The Big Bang Theory 5.0: "An honest kiss, a little kindness,"

Datepalm

am i the only one who considers sheldon's statement he doesn't rule out intimate contact any more as a significant breakthrough for his character?

It was huge. Let's hope it's not forgotten.

am i the only one who considers sheldon's statement he doesn't rule out intimate contact any more as a significant breakthrough for his character?

It is so weird to think about Sheldon being intimate.

Seems like a rock and a hard place, narratively - going slow is more in character, but the more things drag out, the bigger and more dramatic any eventual move is - only big romance drama is also out of character. Well, hopefully they know what they're doing and have a stock of things to progress with that are small and awkward and in-character, building up to whatever. It's such a delicate, unusual story, i'd hate to see it burn down or peter out.

I am crossing my fingers that they can pull this off in a way that respects the characters they developed, AND lets both characters be happy. I have no idea what miracle of writing would allow that, but it is what I would like to see.

I usually love the show, but this storyline is becoming truly painful to watch. Lonely geeks break my heart, and although Amy has never been my favorite character, seeing her express a need for physical affection from the last person able to give it is rough.

Yes, I am that big of a sap.

It was huge. Let's hope it's not forgotten.

It was a step...but he'd said that before, to Penny and Leonard. It wasn't a step forward, it was a step sideways. That's why I thought a kiss would have been indicative of growth, at least a peck or something.

I'm thinking about it...yes, saying that to Amy was maybe a tiny bit forward, because he said it to the girl about whom he's not ruled it out. But Raj (the near-useless tertiary character) got a huge leap forward and Sheldon got an inch. I want more progress from him. Not coitus. Oy vey not coitus.

I usually love the show, but this storyline is becoming truly painful to watch. Lonely geeks break my heart, and although Amy has never been my favorite character, seeing her express a need for physical affection from the last person able to give it is rough.

Yes, I am that big of a sap.

Me too, I guess, but the show is often pretty rough, in its careless sort of way - I can't even watch the bits where Howard is on the ISS and still getting bullied and humiliated in all those really nasty, juvenile ways, in the middle of what should be the coolest moment of his life. The meanness of that is just stagerring to me. (And there's the Star Trek cosplay episode, and that one where Leonard runs into some bully from school - and they get kicked out of their own apartment...good god, does no one think these plots through?) Amy and Sheldon's flailing amoeba of a relationship is pure romance and butterflies and sunny optimism about the human condition next to all that.

It was a step...but he'd said that before, to Penny and Leonard. It wasn't a step forward, it was a step sideways. That's why I thought a kiss would have been indicative of growth, at least a peck or something.

I'm thinking about it...yes, saying that to Amy was maybe a tiny bit forward, because he said it to the girl about whom he's not ruled it out. But Raj (the near-useless tertiary character) got a huge leap forward and Sheldon got an inch. I want more progress from him. Not coitus. Oy vey not coitus.

After 6 seasons, and he's not been tertiary for a number of seasons given he's got his own character arc independent of anyone else in the series. And he had to suffer a traumatic heartbreak. While there's definitely a pecking order among the fellas I'd say all 4 are series essential to me. Them and Penny are the irreplaceable core of the show.

A peck on the cheek I could have lived with. Lip to lip action would have been too much. To me it's important that Sheldon is always reticent about physical intimacy. It should go in the girlfriend agreement that Amy gets an hour every month of physical contact, in 5 minute blocks that can be used consecutively, but not more than 30 minutes on any one day. It must be booked in advance, in writing, and take place not more than 1 hour after bathing. A chlorhexidine based mouthwash must be used no more than 10 minutes before the allotted time. For the time being saliva is the only bodily fluid that may be exchanged as an incidental consequence of closed mouth kissing, which cannot last more than 5 seconds in any minute of time. In case of illness, physical contact must be avoided until at least one month after a doctor has confirmed the person has fully recovered from the illness. In the case of exposure to disease, 12 days must elapse before contact can occur, which constitutes the maximum incubation time for any disease that can be passed by aerosol, saliva exchange or skin contact.

A peck on the cheek I could have lived with. Lip to lip action would have been too much. To me it's important that Sheldon is always reticent about physical intimacy. It should go in the girlfriend agreement that Amy gets an hour every month of physical contact, in 5 minute blocks that can be used consecutively, but not more than 30 minutes on any one day. It must be booked in advance, in writing, and take place not more than 1 hour after bathing. A chlorhexidine based mouthwash must be used no more than 10 minutes before the allotted time. For the time being saliva is the only bodily fluid that may be exchanged as an incidental consequence of closed mouth kissing, which cannot last more than 5 seconds in any minute of time. In case of illness, physical contact must be avoided until at least one month after a doctor has confirmed the person has fully recovered from the illness. In the case of exposure to disease, 12 days must elapse before contact can occur, which constitutes the maximum incubation time for any disease that can be passed by aerosol, saliva exchange or skin contact.

So...you've put some thinking into this, I take it.

I don't think Raj is a tertiary character, they just need to get him a storyline now that he can't be the other half of Raj and Howard Do Something Creepy stories anymore. (And we'll always have his fights with Sheldon when they were sharing an office.)

• 1 month later...

So now that Penny is dating Superman, what are the chances of him doing a guest role this upcoming season? Of course that means this showmance has to last longer than this summer....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2355260/Henry-Cavill-Kaley-Cuoco-showcase-super-new-romance-hiking-AND-hold-hands-grocery-shop.html

So now that Penny is dating Superman, what are the chances of him doing a guest role this upcoming season? Of course that means this showmance has to last longer than this summer....

http://www.dailymail...ocery-shop.html

That'd be great...Sheldon can get another restraining order on the wall!

1) Yup, those are some stalker-photos right there. I didn't realize what I was clicking on, thought it would be one or two photos, especially when it mentioned hiking. Ugh.

2) Do you think that got all set up with her admitting she's already dated Superman?

You know its easier to understand celebreties snapping when you see stuff like that. Who the hell wants to be followed while going to the grocery store and Lowes?

A better question is why the hell do ordinary people care if celebrities are actually normal people...?

A better question is why the hell do ordinary people care if celebrities are actually normal people...?

ORDINARY people don't care.

To whit I say let's not be hoping for this fledgling love connection to be the reason for the latest incarnation of Superman to be appearing in the next season of BBT. That's a bit too much like me wanting people to manipulate their personal lives for my entertainment.

• 2 months later...

50/50?

Amy and Bernadette together are great. Bechdel test, passed! Who would have thought? I could have done without the cringe inducing Raj/Howard physical stuff, but Raj being a quiet catastrophy works for me every time. Sheldon/Leonard/Penny I could take or leave, actually.

Archived