[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry and Melisandre Scene

teemo

At first I thought each leech corasponded to each person who was named. The "member" leech was for Theon Greyjoy (because of what happens to him while tortured), but then the other two leeches I didn't get. One leech was on his heart (?) and the other just on his chest, so my theory was ruined because Robb's leech should have been on his head or maybe the heart one was for Robb because he married the girl he loved, not a Frey. I don't know... I don't know why she didn't just drop 3 leeches on his chest.

Sorry! I should have explained myself better... Each of the usurpers were killed in a certain way (or tortured like Theon) so I was thinking each leech would be placed where the person was tortured or killed. So Theon was on his member (a leech was placed there); Robb was beheaded so a leech should have been on his head, but maybe there was a leech on Gendry's heart and that was for Robb for being betrayed or for marrying for love instead of business, but Joffrey's death - I don't know how the leech on Gendry's chest could be explained.

He seemed to keep his composure a lot better when he was being tortured in season 2.

Fortunately he never got to feel the little rodent burying into his chest. I think seeing an insect latching onto your junk would be sufficient reason to yell. Not that I think thus was a good choice per se but when you're hard as a diamond in an ice storm I assume there's a lot if blood to leech in that vicinity.

Pointless sex scene would be the one with Theon last episode. The girls were hot, just like Carice, but it was admittedly ridiculous and unnecessary This one works, with Mel using her established characterization as a seductress. It ties in nicely with Gendry's first impression of her, and Mel's buttering him up with the Baratheon speech. And it involves an important plot progression with the king's blood and leeches.

Both are pointless sex scenes. She could get her point through without sex. She didn't even need Gendry she could use Stannis' blood. It doesn't work at all. Just because she's a 'seductress' doesn't mean she needs to have pointless sex scenes.

Sorry! I should have explained myself better... Each of the usurpers were killed in a certain way (or tortured like Theon) so I was thinking each leech would be placed where the person was tortured or killed. So Theon was on his member (a leech was placed there); Robb was beheaded so a leech should have been on his head, but maybe there was a leech on Gendry's heart and that was for Robb for being betrayed or for marrying for love instead of business, but Joffrey's death - I don't know how the leech on Gendry's chest could be explained.

Heart - Robb stabbed in the heart by Roose

Torso/Belly - Joffrey swallowing poison

Dick - LOL??? Balon was apparently thrown off a bridge by a faceless man that swung him off a bridge by holding his member?

Oh well it almost worked.

Dick - LOL??? Balon was apparently thrown off a bridge by a faceless man that swung him off a bridge by holding his member?

Haha, Or maybe the Dick was symbolic for Joffrey :drunk:

Fortunately he never got to feel the little rodent burying into his chest. I think seeing an insect latching onto your junk would be sufficient reason to yell. Not that I think thus was a good choice per se but when you're hard as a diamond in an ice storm I assume there's a lot if blood to leech in that vicinity.

He's not stupid, he knows 3 leeches won't kill him, so it once again, does not make logical sense that he is screaming and begging over leeches when during actual iminent death torture he faces it with strength and stoicism.

He's not stupid, he knows 3 leeches won't kill him, so it once again, does not make logical sense that he is screaming and begging over leeches when during actual iminent death torture he faces it with strength and stoicism.

What a total character assassination. I cannot abide a man screaming for having an obscure insect latch onto his boner.

What a total character assassination. I cannot abide a man screaming for having an obscure insect latch onto his boner.

INSECT? Puhlease, do your research.

Oh my gosh - did he say Balon? I thought he said Theon! Well, actually that would work because with the mutilation of Theon the Greyjoy line is done as far as sons, right? So Thank You! :) That actually works and it has been awhile since I read the books so I forgot about Roose stabbing Robb.But I think you got it: heart leech for Robb, belly leech for Joffrey, and member leech for Balon.

See that's what I love about this show they don't waste time shooting scenes of people fucking just fuck. Every scene in the show that has a sex scene means something such as Mel and Gendry, Pod, LF's speech when Ros was getting broken in, and Robb and Talisa they all hold a domino to the story.

Now True Blood is entirely different they shoot sex scenes that take up ten minutes of the show and holds little to meaning to the plot at all.

But back to the matter at hand I loved the scene I believe it was the easiest way to extract blood from Gendry because he needed to be relaxed like Mel said to Stannis

What exactly did Pod's scenes contribute to the story? Robb and Talisa is a deviation that most people hate, Littlefinger's speech would have been more memorable without the sex (cause now everyone simply remembers it as the sexposition scene) and Mel and Gendry fucking had nothing to do with what was going on.

That scene was really just an elaborate way of getting Mel naked again, no two ways about it. Mel explained to Stannis that "the lamb" cannot see "the knife" coming because of the fear it elicits, but Gendry definitely "saw the knife coming" as soon as Mel dismounted him, so that whole explanation made no sense.

Hurray for the 10.000th wrong use of "character assassination"!

Please, do mock all the people on this thread who are having a civilized discussion and giving their opinions about a particular scene. And none of them in the 9 pages so far have mentioned the term "character assassination", just so you know; except for of course the two of you who are only using it to mock other people and their opinions, instead or presenting valid arguments against theirs. Oh, and please DarkAndFullOfTurnips do some research, leeches are not insects.

Well, two different scenarios. At Harrenhal, Gendry had witnessed numerous tortures and how the Tickler broke their spirits; he obviously told himself during his capture that he would not give them any satisfaction. At Dragonstone, on the other hand, he's confused and unsure about what it is he's doing there. Melisandre starts to "befriend" Gendry, then seduces him; to which he goes along with.

Now, if you start having a sex with a woman whom you know to be a "witch" of sorts that suddenly ties you up and starts putting leeches on your body and genitals out of nowhere, would you just sit there quietly?

Also, the most important factor of all - it's a television show! It's dramatised for theatrical purposes! People need to chill out about such a minor thing.

Please, do mock all the people on this thread who are having a civilized discussion and giving their opinions about a particular scene. And none of them in the 9 pages so far have mentioned the term "character assassination", just so you know; except for of course the two of you who are only using it to mock other people and their opinions, instead or presenting valid arguments against theirs. Oh, and please DarkAndFullOfTurnips do some research, leeches are not insects.

I'm just saying the term has been misused a thousand times on these boards. It has nothing to do with the poster's opinion on the scene. If you notice, I just spoke about the term. I did not write "what you say is bullshit", or "listen to me while I mock you for your opinion". Because DarkAndFullOfTurnips was using the term ironically. Did you notice it? The term "character assassination" has a very precise meaning, and this was the (imaginary) 10.000th time someone utterly misused it (although on purpose, this time). The fact that a poster did not like the scene is a totally different matter, which I never questioned, nor mocked. You should really lighten up, it's not like these boards are about matters of life and death. And again, I just said nearly noone is using the term for what it means.

Archived