the best fighter that ever existed.

Not true, this was in battle. In a 1 on 1, Arthur Dayne would destroy Reed with ease. We don't know how Reed put Dayne down. For all we know, it could have been a stab in the back while Dayne was occupied with Ned.

Also, Sandor is a bad choice considering he ditched Joffrey after 1 battle and all attackers would need to do is carry a torch and he'd run away, ditching you.

Going to agree on both accounts FM666. Sandor is an easy one, so I will not waste bandwidth. Howland on the other hand and how he saved Eddard continues to be a big question mark in my mind. Like you, I'm inclined to think it was the proverbial stab in the back. With Howland, we also can't rule out a net, or...dare I say it...."warging".

There’s no second guessing this decision, it would be Ser Barristan Selmy. Ser Barristan’s trust, honor and loyalty are without question. Based upon that reputation, I wouldn’t express any regrets with placing my life in his hands. Furthermore, Ser Barristan’s fighting skills are legendary. Albeit, he has advanced in age but his abilities haven’t diminished one bit.

Going to agree on both accounts FM666. Sandor is an easy one, so I will not waste bandwidth. Howland on the other hand and how he saved Eddard continues to be a big question mark in my mind. Like you, I'm inclined to think it was the proverbial stab in the back. With Howland, we also can't rule out a net, or...dare I say it...."warging".

I can see where you are going with this, but it is never explicity stated that Ned battled Dayne, while there was stated that without Howland, Ned would have been dead. I think Howland defended stairs or a door when Ned broke through the fight and killed Dayne. I think Howland would have a better reach with his spear.

I can see where you are going with this, but it is never explicity stated that Ned battled Dayne, while there was stated that without Howland, Ned would have been dead. I think Howland defended stairs or a door when Ned broke through the fight and killed Dayne. I think Howland would have a better reach with his spear.

Fair enough.

:cheers:

Ser Barristan. The man is a legend - one that doesn't appear to have been hyped up as even his enemies had serious respect for this guy.

Failing that The Hound (obviously as long as nothing went up in flames while he was in your service) or Brienne of Tarth.

Jon Snow

He was fast enough for a seasoned fighter Rattle shirt (though hes not s a swordsman) to be fooled into thinking he was holding his against half hand and seems to me speed would be the necessary skill to fake a fight. Qhorin doesn't bring his strength to bear or use any complex maneuvers and Jon can just use his speed to keep up.

Lifts Alliser Thorn in the air with one arm (gets out muscled by Mance but he's a grown man and one of the top wildling fighters.)

Trains religiously with Iron Emmet

Is a package deal with ghost who has spidy senses and is also a top notch fighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Although it does seem he could have stabbed him in the back, I'm not sure Ned would have been very proud of it if Arthur was taken out that way.

One thing is to conceal the identity of a baby (Jon - if really R + L) as babies are innocent. Another would be to have been an honorable and respectable knight as Arthur with a backstab. That's something which doesn't fit in with his honor.

Archived