People who cruise in the passing lane

Ser Scot A Ellison

I think we're talking about the left most lane in any situation. With the assumption that you'd be moving faster and "passing" cars without a problem in that lane.

I-95 varies from 4 to I think 8 lanes in certain situations. 4 - 6 being the most popular numbers.

One reason for this is that in many areas people are not taught that the left lane is the "passing" lane. They are taught, instead, that it's the "fast" lane, especially if the road is more than two lanes -- the main highway around me is four. Fast is, of course, relative. I myself was not taught that the left lane was only for passing until I was in college. Now I observe it religiously and get annoyed when others don't, just like you.

I'd like to bring up an ancillary gripe. I hate it when I move to the left lane to pass someone and they speed up. Then I look like the asshole blocking traffic and moving slower than traffic to my right. I can respond to this in one of two ways: stay in the left lane and pass when he almost invariably slows down again, or move to the right, if possible, and resume going at the speed I want to go, which he is now doing, at least for the next 10 seconds. Which I do depends on the situation and my mood. Lately I'm just waiting it out, because these assholes cannot maintain a constant speed to save their lives.

Lately I'm just waiting it out, because these assholes cannot maintain a constant speed to save their lives.

For the most part I'm speeding to get the fuck away from these folks, who sense something in their peripheral and all of sudden think we're racing.

For the most part I'm speeding to get the fuck away from these folks, who sense something in their peripheral and all of sudden think we're racing.

I know I've done this before. But it didn't have anything to do with racing. Usually it's because once I realized someone was passing me, I looked down to check what speed I was going, and then realized that there was no point in going that slow and then sped up accordingly.

Racing didn't have anything to do with it.

I know I've done this before. But it didn't have anything to do with racing. Usually it's because once I realized someone was passing me, I looked down to check what speed I was going, and then realized that there was no point in going that slow and then sped up accordingly.

Racing didn't have anything to do with it.

Then maybe you should first wait for the person to complete passing you. ;-)

I have a different take on this as I am usually driving a larger vehicle, like a dump truck with a trailer/equipment. Generally try to stay in the right unless I am going to have to turn left soon. Don't like waiting for the last second to get over so I get over early if I can and maybe that can mess up the whole passing lane thing but my responsiblitity to drive in safe manner is more important in this instance, keeping in mind that I'm driving a much larger vehicle. I'm not sure why people in passenger cars are not more cognisant of this.

Like I said, people suck at driving.

It should be mandatory to go on a ride-along in a heavy vehicle before you're allowed to get your license.

People just have no understanding of the realities of heavy vehicles. They are big, they need more room to do pretty much anything, they're heavy so they can't get going very quickly and they take a much longer time to stop.

Also, regardless of who is at fault in the situation, who do you think is going to fare better in a truck versus car showdown? Why are people not more concerned with self-preservation than they are? It's like crosswalks; I always make sure that the vehicles are actually stopping before I step out onto the crosswalk. If I get squished it doesn't matter much if that bus was supposed to stop.

Depends a bit on the number of ramps, since speed differences and people switching lanes are most dangerous there. And there is the issue of increased noise at high speeds.

Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea in areas with lots of Junctions, and I also don't want to give the impression I'm against speed limits as a whole, I'm really not, but for on the whole straight,clear Motorways I'm all for them being unlimited.

Hey, you. In the passing lane. You see that ball of light in your rearview mirror? That is my taxi, and whether I get to eat or not today depends on getting to this call before the other guys. If I was allowed to arm my taxi, you could track my movement from orbit by the trail of burning wreckage that I would leave in my wake.

I know from my own experience that when I used to spend a inordinate amount of time in the left lane, it was because I was always passing someone. I.e., I was usually driving 20-25 mph above the limit and faster than most everyone else on the road, so it seemed like I was a left lane sitter, but I was literally just passing a whole lot of cars at a stretch. This was in my younger days. If the road was empty, I would stay in the middle lane.

Nowadays, I don't speed as much and I spend much less time in the left lane than I used to, but occasionally, I'll have to pass several cars, not just one or two, and I'll be in the left lane for a while. But not like the old days.

Naz, the manner in which you used to drive is a great deal like the way I drive now. I do spend an inordinate amount of time in the left lane because I'm always passing someone, and of course, I'm driving considerably over the speed limit.

Ithink a left lane blocker should have some self-awareness when people are actually using the right lane to get around them. That should be a huge signal that the person in the left lane needs to get the hell over. My latest gripe on the roads: Two cars, in different lanes, going the exact same speed so as to block anyone from traveling over the speed limit or getting around them. Vigilante fucking drivers, in the worst possible passive-aggressive way. Ugh.

Archived