People who cruise in the passing lane

Ser Scot A Ellison

Really is annoying how many people just don't know basic rules of the road.

For serious. A four-way flashing red due to some bullshit is not uncommon around here, and people just have no fucking idea what to do in that situation. (Cheat: It's like a stop sign). Everybody either just says, "Fuck it!" and goes for broke like the average Coloradoan does when faced with a red light of any consistency, or freezes up completely and will not move for any reason. Either way, it's completely infuriating if you depend on the smooth flow of traffic to acquire your rent money.

• 6 months later...

Achtung, Georgians, and those who would drive in Georgia:

The Georgia Legislature approved a measure today that would allow police to ticket those driving too slowly in the left lanes on the state's highways and interstates.

The "slow poke" bill would require any driver on a divided highway to move to the right – even if they're driving at the speed limit — when a vehicle going faster comes up from behind, or face a misdemeanor charge.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/11/georgia-slow-poke-bill-advances/6298233/

I wonder if this could result in "double dipping" tickets for cops -- ticketing a driver moving at the speed limit who doesn't get out of the way, and the driver who was coming up faster.

I called the cops last year on a driver who swerved almost into the median divider twice, changed speeds from about 35 to about 75 a few times, was harassing me when I passed him (in the right lane), and before I passed him, had both hands off the wheel for about 5 minutes making gestures at people out his window.

Like Bale said, if I always called the cops, I'd never have been off the phone when I was making that commute, but I sincerely thought that this guy was going to kill someone. As I lack in empathy, by the time I called, I felt like he could kill himself for all I cared, but I didn't want him to swerve into someone else.

I've had a few out-of-town business meetings recently, and have been in the fast lane behind people who don't do the speed expected in the fast line, only to have them swerve across three or four lanes of traffic to get to an exit at the last possible moment.

I consider this practice to be one of the worst driving habits on multi-lane highways, so incredibly dangerous. When I reach the exit before the exit I want to use, I'm already moving over in preparation for leaving the highway. Admittedly the people in the fast lane that I'm talking about weren't driving less than the speed limit, but they weren't travelling at the speed people drive in the passing lane. And I don't stay in the passing lane, I pass in the passing lane to get to a gap in the middle lane, letting the speed demons go by me.

Someone in the last office I worked in was notorious for hogging the passing lane and then crossing three lanes or more of traffic to take his exit, and it always terrified us when any of us were passengers in his car.

I've never seen those slower drivers in the passing lane. I'm tempted to believe Unicorns are more likely to exist then what Scot mentioned.

Where do you live? I'll move there tomorrow.

• 9 months later...

There's so much irony in a law making it illegal to impede other people who want to break the law.

These things are all completely situational and everyone thinks they do it right all the time. I try not to let this little stuff bother me.

There's so much irony in a law making it illegal to impede other people who want to break the law.

Not really. Driving below the speed of traffic is dangerous. Speeding is dangerous. There are laws against both.

I notice a lot of third lane cruisers who like to cruise at 68 but will jack it up to 75 as soon as you move to the passing lane. It's like they either consciously or unconsciously want to screw with you so you have to go into the "speeding ticket" risk zone.

I notice a lot of third lane cruisers who like to cruise at 68 but will jack it up to 75 as soon as you move to the passing lane. It's like they either consciously or unconsciously want to screw with you so you have to go into the "speeding ticket" risk zone.

I'm no snitch, but even I'd report an unconscious driver.

I drive really slow in the ultrafast lane
While people behind me are going insane

I'm an asshole
(He's an asshole, what an asshole)
I'm an asshole
(He's an asshole, such an asshole)

I use public toilets and piss on the seat
I walk around in the summertime saying
"How about this heat?"

-Denis Leary

Not really. Driving below the speed of traffic is dangerous. Speeding is dangerous. There are laws against both.

Yes, really. These are two laws that in some situations you could be breaking at the exact same time.

Do you just get a charge out of nit-picking anything I say, because I'm starting to think you have a crush on me.

ETA: This whole thread reminds me of the old saying:

If you're going slower than me you're an idiot.

If you're going faster than me you're a maniac.

We all do it, and every one of us has been the idiot and the maniac.

Archived