The Big Bang Theory 5.0: "An honest kiss, a little kindness,"

Datepalm

Without the women I feel like this show is really weak. Or at least it would have been without the growth and expanded cast they brought tot [to] the table.

I still maintain that this ifs the Big Bang Theory...the show had to continue to expand to truly develop. Adding Bernadette, Adding Amy. Marrying Howard and Bernadette. Raj talking. It might not have been intentional, but it makes sense to me.

Thus last episode was one of the best in the show's entire run. It utilized the entire cast in a new way and played off of all kinds of things that have been touched on or hinted at.

Honestly, I wasn't crazy about it. It was fun but felt half-formed. Amy and Howard getting along and Leonard and Bernadette not getting along was great, but it was a shame that each was limited to just a single gag. There were plenty of funny touches: I liked the academic bragging - where did Sheldon go to school anyway - and Sheldon being the last person to figure out "Sheldon's spot," and Raj's ill-conceived 'everyone's a winner', but the show can be much smarter about its character dynamics, so I expected more when they finally get some new ones.

Found it quite good, better than most of the last ones (last season, if not last 2 seasons), overall.

My opinion probably comes from the fact that the format of the episode means it didn't deal as much with couple-building and serious relationship pointless stuff, and more about the characters goofing around in non-couple combinations.

So, a Walowitz, Amy, Sheldon, Bernadette love rectangle?

No, I think someone else said it as well - I'd like to see them use what happened there to foster the relationships around Sheldon. Expand Amy's friendship with Bernie and Howard independent of each other - let her see how their relationship works instead of just the hero worship she gives Penny. In the end, show that maybe what she has with Sheldon - while the best she has had - may not be as good as she thought it was.

Sometime last year I started hoping Amy is going to dump Sheldon, because I feel bad about it going absolutely nowhere for her and her not getting any positive emotional stuff from the 'relationship'. Maybe she can end up with Raj, heh. Sheldon is a really cool character, but Amy still being tethered to him is becoming implausible to me.

I'm not sure where the theory that the show is less geeky comes from. The first season was more or less, "NERDS!! ha-ha!" laughing at how hapless and 'dumb' and awkward nerdy guys are, and more or less mocking Sheldon and Leonard for being interested in Penny.

On the other hand, last season dedicated an entire episode to a dungeons and dragons campaign--for their christmas episode! and although they teased about Dungeons and Dragons, the guys still had fun playing it, and even made playing it seem fun to at home audiences, rather than the guys learning the lesson that nerdy stuff is bad cause it makes girls scorn you mmkay (which was the point of most of the first season episodes, iirc).

Sometime last year I started hoping Amy is going to dump Sheldon, because I feel bad about it going absolutely nowhere for her and her not getting any positive emotional stuff from the 'relationship'. Maybe she can end up with Raj, heh. Sheldon is a really cool character, but Amy still being tethered to him is becoming implausible to me.

I kinda want her to come up with an ultimatum as well, but that sex via D&D rolls was surprisingly touching.

I kinda want her to come up with an ultimatum as well, but that sex via D&D rolls was surprisingly touching.

I thought it was a pretty bruising scene, really. I've rewatched that ep a couple of times and I grow to appreciate it more and more. Amy is just so ridiculously, well, exposed there, and it would have been totally in character for Sheldon to just completely destroy her, and very possibly never even notice. (show would have gone there, too.) Minor moment of grace that he didn't.

I thought it was a pretty bruising scene, really. I've rewatched that ep a couple of times and I grow to appreciate it more and more. Amy is just so ridiculously, well, exposed there, and it would have been totally in character for Sheldon to just completely destroy her, and very possibly never even notice. (show would have gone there, too.) Minor moment of grace that he didn't.

Yeah, but to you the show is a remake of Sartre's No Exit. ;-P

I maintain that i'm right. Seriously, it baffles me how no one else sees this. I've even been hanging out at a BBT board, and there's a hard-core Shamy shippers contingent there, and they're all like "omg they're just so cute" and i'm like, what is wrong with all of you?!?

I want Amy to get much more than she's getting now out of that relationship. I mean cmon...she's intelligent woman who settles for some d&d sex after all that years of getting nothing. Please. And this coming from a person that loves Sheldon.

Even though I want to see better for Amy, this is still an extremely sheltered character to a degree. Witness her reaction when she realizes the scavenger hunt was real and she was actually a part of it. And that's with people she considers actual friends.

I'm pretty sure they're going to get Amy laid eventually. They seem to be slowly moving Sheldon there. I wouldn't be shocked if it was in this season's finale.

Spoiler
Anyway, I enjoyed tonight's episode... Any episode where Leonard's mom shows up is a winner for me. I also liked Sheldon plotting revenge for the Raiders thing (which I think I'd heard at some point before? but it still managed to blow my mind a bit, haha). As someone whose done quite a bit of online dating, the Raj and comic book man's forays into it were a lot of fun too. It's kind of surprising that it's taken them this long to mind online dating for material. They may have made passing references to online dating before, but I don't think they've used it for any plot lines.

I'm glad knowing this week involved Raiders of the Lost Arc made me finally watch it, before I saw this. But, hey, that was only 2 out of 3 subplots that were soul crushingly grim. Amy and Sheldon kinda made progress!

ETA - Indiana Jones saves Marion? The Nazis seem to have known she had the medallion and would have gone after it anyway, but she might not have given it to them and they might have wanted to eliminate loose ends even if she did, so Indie showing up when he does saves her life. I think.

The Raiders thing was rather lazy. There are plenty of movies you could nitpick in such a fashion, but in this case it feels rather like missing the point. The Indy movies are never about him saving the world, the dangerous artefacts are just the macguffin to send him into a crazy sequence of perilous situations he escapes by the skin of his teeth. I think actually the movies are good examples of stories that are about the journey, not the destination.

What he saves are people: Marion/the kids/his father etc, but the artefacts he chases are always too powerful for people to control. So the Ark gets locked away, the stone goes back to the tiny village, the Grail is lost/remains in the temple, ET goes home. It's always a loss for science, but it's justified with a "(most of) humanity isn't ready" kind of vibe.

The Raiders thing was rather lazy. There are plenty of movies you could nitpick in such a fashion, but in this case it feels rather like missing the point. The Indy movies are never about him saving the world, the dangerous artefacts are just the macguffin to send him into a crazy sequence of perilous situations he escapes by the skin of his teeth. I think actually the movies are good examples of stories that are about the journey, not the destination.

What he saves are people: Marion/the kids/his father etc, but the artefacts he chases are always too powerful for people to control. So the Ark gets locked away, the stone goes back to the tiny village, the Grail is lost/remains in the temple, ET goes home. It's always a loss for science, but it's justified with a "(most of) humanity isn't ready" kind of vibe.

I think they did miss, but only by including the other guys in it. If they had left it to Sheldon v. Amy, then I think they hit the nail on the head. People aren't important to them - it is the result. Result of Indy is the Ark is opened regardless of what he did from how they view the world. Leonard, Raj and Howard (while not great at it) at least have the caring about other people thing in their make up and should have been able to bring that point up. Actually, that might have been a better ending - have one of them say 'But Indy saved Marion!" and then have Sheldon come back with something like "So??"

While a comeback to Amy's "it doesn't have to be about vengeance" could have had a good comeback with "Star Trek says differently" I did like that they tried to have some more character development.

I enjoyed it last night - bringing Stuart back in more is always fun, Leonards mom is always spot on. And while I really do try not to comment on things like this...god. damn. nice nightie.

Archived