[NO SPOILERS] "Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode (READ OP)

Whatever is to be said about the episode (which i thought was very good, but not without a few needless faults), Jeyne and Robbs talk about lil Ned and teaching him to ride was absolutely heartbreaking. One of the times the writers added in content which really added to the episode and series. Now they've killed Ned twice, and i can honestly say that i felt the same sense of sickness seeing my favorite character die on screen in this way as i did when i read the books

This exchange for me heightened the Robb/Talisa relationship to a new level, and made up for the lack of Bolton axemen. I never cared for Talisa at all until this episode, where i think she came into her own.

And now her, Robb and Cat as we know her are gone....

I thought the entire episode was one of the best of the series thus far. The RW worked for me, I knew it was coming and was quite moved by it nonetheless. A few small items I loved from the episode:

- Roose's look after Catelyn gets done saying how Ned forbade the bedding ritual and didn't want to break a man's jaw on his wedding night. Roose's look seemed to say "I can't wait for you to be gone so I don't have to listen to Ned this and Ned that...."

- Walder Frey....he was portrayed brilliantly

- The entire mood when Bran wargs into Hodor...the lack of sound, the lighting, the stillness and then jojen's face when he realizes what Bran is capable of doing.

- Jorah's look when Dany asks for Daario. poor Jorah

- Edmure being afraid to look at Roslin as Walder lifts her veil, expecting the worst.

- Jon's duck and thrust move to finish Orell. Loved hearing him say he was right the whole time too

- Finally, Catelyn in general. I think, as many others do, she was misused for most of the season but she shined in this episode. Brilliant isn't a strong enough word for her performance IMO

- Everything scene with Ser Jorah was awesome. Ian Glen is an incredible actor and so so good with that sword. He's just so graceful :)

- Rose Leslie's perfect reaction shot to Jon abandoning Ygritte

- Jon Snow finally had a line that made him cool instead of a sullen baby

- the decision to split Bran and Rickon at Queenscrown is great. It gave us a small chance to get to know him since I'm sure they will visit his story line at least a few times next season. And him having a storyline in general will give us book readers something to look forward too. I'm sure it will be just traveling but he and Osha have good chemistry.

- Direwolves!

- Hearing Rickon speak for the first time this season.

- "Hodor, no more Hodoring".

- Jorah, Daario and Grey Worm as three-man army.

- Everything about Walder Frey. He's the biggest slimeball ever.

- Roose's smirk just before the shit hits the fan. First time we've seen him look happy.

- Catelyn's "oh crap" look as that song starts playing.

- Come right down to it, everything about that last scene was done perfectly.

Now that I watched it yet again...I like how they had Grey Wind killed. Since he's a part of Robb, it's fitting that he died a trapped beast killed by cowards who couldn't face him when they killed him (metaphorically, I know Roose faces him physically but Robb's unarmed and injured).

I know that people really wanted to see him taking down 1 or 2 Freys and some random hounds, but what does that actually change or accomplish? Seems more fitting that he would be killed in a trap by cowards like Robb was.

Flip it around and imagine George wrote Grey Wind dying in that manner but the show has him taking out a Frey or two before being killed. Half the people on here would call D&D obtuse for not "getting" the symbolism or writing in gratuitous violence.

Hey, new to the forums, but a constant reader

The red wedding was amazing and blew me away

but to point out another scene besides the red wedding, the scene with Jon and Orell was great. I absolutely loved when Jon said "you were right the whole time" Something about the way it was delivered was just awesome,

It's because I don't think we've ever seen that much life out of Jon Snow. He put all his hate for him and irritation into that gloating remark. It's kind of funny how it mirrors what Roose did to Robb. Stick em in the belly and give em final words to let them know you betrayed them all along.

I loved this:

"This is the closest you've been to your family since Ilyn Payne snipped your daddy's neck."

"Someday, I'm going to put a sword through your eye, and out the back of your skull."

She didn't scream the words, which would have made them sound empty. She looked him dead in the eye and calmly said it as a matter of fact. Damn.

Sandor stops chewing and the look he gives her is like "This crazy bitch is for real!"

I love Arya.

First post. This episode compelled me to.

As an unsullied I was totally shocked, I didn't recognize the music played, but the gloom gave me the chills. When Talisa was talking about little Ned Stark I got misty eyed and something told me it wouldn't go well, still when they stabbed her in the belly, I actually yelled: "o nooooh!" After that the killing of Grey Wind made my gf turn away from the tv and we said to eachother that Arya just can't get a break.

Oh, and last but not least: Arya being a badass, even more so than usual.

I loved Arya reading The Hound as well as he reads her.

She wasn't afraid to tell him she knew his story, despite Litteginger especifically said no one would protect her from Sandor should he know that was the case (season 1).

And she told him, not unlike Brienne told Jaime, that his fear of fire made him look like a little girl.

I loved the Hound's terrible bluffing/persuading skills.

After the Frey guard tells him they can't come in because the feast is over, there's the awkward pause and he goes "We've got pigs' feet too."

Of course Fairley was incredible, but I actually really enjoyed Richard Madden in his last moments. When he holds Talisas head as she's dying and just has that sorrowful stare. For me, it was Robb coming to complete understanding of why this happened. Like, he finally realized what a grave mistake it was breaking his oath, and not only does he pay for it, but he's condemned his wife, his unborn child, his mother, and his men to the same fate.

When he says his final word: "Mother..." I lost it. I interpreted it as him trying to say "You were right. I crossed the wrong man. I am so sorry for what I've caused"

I was really sad the first time through. But after watching the scene like 5 more times, I'm just in awe of the brilliant acting and execution of such a pivotal event. 10/10, best episode of the series.

When he says his final word: "Mother..." I lost it. I interpreted it as him trying to say "You were right. I crossed the wrong man. I am so sorry for what I've caused"

Agreed, powerfully yet so quietly spoken by Madden. To me it was like a terribly sick child calling out for his mother. Utterly heartbreaking.

It's because I don't think we've ever seen that much life out of Jon Snow. He put all his hate for him and irritation into that gloating remark. It's kind of funny how it mirrors what Roose did to Robb. Stick em in the belly and give em final words to let them know you betrayed them all along.

I was actually thinking about this today the interesting dichotomy of in the same episode Jon being the betrayer, but getting no flak b/c he is one of the good guys for team stark, while Walder/Roose getting no such sympathy for doing the same thing. Thats part of the moral ambiguity that I love about the show.

I was actually thinking about this today the interesting dichotomy of in the same episode Jon being the betrayer, but getting no flak b/c he is one of the good guys for team stark, while Walder/Roose getting no such sympathy for doing the same thing. Thats part of the moral ambiguity that I love about the show.

Yup. It's a very interesting dynamic: note that, to a certain extent, both Tywin/Roose/Frey and Dany defeat their enemy through trickery in this episode. We cheer for the Khaleesi. Frey, not so much.

Archived