What if?: Jon Snow doesn't join the Night's Watch

HawkBat

Ive always wondered what wouldve happened if Lady Hornwood had visited Winterfell before Ned & Jon left. Ser Rodrick's main objection over marrying her was that he had no sons and they wouldnt be able to produce any. If Ned were in Winterfell and Jon still in play he couldve simply betrothed Jon to Rodricks daughter making him the heir to Lady Hornwoods land and getting him away from Catelyn.

But for literary reasons, he had to go to the wall.

Ive always wondered what wouldve happened if Lady Hornwood had visited Winterfell before Ned & Jon left. Ser Rodrick's main objection over marrying her was that he had no sons and they wouldnt be able to produce any. If Ned were in Winterfell and Jon still in play he couldve simply betrothed Jon to Rodricks daughter making him the heir to Lady Hornwoods land and getting him away from Catelyn.

But for literary reasons, he had to go to the wall.

Hornwood had no heirs because her son (and husband?) died fighting for Rob. So she couldn`t have predicted she would be alone, and I don´t believe she would have acept marring a bastard, it would make much sense marrying her to her husband bastard before (this is wrong for other reasons).

It's what happens when there's no new subject matter to discuss.

Oh I understand... I just think it is funny how people post in threads like this as is they are stating facts or they are GRRM themselves lol

Oh I understand... I just think it is funny how people post in threads like this as is they are stating facts or they are GRRM themselves lol
You might want to get off the forum, it's like that in every thread. Plus GRRM has nothing to do with "what if" scenarios: these being fan-fiction, any poster has as much authority on his fiction as GRRM has on his story, what matters is merely to be consistent with the interpretation you have of the world... and discussing interpretations, that's what the forum is for anyway. What were you here for, by the way?

People here get very competitive about their understanding of the various characters and plot lines. Might be fun to see them in the same room after a few drinks.

People here get very competitive about their understanding of the various characters and plot lines. Might be fun to see them in the same room after a few drinks.
From my experience, nobody talks about ASOIAF much around drinks, and everyone agrees more when alcohol and visual clues are involved anyway.

He may have gone to the Iron Islands with Theon, at the urging of Cat of all people, to keep an eye on things. Maybe he gets locked in a cell there, everyone assumes he is dead, and Theon/Reek comes back and frees him after escaping from the Bastard. It would help complete Theons arc, set up a bastard vs bastard fight and still gets Jon into the fight from out of no where.

You might want to get off the forum, it's like that in every thread. Plus GRRM has nothing to do with "what if" scenarios: these being fan-fiction, any poster has as much authority on his fiction as GRRM has on his story, what matters is merely to be consistent with the interpretation you have of the world... and discussing interpretations, that's what the forum is for anyway. What were you here for, by the way?

I am here to state opinions of my views of ASOIAF as is every one else... However, I would not get into petty arguments about how my version of pure speculation holds more water than anyone else. We all read the same books and are all entitled to our own opinions. And the fact that this is a fan forum, means that this is the place to state said opinions. Who are any of these people to say mine or yours or anyone else's opinions are bs? Just because of the orange number under your (anyone) name? That matters not.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Jon woud have been with Robb more- or less- the whole time, he would have fought with him. Jons presents could have prevented Robb making the rash decision of marrying Jeyne, simply by being the one who was there for Robb when he found out about 'Bran' and 'Rickon' instead of Jeyne or by talking Robb out of making such a stupid choice

• Stannis does not go North (would the Watch even have sent messengers if killing Mormont had been successful?)
  • Jon goes south with Robb (there is no way Cat leaves him with Bran to seize the opportunity to rule Winterfell in all but in name), but does not die at the Red Wedding (He either dies with the Kastark boys in the Whispering Woods, highly likely, or he stays at Riverrun. Remember he's not authorized to sit at the high table when there's guests, and Catelyn is there too)

The ravens would probably still be sent. In fact, if Thoren was elected LC, he'd take himself a couple hundreds and launch the Great Range which would still happen as Thoren is all about getting aggressive on their asses (not sure if he'd attack the WWs or Mance though). But anyway with Aemon as Maester and 2 wights responsible for the deaths of several members of the NW including their former LC, they'd still ask for help.

I agree that Jon would've gone South and likely would perish in a battle. I mean, he learnt great things during his early time in the NW, things that hadn't he learnt, he'd probably be easily killed in battle. And worth noting that Lannister soldiers are harder opponents than the wildlings and seeing how Jon was rather prideful, I'm sure he'd try something heroic in battle and die.

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt there would've been a Red Wedding with Jon there.

I remember he only sought comfort from Jeyne, but he would've looked to Jon instead (and no not sex)

If Jon was there with him he wouldn't have broken his oath.

Also, Jon would've advised against sending Theon to Balon. Jon hates Theon and distrusts him.

Jon is Robb's best friend. He would've listened to him.

@Winterz Jon learned how to become more mature and lead. He already knew how to fight and plan strategies.

Also, he'd have Ghost with him in battle all the time. Kind of helps.

He wouldn't have died at the RW as he wouldn't have been invited, he is the biggest insult to Tully honour ever. If he survived the war Robb would have named him as his heir and sent him off to Greywater Watch, as he wouldn't have been welcome at RR with Blackfish.

Archived