[Book Spoilers] Catelyn @ the end

Wait wait. I'm reading some people saying Lady Stoneheart WON'T be in the tv series? Is that from an interview or something?

I think so far it's just guesswork. I'm pretty sure they won't just announce that Fairley is going to return next season, with her character being dead and all, it would be a major spoiler.

Or, she might really just not return. Perhaps another actress? LS omitted entirely is a possibility too.

I think Michelle Fairley was just perfect as Catelyn. With that last scream it seemed like all life left inside her came out as one last burst of agony. Leaving only a hallow shell behind. The blade that followed shortly really could do no more harm to her. Brilliant acting and writing. :bowdown:

I was really disappointed with how she just went catatonic at the end. I understand it was a hard scene for her to shoot but I feel like if she had just toughed it out and gone all book Catelyn it would've played better. To be so grief stricken that she's tearing chunks out of her own face , then to have the Frey's in the background talking about how she's gone mad and for someone to end it. That would've been perfect. but alas they opted for the easy mute way. it's a shame.

I actually loved it. She was dead inside before her blood was spilled.

How Michelle Fairley transformed her face (without shredding it) from jovial and beautiful, to madly desperate, to utter despair, to completely dead on the inside...that will haunt me. As a mother, I felt her death long before her throat was slashed.

In other words, I found it to be perfect.

I can not but agree with you.

It might not be as dramatic without the shredding but you can really see that she dies then and there. She's dead before the knife bites her throat. Just perfect, so sad.

As said, I think that at the end although she was still alive, she was already dead, you can only imagine how much she went through, all that suffering, sadness, deaths...

Her first to be husband was killed - Brandon Stark; then Bran fell (was pushed) from the tower; Ned Stark beheaded by the Lannisters; than the news that Bran and Rickon were killed by Theon (she didn't know they were alive); she never saw her daughters again; her father died and lastly just before she died she witnessed her sons / Robb murder.

So much death... she had to be a really strong women to go through all this.

As said, I think that at the end although she was still alive, she was already dead, you can only imagine how much she went through, all that suffering, sadness, deaths...

Her first to be husband was killed - Brandon Stark; then Bran fell (was pushed) from the tower; Ned Stark beheaded by the Lannisters; than the news that Bran and Rickon were killed by Theon (she didn't know they were alive); she never saw her daughters again; her father died and lastly just before she died she witnessed her sons / Robb murder.

So much death... she had to be a really strong women to go through all this.

Catelyn was one of my favorite characters. She wasn't perfect, and made some bad decisions. But she was totally devoted to her children, and not in the way that Cersei lived vicariously through hers. She should a lot of courage on a lot of different occasions. In fact, I don't think she ever showed much fear for herself in any situation. That last scene, where you can see that she is utterly empty, was absolutely perfect. As far as she was concerned, her children were all gone, and she there was nothing left that she could do. Great character, brilliantly portrayed. George said that he wrote her to portray sort of a mother archetype that had been missing from most fantasy, and he succeeded amazingly well.

I think I'm going to take sides with the camp that thinks their choice to show her silent and catatonic at the end was better than having her go crazy and rip her face to shreds as was described in the books. While that was definitely dramatic in reading, I'm not sure it would have played out as well on film.

As many have said, Michelle's acting was so good you actually saw her go from shock to rage to dead inside long before her throat was cut. At the point she slit the girl's throat, the light went out and the woman standing there appeared already dead. Slitting her throat was mercy at that point. That was some amazingly powerful acting and needed nothing more added.

I thought it was fucking fantastic. We don't get her internal monologue, so to have only got her laughing and going insane would have seemed out of place. But her strangled, dead sounding noise that escaped her mouth when Robb died was fucking spectacular. What a great piece of acting.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/game-of-thrones-michelle-fairley-catelyn-interview-spoilers?s=mobile

Some pretty strong suggestions in here that we haven't seen the last of Michelle Fairley :)

I'm not really a fan of book LS and could gladly skip her chapters, however Fairley's characterisation and in particular her final scenes have me unbearably excited to see her return for bloody vengeance.

http://www.buzzfeed....oilers?s=mobile

Some pretty strong suggestions in here that we haven't seen the last of Michelle Fairley :)

I'm not really a fan of book LS and could gladly skip her chapters, however Fairley's characterisation and in particular her final scenes have me unbearably excited to see her return for bloody vengeance.

Okay, that does give me hope that we'll see Lady Stoneheart in episode 10 and then they'll bring her back for an episode here and there in the future.

Perhaps "Lady Stoneheart" won't be on the show but undead Tailisa will be? If MF didn't want to do another season it wouldn't be that hard to have another vengeful ghoul take her place wrecking vengeance on the Frey/Lannisters.

They've set resurrection and coming back "less" than you were into the world the show displays, I can't imagine they didn't do that intentionally because someone will be raised from the dead. Most of the background material they choose to put in there is because it matters... and the stuff they left out is because they leave out the stuff attached to it as well.

Archived