[Book Spoilers] Catelyn @ the end

She was under utilized and silenced throughout this whole season, and made to look stupid in the second season... Robb's story was really Catelyn's story, and I think, by silencing Catelyn in season 3 (and portraying as a 'weak irrational woman who aught to be at home with her children in season 2') the Red Wedding didn't really have the impact that it should have.

But I guess HBO wanted to focus on the boy hero, not on the middle aged woman, that every nubile sex object will age into...

I actually loved it. She was dead inside before her blood was spilled.

How Michelle Fairley transformed her face (without shredding it) from jovial and beautiful, to madly desperate, to utter despair, to completely dead on the inside...that will haunt me. As a mother, I felt her death long before her throat was slashed.

In other words, I found it to be perfect.

I couldn't have put it any better. I was surprised by Cat not shredding her face at first, but on a rewatch, what they did worked so much better. Michelle Fairley's acting was superb.

She was under utilized and silenced throughout this whole season, and made to look stupid in the second season... Robb's story was really Catelyn's story, and I think, by silencing Catelyn in season 3 (and portraying as a 'weak irrational woman who aught to be at home with her children in season 2') the Red Wedding didn't really have the impact that it should have.

But I guess HBO wanted to focus on the boy hero, not on the middle aged woman, that every nubile sex object will age into...

:agree: :agree:

It was as if she was already dead. I thought it was perfect.

Her desperation in the book worked because we could read what she was thinking.

For tv, her catatonic state fit better to send the message.

I agree, i dont get the ppl saying she should have been clawing at her face, sometimes less is more. you can literally see her heartbreak and die before they slit her throat. I'd rather see real emotion that have over-acting and tears and snot running down someone's face.

I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure if someone walked in and told me both my sons were dead my first reaction would proably not be to clench my fists, hold them out to my sides, tilt my head back, stare into the sky and bellow: "Nooooooooooo!", but somehow that seems to be the only way movies/TV seem to be able to convey loss.

She yelled "AHHHHHH" not NO!

I didn't really appreciate her scream until second watch... so devastatingly real... and her face. All emmys belong to her.

On a side note, does anyone know where I might find the audio of the The Rains of Castamere that the musicians played during the episode? I really like it. Cello and some sort of lyre/harp accompaniment. and surprisingly subdued drums, but meh. that's for the nitpick thread.

I didn't really appreciate her scream until second watch... so devastatingly real... and her face. All emmys belong to her.

On a side note, does anyone know where I might find the audio of the The Rains of Castamere that the musicians played during the episode? I really like it. Cello and some sort of lyre/harp accompaniment. and surprisingly subdued drums, but meh. that's for the nitpick thread.

That version from season 2 contains that part, but I have not found it in isolation yet.

I rewatched that episode 4 times now. In humour the only thought that comes to mind on those last seconds. The screaming, followed by silent heave as mouth remains open, then body clenchs and neck muscles strain, eyes closing, lips sticking out is - catsipated.

Her emotions shown throughout in such fine display of great preformance. That closure is questionable? It shows a state of mind but the change is arguably far to quick. From scream to be dropping a knife from killing. Then entering a state of mind, catatonic. How could she remain standing? The body would spasm limbs giving way to weak to stand, eyelids flickering and twitching. Looking like rigamortis, breath held and body clenches.

I retwatched that episode 4 times now. In humour the only thought that comes to mind on those last seconds. The screaming, followed by silent heave as mouth remains open, then body clenchs and neck muscles strain, eyes closing, lips sticking out is - catsipated.

Her emotions shown throughout in such fine display of great preformance. That closure is questionable? It shows a state of mind but the change is arguably far to quick. From scream to be dropping a knife from killing. Then entering a state of mind, catatonic. How could she remain standing? The body would spasm limbs giving way to weak to stand, eyelids flickeing and twitching. Looking like rigamortis, breath held and body clenches.

Catelyn at the end basically made me laugh my ass off. Sorry. It's Monty Python material. She just stands there in a daze like her brain hit a BLUE SCREEN ERROR, YOUR SON JUST DIED. which is natural, and I have no complaints regarding the delivery of it. But damn. The unintentional humour. Some guy just slipping in after a long pause and knifing her. As someone who's slipped in and out of mild catatonia throughout my life at the behest of my depression, I agree, but I don't think they followed the book's descent into madness.

The show has this awkward way of adapting the things it adapts near perfectly but altering them so it's like entirely different people in the same roles making similar decisions but in their own different ways. This Cat just had a good deal of stress. Remember book Cat laughed after Bran's murder attempt, this one is very hard and stern. It follows then she was taken by grief but took it better in trade. The difference in how she handled Jon shows her book counterpart had more emotional fragility regarding most things besides their kids.

People here often say 'why do they change stuff for the sake of it?'. I thought this was a perfect example of 'why keep stuff the same for the sake of it?'.

The face clawing, craziness etc would have been too way over the top on screen. Her last act of violent defiance then that kind of final numb submission seemed much more sad and realistic the way it was portrayed - more human and gut-wrenching somehow than it did in the books (that's not to say it wasn't shocking, just not as moving somehow).

The acting was just phenomenal.

I agree face clawing would have been over the top, not that HBO hasn't gone over the top, but I liked what they did w/her scene and people seem to forget that the "line" about her hair wasn't spoken but thought and we know why she is laughing because we know what she's thinking, that would be virtually impossible to convey in a TV show.

I agree face clawing would have been over the top, not that HBO hasn't gone over the top, but I liked what they did w/her scene and people seem to forget that the "line" about her hair wasn't spoken but thought and we know why she is laughing because we know what she's thinking, that would be virtually impossible to convey in a TV show.

I agree. I think the director probably gave Fairley a lot of "space" to interperet the scene. The way her face and voice were transformed showed that she had reached the dark heart of the matter in her mind, not escaping into a more hysterical madness. It was different from the book. I love the face clawing in the book, but I think it would have been a distraction from the truth we witnessed on screen.

Catelyn was one of my favorite characters in the book, and I can't imagine how many hours I wasted defending her when these books first came out. But...isn't that kind of what happened to her in the books as well? I mean, there's no question she made a few questionable decisions in the books that did not work out. And, Robb sort of did sideline her in the books, ignored her advice (particularly after marrying Jeyne and her freeing Jaime), etc..

I really took this season's Catelyn/Robb arc as centering on his incredibly poor decision to marry Talisa/Jeyne. Catelyn was disapproving the whole time, and Robb just didn't want to hear it, even though Karstark and other events were suggesting he was wrong. She was sidelined because Robb wanted her sidelined.

But one specific gripe is that Catelyn never told Robb that one reason she released Jaime was because it looked like Karstark was going to kill him. Robb wasn't there, Karstark was getting out of control, and a murdered Jaime would have been catastrophic. It was the best reason she had for letting him go, and they did show that. But she never mentioned it to Robb.

Although, I suppose it's perhaps a somewhat lame excuse if she could have told some Winterfell guys to put a heavier guard on him. Don't know whether she could have done that or not, but I imagine if she'd told someone from Winterfell to put a heavier guard on Robb's prisoner, they'd have obeyed her.

But one specific gripe is that Catelyn never told Robb that one reason she released Jaime was because it looked like Karstark was going to kill him. Robb wasn't there, Karstark was getting out of control, and a murdered Jaime would have been catastrophic. It was the best reason she had for letting him go, and they did show that. But she never mentioned it to Robb.

Yes, it's like the showrunners forgot about this, quite annoying really. When Robb arrested her, she should've told him this. At the very least this would've happened once Rickard was executed and the Karstarks were gone.

Although, I suppose it's perhaps a somewhat lame excuse if she could have told some Winterfell guys to put a heavier guard on him. Don't know whether she could have done that or not, but I imagine if she'd told someone from Winterfell to put a heavier guard on Robb's prisoner, they'd have obeyed her.

The Karstarks were half Robb's army (which makes no sense, but that's what the show established) so this would've probably ended in a disaster.

Yes, it's like the showrunners forgot about this, quite annoying really. When Robb arrested her, she should've told him this. At the very least this would've happened once Rickard was executed and the Karstarks were gone.

The Karstarks were half Robb's army (which makes no sense, but that's what the show established) so this would've probably ended in a disaster.

LOL, I forgot about that, it is a bit of a plot hole isn't it? Oh well, no matter now.

I couldn't have put it any better. I was surprised by Cat not shredding her face at first, but on a rewatch, what they did worked so much better. Michelle Fairley's acting was superb.

:agree:

I had the same reaction, but on re-watch when I could digest it better, the look on her face is agonizing. I like that they played it this way instead of the face clawing. There was the devastation and a sort of acceptance of her death. She was already dead inside. :crying:

She yelled "AHHHHHH" not NO!

Same thing, really. It's the delivery that made me laugh.

As a parent, I totally understand her reaction.

Didn't say it wasn't understandable. Just that I found it funny when it wasn't supposed to be. I tend to have inappropriate reactions to things that happen in television or works of fiction...

Archived