People who cruise in the passing lane

Ser Scot A Ellison

Should be a crime for one semi going 65.1 mph to pass another semi going 65 mph on a two lane highway.

But this is my favorite reality show on long road trips. "When Trucks Pass Other Trucks"

Commentator 1: Oh! He's gone for the passing lane, kicking it up to 65.1

Commentator 2: Bold move, no telling what's around the bend!

Commentator 1: By God! A hill! But he's nosed out ahead!

Commentator 2: I don't know, truck on the left looks pretty heavy!

Commentator 1: You're right! He's starting to fall behind

Commentator 2: This might take us into double overtime

But this is my favorite reality show on long road trips. "When Trucks Pass Other Trucks"

Commentator 1: Oh! He's gone for the passing lane, kicking it up to 65.1

Commentator 2: Bold move, no telling what's around the bend!

Commentator 1: By God! A hill! But he's nosed out ahead!

Commentator 2: I don't know, truck on the left looks pretty heavy!

Commentator 1: You're right! He's starting to fall behind

Commentator 2: This might take us into double overtime

Ugh. I watch that event everytime I drive up through the Berkshires.

Ace,

Just don't be an idiot in the passing lane is our point. Camping out slower than the flow of traffic has been shown to be dangerous. Do you dispute those findings?

Not at all, never claimed to. It's also dangerous to go faster than the flow of traffic, and also dangerous to go faster than the posted speed limits. Hell, getting in a car at all is really dangerous.

But I don't think this was a post about the dangers of driving, but more a rant of 'idiot drivers who are in my way'. I'm sure there's another thread in another forum complaining about some maniac jackass who rode a guys ass while going 5 over too.

Everyone thinks they are great drivers and if it wasn't for the other idiots on the road everything would be rosy.

Not at all, never claimed to. It's also dangerous to go faster than the flow of traffic, and also dangerous to go faster than the posted speed limits. Hell, getting in a car at all is really dangerous.

Apparently not, according to the Vox article:

Lanes changes account for about four percent of all car accidents in the US, and perhaps as much as ten percent of accidents on highways. Meanwhile, research has generally shown that the strongest predictor of an accident isn't speeding, but variance from the average speed of traffic — and a car going five miles per hour slower than the surrounding traffic has a greater chance of causing an accident than one going five miles per hour faster than it.

If relatively slow drivers are scattered among the right and left lanes, faster drivers have to repeatedly slow down and weave back and forth, changing lanes many times to pass all of them. If the slower drivers are all driving in the right lane, a faster driver can pass several at a time, then get back into the right, cutting down on the total number of lane changes and eliminating the slow downs.

There's even some evidence that this is why accident and fatality rates are so much lower on the German autobahn, compared to US interstates, even though speed limits are higher (or in some places nonexistent) in Germany. Lane discipline is much more strictly maintained there, allowing drivers to travel more safely at faster speeds.

Since higher speed limits don't appear to cause more accidents, we can assume that going above an arbitrary speed limit is not in itself dangerous.

Stupid phone app. <grumble grumble>

As I tried to say in answer to Zelticgar's (refuses to allow lower case) post, I think the fact that it's done unconsciously is a well known phenomenon. The mind recognizes a faster moving vehicle coming alongside and the foot instinctively presses down. Once the car passes, the driver slows down again.

I remember a study from a few years back about how most highways are safe (due to wide lanes and smooth, wide turns) at more than 10 mph above their speed limit, and that some municipalities deliberately set speed limits slower than safe speeds in order to get more traffic tickets.

So,

Left lane is for passing only, not for cruising. (Admittedly, it becomes the fast lane when there's a lot of traffic.) It's stated as much by the local governments.

And studies have shown that leaving the lane open for passing reduces accidents.

I'm not sure what there is to argue about.

Personally, I have no problem with someone in the left lane going slower than I am as long as they're going faster than the traffic in the right lanes.

And those videos of Russian drivers getting into accidents was mind boggling.

Archived