Season 4 Roundup

Westeros

I still dream of finding the alternate universe where Harry Lloyd was cast as Theon and we get the good-looking always smirking Theon of the books.

Not that I am complaining. Alfie's take is different. But not invalid.

I want to find the alternate universe where Aaron Paul is english and plays Theon.

Regarding Theon and his arc in S3, I think you guys should have considered the production aspect as well. It would be pretty hard to expect from an actor to come back to filming the show after a 2-3 year hiatus. Especially since Alfie did an amazing job as Theon imo, he would probably be getting some big money projects in Hollywood so a recast would have been inevitable... And that would really suck, non-readers would have no idea who Reek is and it wouldn't make any sense to them.

And while many people now see the torture scenes as the low point of S3, I think after a couple of seasons when we start seeing Theon's redemption, the S3 arc will be praised in retrospect.

Also, it served as an amazing introduction to Ramsay and the Boltons in general, since we've seen so little of them previously.

Hopefully we will see a similar thing with Rickon's arc in S4, his travels with Osha to the Umbers and Skagos. Just without major WoW spoilers :)

Personally that would have been better for me. Alfie has been brillant as Theon, but they should have left him out. If he was still available yeah have him return with white hair etc otherwise just hire a new actor with a similar look for the ultimate Reek transformation.

I still dream of finding the alternate universe where Harry Lloyd was cast as Theon and we get the good-looking always smirking Theon of the books.

That's it... I missing Harry Lloyd again... :(

I must be the only one thinking Viserys is one of the most tragic characters in the saga, though...

Personally that would have been better for me. Alfie has been brillant as Theon, but they should have left him out.

Left him out totally? I think they had to show how he became Reek or it would be too big a jump. GRRM could get away with what he did because he can do flashbacks.

Oooooh, Harry Lloyd as Theon. There's a thought. He's even got Book Theon's dark hair. It would mean having Harry Lloyd through several seasons, as opposed to his limited run in Season 1.

(On the other hand, Harry Lloyd was just so perfect as Viserys. I somehow felt sorry for him when he died. Not many actors could have managed that.)

I have no complaints about Alfie Allen's Theon, though, even if I had my doubts back in Season 1. He's fantastic.

(On the other hand, Harry Lloyd was just so perfect as Viserys. I somehow felt sorry for him when he died. Not many actors could have managed that.)

He really pull off the tragic dimension of Viserys perfectly !

Personally that would have been better for me. Alfie has been brillant as Theon, but they should have left him out. If he was still available yeah have him return with white hair etc otherwise just hire a new actor with a similar look for the ultimate Reek transformation.

Personally, I wouldn't have liked that at all. Of all recastings, that would be one of the worst. To me, the point is that Theon looks the same on the outside but has been fundamentally changed on the inside by Ramsay's games.

On a side note: I might have missed it, but isn't it very possible that the amount of screen time for Theon is a budget thing? Having two guys in a room must be one of the cheapest things to record, right? Sure, there are scenes in King's Landing and elsewhere of the same type, but they would mostly have been filler as well.

So apparently Jerome Flynn (Bronn) was at NY comic con and heavily emphasised that season 4 will stray greatly from the books. He even went as far to say that he almost injured a fellow actor in a combat scene.

Call me crazy but the only major combat scene left in the second half of storm of swords is oberyn and the mountain. I swear if they make bronn fight four tyrion instead of oberyn I will bloody lose it.

So apparently Jerome Flynn (Bronn) was at NY comic con and heavily emphasised that season 4 will stray greatly from the books. He even went as far to say that he almost injured a fellow actor in a combat scene.

Call me crazy but the only major combat scene left in the second half of storm of swords is oberyn and the mountain. I swear if they make bronn fight four tyrion instead of oberyn I will bloody lose it.

Oberyn was seen doing spear training so that's not happening.

WHY anyone would ever "stray greatly" from ASoS is beyond me. But I'm sure D&D can do better if season two is anything to go by... :lmao:

I think he's replacing Ilyn Payne, and is helping Jaime to train with his left hand. Either that or something to do with Meryn Trant due to their previous interaction at the start of season 3.

Eyrie set's (well, the Eyrie throne room set, essentially the Eyrie set) been torn down: link.

My first thought was that that seemed premature, but after the end of ASOS, is the throne room really required? Makes sense that they won't need it anymore, filming any scenes set at the Eyrie in other rooms (like the scene with Catelyn and Lysa in Lysa's...bedroom, I think in season 1).

Set photos of a scene where three men are burned alive.

So apparently Jerome Flynn (Bronn) was at NY comic con and heavily emphasised that season 4 will stray greatly from the books.

Hmm. I'm going to assume that he's referring to the KL storyline, since that's the one he would know the best. I recall a few actors said similar things about their storylines in Season 3. It was true of certain plotlines, less so of others. We'll see.

If he's referring to the Shae storyline, I won't be at all surprised if that deviates from the book substantially, although I suspect we'll get to a similar destination even if the path taken is dramatically different.

Apart from the Shae business--since the Tyrion/Shae arc can't conclude the way it did in the books given the way TV Shae has been written without it being really out of (TV) character--I don't see the need for drastic rewriting of the KL arc, unlike in Season 3 where bumping the PW meant a lot of what was essentially filler. Aside from tweaking Shae's arc to take into account her characterization in the show, the post-PW stuff pretty much writes itself.

He even went as far to say that he almost injured a fellow actor in a combat scene.

Double hmm. Who's the other character? Ser Meryn? Jaime?

He'll probably be fighting Meryn, given their previous interactions.

However, one thought I had was that we could get a sort of Symon Silver-Tongue storyline. Maybe Tyrion gets jealous of a knight (Ser Tallad the Tall?) or even just a random singer/entertainer and has Bronn kill him? I think that'd be pretty awesome and it could easily be wrapped up within one episode, i.e prior to the PW. I'm hoping for this, but Ser Meryn is more likely, which in itself would be pretty awesome, but seeing Tyrion's dark-side like this, as well as Bronn actually earning his pay, would be terrific.

He'll probably be fighting Meryn, given their previous interactions.

However, one thought I had was that we could get a sort of Symon Silver-Tongue storyline. Maybe Tyrion gets jealous of a knight (Ser Tallad the Tall?) or even just a random singer/entertainer and has Bronn kill him? I think that'd be pretty awesome and it could easily be wrapped up within one episode, i.e prior to the PW. I'm hoping for this, but Ser Meryn is more likely, which in itself would be pretty awesome, but seeing Tyrion's dark-side like this, as well as Bronn actually earning his pay, would be terrific.

When is he going to have time to do that, given that the PW is apparently in Episode 2?

Stop trying to make [symon Silvertongue] happen! It's not going to happen. :D

When is he going to have time to do that, given that the PW is apparently in Episode 2?

Stop trying to make [symon Silvertongue] happen! It's not going to happen. :D

Episode 1?

Haha, not really too bothered about Silvertongue, it was just an outlandish thought I had. The thing I do want to see is Bronn actually doing something to earn his pay other than sitting on his arse all day drinking wine with the boss!

WHY anyone would ever "stray greatly" from ASoS is beyond me. But I'm sure D&D can do better if season two is anything to go by... :lmao:

Season 4 might be easier to watch if it strays further from the books as then it will just be a different series with characters with similar names to a really good series of books.

Archived