Moments of Foreshadowing 5

Fire Eater

Well... I kind of think they won't go 'through' the Wall, but over it.

Imagine building a 700ft. - was it - Wall to keep the Others out and then they can still crawl/ride over it.

I'd disagree. The White Walkers might have ability to move as humans do, but the wights seem more zombie like.

For me, the wall is breached at some point and there's a way through like a section of the Berlin Wall coming down, but not the whole thing.

Let me try this again... Anybody?

Is this a foreshadowing?

"A few scatterd snowflakes were falling as they made their slow descent, dancingon the gusty wind. One followed the cage down, drifting just beyond the bars. It was falling faster than they were descendingand from time to time would vanish beneath them. Then a gust of wind would catch it and push it upward once again. Jon could have reached through the bars and caught it if he had wished." --Jon VI, Dance

If not what's Martin alluding to?

You're the one who found it, what do you think it means?

I read it over and over begore going into the office the other day and for me it's like Jon's snowflake; I can't quite grasp it. I don't think it's a foreshadowing. It feels more like an allusion. He had just sent Alliser and the other rangers off. Does the snowflake represent what's out there? He then fights Rs/Mance but I don't see any connection there. He then comes to believe that Arya is alive and we see in succeeding chapters that he can't quite save her. Maybe she's the snowflake. What is just out of Jon's grasp? I really just don't know but I think he was hinting at something. Oh well, maybee it will become obvious later in the series.

The falling snowflake is Stannis' offering of Winterfell. Jon is barred by his vows but the opportunity is there to for him reach out and take it if he chose to. Instead, he chooses to stick with the NW and eventually becomes Lord Commander.

And maybe he'll do the same when the IT is offered?

Good catches, Ser Wun Wun.

I remembered Shaggydog has black fur and green eyes. (OMG Shaggydog is a secret Tyrion!)

Yes, it is.

Could be. Putting together what we know so far and some really thoughtful observations from the posters upthread (Harlaw's Book and others), here's what I have, in no particular order:

1. Blacks vs. Greens = Dany/Drogon v. Aegon/Rhaegal (now, Aegon doesn't have to ride Rhaegal, necessarily, but Rhaegal will be ridden/controlled by someone in Aegon's faction). Each side needs a dragon for the dance to be a dance and not a rout.

2. Blacks vs. Greens leaves Viserion (cream/gold, "the white dragon") out. If the Dance is two-sided--blacks vs. greens--then Viserion has to be somehow neutralized for the second Dance (killed, off doing something else, or taken out of commission), so that the dance will be a dance and not, again, a rout. That begs the question of what will happen to Viserion if Viserion is not dead by the time the second dance gets underway.

3. Tyrion and Jorah both have black/green "colouring": Tyrion has green/black eyes, House Mormont has green and black as its colours. Someone upthread speculated that just as Jorah has been both a blessing and a curse to Dany, so will Tyrion be. If Tyrion does play both sides off each other, maybe Jorah will stand by him instead of rushing to throw his lot in with Dany again.

4. Blacks vs. Greens = Rhaenyra vs. Aegon II = Dany vs. Aegon VI. In the first dance, Aegon II triumphed and fed Rhaenyra to his dragon, but died shortly afterwards (leaving Aegon III, Rhaenyra's son, to inherit and reign thereafter for more than 20 years). In the second dance, we can imagine a different result: the female claimant triumphing over the male claimant. However, Dany will likely die without issue just as Aegon II did. The parallel probably ends there, since Aegon VI lacks a grown heir to inherit in his stead. Aegon might live long enough to father an heir on his wife before dying, although if his legitimacy is in question, that heir's chances of succeeding the throne once Dany's out of the picture are likely slim.

5. Unlike in the first Dance, Dany vs. Aegon VI will have the additional wrinkle of Aegon VI's legitimacy and Targ heritage being thrown into question.

6. Sansa observes on her wedding night that Tyrion's green eye is full of hunger (well, lust, but hunger is how she describes it) and the black eye is full of fury. This might describe the desires pulling Tyrion to favour each side in the Dance--Aegon offers power, while Dany offers vengeance, or similar--or it could describe Aegon and Dany themselves in the Dance: Aegon is greedy, while Dany is furious.

7. If Rhaegal survives the Dance, will someone else inherit him? I'd thought Jon was a good fit for Viserion (white direwolf, white dragon), but if Viserion is dead, then Jon's a natural fit to act as the remaining dragonrider, and what better mount than one named for his father?

8. Tyrion's green eye and black eye tying him to the two factions in the first dance, coupled with the vision of Tyrion "snarling and snapping" in the midst of dragons ("a small man with a big shadow"), seems to be confirmation that Tyrion's going to be influential in the second dance, although it may be that in spurring Aegon to go to Westeros first, he's taken the most significant step.

Here are the three colors again

"Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh." - Patchface

I'm sure this can be spun a few different ways, but from ADwD, Daenerys IV:

“We are an old people. Ancestors are important to us. Wed Hizdahr zo Loraq and make a son with him, a son whose father is the harpy, whose mother is the dragon. In him the prophecies shall be fulfilled, and your enemies will melt away like snow.

Just some word play about prophecies being fulfilled and... snow.

Well... I kind of think they won't go 'through' the Wall, but over it.

Imagine building a 700ft. - was it - Wall to keep the Others out and then they can still crawl/ride over it.

There was some speculation about Dany and the ants at the end of ADWD being foreshadowing for the Others going over the Wall:

She knocked them off and crushed them under her bare feet. There were so many … It turned out that their anthill was on the other side of her wall. She wondered how the ants had managed to climb over it and find her. To them these tumbledown stones must loom as huge as the Wall of Westeros. The biggest wall in all the world, her brother Viserys used to say, as proud as if he’d built it himself.

...although the Horn of Joramun seems like the mother of all Chekhov's guns, so one would think the Wall is coming down regardless.

It's an especially interesting word choice because Slaver's Bay seems like a warm/dry climate. Meaning, do they ever get snow? Is snow really the most pertinent thing in the Grace's mind? All the more reason to think it has some other layer of meaning.

Also, "whose father is the Harpy." Hizador is the Harpy.

The Green Grace is the Harpy, actually. As in the actual guerilla war-waging leader.

I started a thread on this but all I got was smoke up the butt...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/96388-galazza-galare-prophecy/#entry4937839

Is GG referring to TPTWP/AAR or some Giscari prophecy? The referrence to snow suggests to me that she has TPTWP/AAR in mind.

"The daughter of the great castle reigned as queen of love and beauty when the tourney opened. Five champions had sworn to defend her crown; her four brothers of Harrenhal, and her famous uncle, a white knight of the Kingsguard."

"Was she a fair maid?"

"She was," said Meera, hopping over a stone

The daughter of the castle was queen of love and beauty, with four brothers and an uncle to defend her, but all four sons of Harrenhal were defeated on the first day. Their conquerors reigned briefly as champions, until they were vanquished in turn.

Sansa is the "daughter" of the Lord of Harrenhal, and Meera hopping over a stone could be a reference to Sansa's alias, Alayne Stone. Her champions are her four brothers: Robb, Bran, Rickon and Jon (cousin actually). My crackpot is that her uncle, the Blackfish, will be the LC of the KG in the end. The daughter of Harrenhall's uncle was Oswell Whent, who wore the black bat of his house on his helm while the Blackfish's sigil is a black trout.

The Lannisters, Greyjoys, Boltons and Freys appear to have beaten the Starks but their reign as champions is brief. One of the champions in the story in the knight of the two towers, and the Freys will get what's coming to them along with the rest.

The winner of the tourney of Harrenhal in the end is the dragon prince, and the she-wolf is made the queen of love and beauty. There is only one actual dragon prince that we know of currently, Jon, who will triumph in the end along with the Starks.

"The daughter of the great castle reigned as queen of love and beauty when the tourney opened. Five champions had sworn to defend her crown; her four brothers of Harrenhal, and her famous uncle, a white knight of the Kingsguard."

"Was she a fair maid?"

"She was," said Meera, hopping over a stone

The daughter of the castle was queen of love and beauty, with four brothers and an uncle to defend her, but all four sons of Harrenhal were defeated on the first day. Their conquerors reigned briefly as champions, until they were vanquished in turn.

Sansa is the "daughter" of the Lord of Harrenhal, and Meera hopping over a stone could be a reference to Sansa's alias, Alayne Stone. Her champions are her four brothers: Robb, Bran, Rickon and Jon (cousin actually). My crackpot is that her uncle, the Blackfish, will be the LC of the KG in the end. The daughter of Harrenhall's uncle was Oswell Whent, who wore the black bat of his house on his helm while the Blackfish's sigil is a black trout.

The Lannisters, Greyjoys, Boltons and Freys appear to have beaten the Starks but their reign as champions is brief. One of the champions in the story in the knight of the two towers, and the Freys will get what's coming to them along with the rest.

The winner of the tourney of Harrenhal in the end is the dragon prince, and the she-wolf is made the queen of love and beauty. There is only one actual dragon prince that we know of currently, Jon, who will triumph in the end along with the Starks.

This analysis looks really good. As we know, the greatest tourney in memory took place at Harrenhal in the Year of the False Spring. So I think it would make lots of thematic sense for the greatest tourney of them all – the game of thrones – to end there, as well.

Given R+L=J, do you think this foreshadows a Jon+Sansa marriage and/or baby? Or rather, Jon winning the game and handing the crown (to the Seven Kingdoms) to Sansa?

Also, I've always felt that we were due for a "true spring" to balance out the false one we got in 281. With "spring" meaning some sort of political reform or change.

Archived