Moments of Foreshadowing 5

Fire Eater

Wow I absolutely buy into Tyrion going blind as well, as he turns into a gargoylesque statue from the greyscale. That damn tongue..

It's very peculiar that GRRM would single out that that gargoyle is "snarling sightless" isn't it? Why reference it's ability to "see" at all? It's a rather odd descriptive imo, unless you assume it is foreshadowing.

I'm not sure how Tyrion would go blind, but I can definitely see it happening.

On first reading, I presumed it was in reference to it not having pupils as detailing. I dont know why, but I get the feeling I've read descriptions of statues as blind before.

Ice was the ancestral sword of House Stark, taken by Tywin Lannister it was forged into two blades and given a new coloring, it was suppose to be crimson but ended up as 'waves of night and blood upon a steely shore.' Black and Red, the color of House Targaryen.

Oathkeeper, one of the two blades forged from Ice, was given to Brienne of Tarth by Jaime Lannister, with the promise to find Lady Catelyn's daughters and take them safely to her.

So I think Sansa Stark, House Stark's daughter and House Lannister's daughter-in-law, will get Oathkeeper and give it to Jon Snow, whom turns out to be the son of Rhargar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the other threads but there was an interesting detail described by Aziz and Ashaya over at History of Westeros (

which is credited to Bran Ross a fan); Brienne carries Oathkeeper which of course is reforged from Ice. She also carries a shield of Harrenhall. So Brienne is searching for Sansa while carrying a sword from her Paternal House Sigil (Stark) and a shield from her Maternal House Sigil (Tully via Whent).

Pretty sneaky GRRM, but what the significance is I'm not quite sure yet.

I can't remember the exact quote but in bran's last chapter in AGOT he talks of how he could strap himself to hodors back and be a knight that way. Luwin then tells him that two men cannot be one knight.

Foreshadowing of bran warging hodor in ASOS And possibly doing it again in later books.

Not that it foreshadows anything, but it's something I came across on my vacation to the Czech Republic. It reminded me of Bran and ravens so it was awesome. :D

We visited castle Hluboká, and when entering through the main gate, you could see that the gate had a special handle, something that also appears on the House of Schwarzenberg family crest/coat-of-arms:

Doorhandle: http://troubleinprag...06/dscn0172.jpg

Coat-of-arms: http://www.encyklope....cz/img/295.gif

In 1599, Adolf of Schwarzenberg was made Count as a reward for the victory over the Turks and the Schwarzenberg Coat-of-Arms received the head of a Turk out of which a raven is pecking out an eye.

It doesn't have to be anything ASoIaF/GoT related, but it shows how it can sneak into even your vacation. :)

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the other threads but there was an interesting detail described by Aziz and Ashaya over at History of Westeros (

which is credited to Bran Ross a fan); Brienne carries Oathkeeper which of course is reforged from Ice. She also carries a shield of Harrenhall. So Brienne is searching for Sansa while carrying a sword from her Paternal House Sigil (Stark) and a shield from her Maternal House Sigil (Tully via Whent).

Pretty sneaky GRRM, but what the significance is I'm not quite sure yet.

The shield may have been from Harrenhal but its sigil was from House Lothson not Whent.

Barristan I, ADWD, "The Queensguard":

"Of late, whenever he knelt to drink from a still pool, he saw a stranger's face gazing up from the water's depths."

Whenever I see the word "stranger", my eyes always perk. Possible foreshadowing of a Vic (or, I guess, Euron) duel with a bad ending for Ser Grandfather?

This was posted yesterday in the 4th thread (it's not locked yet for some reason).

Anyway, this reminds me of the pool of poison in the House of Black and White, and the "stranger's face" is the Stranger's, ie death's. Foreshadowing of Barristan being granted the Gift (maybe by Arya, no less) ?

Storm of Swords-

From Prologue, “Chett” -

"When he killed Sam Tarly tonight, he planned to whisper, "Give my love to Lord Snow", right in his ear before he sliced Ser Piggy’s throat open…

Is it just me or does that sound like a certain other murder that happens later? Apologies if it's already been mentioned, this is a long thread to trawl through)

I'm sorry if it has already been mention, too lazy to read everything...

I think it's in ADWD. Jon thinks about ser Axell Florent who let his brother burn. I think he thinks something like: "what kind of person would let his brother die in front of him without doing anything".

Whereas R+L=J is true, it might foreshadow one of this things:

a/ (F)Aegon, will be burn in front of him by Danny => This one is my fav, but that means that the 3 of them will be reunited somehow.

b/ Bran will be burn to death => means that during the battle for dawn 2.0 1/ he is manipulated by BR and TCOF and fight in the Others' side and jon's dragon or Dany's will have to kill him or 2/ he will die by accident

c/ (crackpot) Tyrion will be burnt to death => means that he truly is a Targaryen. But I really don't think in this case his death will be by Danny's will. Maybe if it appears he truly is a Targaryen, he will try to control one of the dragons and end up like Quentyn...

d/ His aunt Dany will be burnt. Maybe because she will turn as an Other or Jon will kill her to take the IT (absolute crackpot).

This (crackpots) theories also mean that "brother" must be interpreted like "family". Aegon being his half-brother, Bran his cousin and Dany and Tyrion (maybe!) his aunt and oncle.

I'm sorry if it has already been mention, too lazy to read everything...

I think it's in ADWD. Jon thinks about ser Axell Florent who let his brother burn. I think he thinks something like: "what kind of person would let his brother die in front of him without doing anything".

a/ (F)Aegon, will be burn in front of him by Danny => This one is my fav, but that means that the 3 of them will be reunited somehow.

b/ Bran will be burn to death => means that during the battle for dawn 2.0 1/ he is manipulated by BR and TCOF and fight in the Others' side and jon's dragon or Dany's will have to kill him or 2/ he will die by accident

c/ (crackpot) Tyrion will be burnt to death => means that he truly is a Targaryen. But I really don't think in this case his death will be by Danny's will. Maybe if it appears he truly is a Targaryen, he will try to control one of the dragons and end up like Quentyn...

d/ His aunt Dany will be burnt. Maybe because she will turn as an Other or Jon will kill her to take the IT (absolute crackpot).

This (crackpots) theories also mean that "brother" must be interpreted like "family". Aegon being his half-brother, Bran his cousin and Dany and Tyrion (maybe!) his aunt and oncle.

I don't know I think it hints towards something that had already happened. Dany calmly watched as her brother was killed in front of her.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. The mismatched eyes suggest that he might have a foot in the "green" and "black" camps or that he might wind up playing both sides against each other, and to a certain degree he's already started with that (giving Aegon advice that, while not benevolently intended, might wind up benefiting Aegon and hurting Dany). He might swear allegiance to one faction and then defect to the other. He might join up with Dany and wind up being committing one of the treasons (stealing a dragon, as some have speculated). And so on.

Whatever happens, the green/black symbolism suggests that Tyrion will be pivotal to the outcome of the second Dance, but then, we already knew that (as hinted by Moqorro stating that Tyrion was "snarling" amidst dragons).

Maybe a minor note, but in addition to the eyes, Tyrion has fought in two battles so far: The battle at the Green Fork and the Battle of the Blackwater.

I suppose those colors being in the names could just be coincidences, but maybe not given the other green/black symbolism surrounding Tyrion that's been mentioned.

@Harlaw: nice pick!

Totally unrelated(?), but when I was a kid my grandmother used to say that you cannot trust a woman who dresses in green. :smug:

@Coil: Thanks!

Maybe a minor note, but in addition to the eyes, Tyrion has fought in two battles so far: The battle at the Green Fork and the Battle of the Blackwater.

I suppose those colors being in the names could just be coincidences, but maybe not given the other green/black symbolism surrounding Tyrion that's been mentioned.

I like this.

Foreshadowing for BF meeting up with the BwB?

Yes, please!

Good point! Here's the quote in question:

Axell Florent’s brother had been burned by Melisandre, Maester Aemon had informed him, yet Ser Axell had done little and less to stop it. What sort of man can stand by idly and watch his own brother being burned alive?

I've seen this particular quote illustrating Jon's horror at Axell's actions towards his brother interpreted in light of what Jon may make of Dany in the future, give that Dany stood idly by while Viserys...well, wasn't technically burned alive, died a horribly painful death involving great heat. So it could be foreshadowing Jon's future attitude to Dany, but it could just be a nod towards Dany's actions towards Viserys, as Ice Turtle pointed out. Jon's disgust at Axell Florent standing by while his brother was burned alive could be a hint from GRRM that Dany is kind of an asshole, but I don't know that I would necessarily call that foreshadowing.

Could be, although I don't see Jon going that far south or Aegon going that far north. Watching Aegon burn alive would sort of require Jon to be there in the flesh.

Well, if R+L does equal J, then Bran is not technically his brother, and nor is Rickon. Just for the sake of argument, though, this runs into the same problem as with Aegon: Jon is not likely to be physically close enough to Bran to "watch" him burn alive anytime soon. Rickon, maybe, although of all the Stark siblings, Rickon's the least likely to have beef with Jon.

I expect that if Tyrion is a Targ (and I'm not saying he is), it will be revealed through Tyrion going into or being thrown into the same situation as Quentyn (for whatever reason) and the outcome being success instead of failure. Maybe something like some asshole throws him to the dragon(s) for fun or he's to be fed to the dragon(s) as punishment, and rather than getting killed, he winds up controlling the dragon(s). Maybe not riding, but at least in keeping from getting killed. It would be pretty much the same thing Tyrion's been doing all series long--been thrown into situations to suffer or die, only to escape miraculously through the intervention of some convenient plot deus ex machina or through his own wits--only with dragons involved.

That could very well happen, but I don't think that's what this quote foreshadows.

...And "brother" could just as likely refer to a brother of the Night's Watch. They're his brothers now, aren't they? And it seems perfectly plausible to me that Jon could stand idly by while one of the brothers of the NW who betrayed him and tried to murder him burned to death. Jon post-assassination attempt is likely to be a much harder sort of person who doesn't flinch from such things.

Argh, Ser Wun Wun, amazing catch!

Any other green/black references in relation to Tyrion? The only thing I can think of is Tyrion hanging out with Jorah Mormont, whose house colours are green and black. The wildfire Tyrion uses for Blackwater is green flame. (Drogon produces black flame, but that's not really germane to Tyrion personally.)

Good one. Makes a lot of sense.

When I reread Jaime's chapters in Feast recently, this was one of those "has this been there all along and why haven't I seen it before?" moments. I'll be very disappointed if it isn't foreshadowing because I'm usually awful at picking up on things like this.

I've seen this particular quote illustrating Jon's horror at Axell's actions towards his brother interpreted in light of what Jon may make of Dany in the future, give that Dany stood idly by while Viserys...well, wasn't technically burned alive, died a horribly painful death involving great heat. So it could be foreshadowing Jon's future attitude to Dany, but it could just be a nod towards Dany's actions towards Viserys, as Ice Turtle pointed out. Jon's disgust at Axell Florent standing by while his brother was burned alive could be a hint from GRRM that Dany is kind of an asshole, but I don't know that I would necessarily call that foreshadowing.

Interesting interpretation.

When I reread Jaime's chapters in Feast recently, this was one of those "has this been there all along and why haven't I seen it before?" moments. I'll be very disappointed if it isn't foreshadowing because I'm usually awful at picking up on things like this.

I think it's pretty legit, even if it doesn't happen. You're not crazy. ;)

Archived