[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry and Melisandre Scene

teemo

She was just talking dirty in her own way...

Again, the scene explained itself why she did the leeching. A demonstration was needed.

Telling someone you will suck out their essence and birth it into the world = worst dirty talk ever. LOL.

That is what I said as well. I think they are just making Mel's show magic more traditional in the sense of our own 'real world' magical practices. Occultists like Aleister Crowley would often perform bizarre sex acts to lend power to their rituals.

People are taking it way too literally. Just because she had sex with him doesn't mean that she wants a shadow baby. It's more symbolic.

It's just some good old fashioned sex-magick.

Once again, it is totally unnecessary, but it doesn't really have to make a lot of sense. There is a very good chance that both book and show Melisandre are just going through the motions of ritual and symbolism in ways that are not at all effective, much like Aleister Crowley might, but that she is coincidentally getting lucky with results.

Yeah, exactly! Where is the pointing 'this' sign when you need it..

Incidentally, that last bit is exactly my interpretation of Mel's magic and R'hllor's tricks in the books. Still don't understand why people think he is real..

The same can be said about everyone rushing in to denounce the nudity as just as a means to meet this 'Nudity' Quota. Is that even a real thing?

yep. they have a producer that wants as much as possible and pushes it in at every chance he gets, even if there wasn't meant to be any.

yep. they have a producer that wants as much as possible and pushes it in at every chance he gets, even if there wasn't meant to be any.

yep, read his interview. He said he represents the perv audience and the perv audience wants nudity. He's the one who encouraged them to do full frontal in the Theon torture scene.

I know there isn't really a "quota", but the producer is openly stating that he is adding nudity for the sake of nudity, not to advance the storyline or be artistic. Its for the pervs, he said so himself.

See that's what I love about this show they don't waste time shooting scenes of people fucking just fuck. Every scene in the show that has a sex scene means something such as Mel and Gendry, Pod, LF's speech when Ros was getting broken in, and Robb and Talisa they all hold a domino to the story.

Now True Blood is entirely different they shoot sex scenes that take up ten minutes of the show and holds little to meaning to the plot at all.

But back to the matter at hand I loved the scene I believe it was the easiest way to extract blood from Gendry because he needed to be relaxed like Mel said to Stannis

I agree. They should keep putting in random sex scenes that don't make sense.

Mel can be naked all the time for all I care, but why have sex with Gendry? People have every right to discuss why they choose to cut good scenes and lines from the book and put pointless sex scenes in instead without having that stupid 'prude' term tossed about when anyone says anything negative at all about sex scenes.

Why stop at Mel. I vote season 4 should be filmed with the entire cast naked. Nudity doesn't have to be justified after all.

Wow, this is definitely not what I was expecting. I'm not really sure what to think at this point...need time. And others thoughts. Opinions?

it was almost as bad as Theon's torture.

I guess without Davos demanding proof he would've been sacrificed? That would've been really freaking horrible to see.

They are turning Mel into a whore

Does she need to seduce everyone?

So correct me if I'm wrong but didn't she seduce Stannis and try to seduce davos and jon?

I'm not saying she's as flippant as a whore but she is a bit of a seductress and I guess that's what they want her to be in the show a very scary seductress.

Oooh boy. What to say about this.

I guess I will go w/my now standard criticism that it didn't make much sense. The 'lamb never sees the knife' except when she ties him up and throws the leeches on him? WTF. Why does Stannis go down to talk to Davos about sacrificing Gendry if it was just a leech deal? Am I supposed to surmise that off camera was a big dust up about whether it was leeches or burning, and why would that occur off camera.

This was the worst possible amalgamation of the story line with some almost sex and nudity thrown in for good measure, because I guess "the lamb" can see the knife as long she gives him a hard one first. Jesus Wept.

and why attach it to his penis?

that's was pointless

any body parts would do the job

Take a minute and really think about what you are claiming to know with that statement.

And as to some people saying now the audience is going to think the RW is because of Stannis, the RW is not going to happen off screen. We will hear "Jaime Lannister sends him regards." We'll probably get a scene where Tywin discusses the plan with someone ipso facto. If after all that, you choose to believe the Red God works in mysterious ways, that's up to you. Martin gave us a political and a supernatural explanation and left the belief up to you. I think the show is going to do the same thing.

Take a minute and really think about what you are claiming to know with that statement.

And as to some people saying now the audience is going to think the RW is because of Stannis, the RW is not going to happen off screen. We will hear "Jaime Lannister sends him regards." We'll probably get a scene where Tywin discusses the plan with someone ipso facto. If after all that, you choose to believe the Red God works in mysterious ways, that's up to you. Martin gave us a political and a supernatural explanation and left the belief up to you. I think the show is going to do the same thing.

wrong!

BOOK SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If these leeches are meant to be the demise of the king counterparts, then wouldn't Jon be extreamly pissed when he finds out that she had a hand in Roberts end?

As for Gendry, I think she still plans on burning him, once the leeches have run their course if you know what I mean. It will be at this point that Davos will smuggle him away and tell Stannis to go North. Just my humble opinion. As for the nudity, look its how it is and if you are surprised or upset by it at this point, get over it. I am sure there is something PBS you can watch.

I really liked this scene! I think the sex/nudity worked well here, which is something that doesn't happen very often on GoT. As Melisandre said, this was only intended to show Davos her (and according to her, R'hllor's) power. We all know the evidence for those (seeming) powers will start dropping in over the next few episodes. She still intends to sacrifice him "to wake dragons from stone".

He said he represents the perv audience and the perv audience wants nudity. He's the one who encouraged them to do full frontal in the Theon torture scene.

I know there isn't really a "quota", but the producer is openly stating that he is adding nudity for the sake of nudity, not to advance the storyline or be artistic. Its for the pervs, he said so himself.

That's pretty embarrassing.

yep, read his interview. He said he represents the perv audience and the perv audience wants nudity. He's the one who encouraged them to do full frontal in the Theon torture scene.

Which producer is this? I'm genuinely curious. Do you have a link?

Archived